• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

i was in that end as well,as a 15 year old.
Never rememberthat many B&Bfc fans in that end
Remember all the trouble,3 B&bfc fans standing very near me,thenstarting to " Bournemouth boot boys rule allllll"
That was the end of them...i thought then what idiots.
Also i remember the England "man" mascot,forgot his name,top hat with a tash...walking in front of the Southend fans before the game,on the pitch side ,waving (he must have also been a B&bfc fan) and Southend fans trying to knock his top hat off.
That was one of those NEVER to be forgotten game....super MAC,super Mac..what a mucking TW!t
These pictures were taken the season after the cup tie , as you say that was one game that you dont forget .

I think you're thinking of the South Bank programme shop!

Friends and I ,the Youth Section committee-I'll offer some initials...PB,PM,RH,JA,PC...opened and ran the South Bank prog shop ca.1967 and the work was continued by Steve Millington and later Mick Bailey,when the above were all away at universities.
However,prior to that,there was a sort of club shop but for many years on the NW corner of the ground

Friends and I ,the Youth Section committee-I'll offer some initials...PB,PM,RH,JA,PC...opened and ran the South Bank prog shop ca.1967 and the work was continued by Steve Millington and later Mick Bailey,when the above were all away at universities.
However,prior to that,there was a sort of club shop but for many years on the NW corner of the ground
This is the one I remember.

I remember it as Brother Grimms shed

These pictures were taken the season after the cup tie , as you say that was one game that you dont forget .
Now i am confused!!
Those pictures are from the 71 cup tie??We played Villa round one,then Bmouth.Were those photos of that game??
Confused i am,but it does not take a lot!!!

Sussed. went up into the loft for my old progs .the photos are of the 72-73 game,which i was also at,but by train.
The 3 "Hells angels " look alikes,who were asked politely by i think "Leigh Comm"to move,which they did,via St Johns Amb, was the 71-72 cup game.
Just to add to my confusion, i went with Brother Grimm,to the 70-71 game,also to the 73-74 game,where the police thought we should leave a few minutes before the end of the game,which we did,but as we walked past the Bmouth end,South stand?? the Bmouth fans pushed through the police (2,one was a women) and attacked us.Frankie.T,Gingers brother dived under a coach to get away from the overwehlming assault.There was only about 30 of us,some,if i remember from the Chestnut Drive lot..
The next game we played there ,i think was bank holiday August 76?? went early with Nutty Norman,friday night,on sunday off to Sussex v Essex,sunday league game..
Bournemouth away was always interesting.

Last edited:
Charlton H 1972 report.jpgCharlton H 1972 goal.jpg

Blues 1 Charlton 1 1972
Check out comment about fighting hooligans - was this the game where Charlton came over the West Stand wall into the North west corner?

View attachment 4938View attachment 4937

Blues 1 Charlton 1 1972
Check out comment about fighting hooligans - was this the game where Charlton came over the West Stand wall into the North west corner?

Yep. The alley behind the West Bank was full of them. Some of them followed us bunking into the North Bank toilets. It seemed like the queue to bunk in was bigger than the queue for the turnstiles

A long time ago but when we started it I don't recall the Grimms being involved.

Their game was coach travel.

Very true, you could buy progs,etc there,but in the early 70s,you could book up your away game by coach..which started as the Youth section??Then away travel club??...But anyway,i always booked up there then..away games..Brother Grimms coaches.

Yep. The alley behind the West Bank was full of them. Some of them followed us bunking into the North Bank toilets. It seemed like the queue to bunk in was bigger than the queue for the turnstiles

They tried to take the North Bank , but came of second best to Leigh Comm .

Very true, you could buy progs,etc there,but in the early 70s,you could book up your away game by coach..which started as the Youth section??Then away travel club??...But anyway,i always booked up there then..away games..Brother Grimms coaches.

Started under Peter Butler and also Steve Millington ,surely?

YEP,may well be...but i only remember it with the Grimms.
First away game was 68,but not sure where or with whom i booked up with

Sussed. went up into the loft for my old progs .the photos are of the 72-73 game,which i was also at,but by train.
The 3 "Hells angels " look alikes,who were asked politely by i think "Leigh Comm"to move,which they did,via St Johns Amb, was the 71-72 cup game.
Just to add to my confusion, i went with Brother Grimm,to the 70-71 game,also to the 73-74 game,where the police thought we should leave a few minutes before the end of the game,which we did,but as we walked past the Bmouth end,South stand?? the Bmouth fans pushed through the police (2,one was a women) and attacked us.Frankie.T,Gingers brother dived under a coach to get away from the overwehlming assault.There was only about 30 of us,some,if i remember from the Chestnut Drive lot..
The next game we played there ,i think was bank holiday August 76?? went early with Nutty Norman,friday night,on sunday off to Sussex v Essex,sunday league game..
Bournemouth away was always interesting.

Aug 76 game was when a certain JN attired in white boiler suit ran the length of the pitch to get at Bournemouth. He was promptly arrested. When I got back to Southend - JN was having a pint outside The Spread!

The FA Cup tie at Bournemouth.

fa-cup-second-round-match-afc-bournemouth-2-0-southend-united-ted-erxdw2.jpg

fa-cup-second-round-match-afc-bournemouth-2-0-southend-united-ted-erxb4b.jpg

Aug 76 game was when a certain JN attired in white boiler suit ran the length of the pitch to get at Bournemouth. He was promptly arrested. When I got back to Southend - JN was having a pint outside The Spread!

When we had nowhere else to play, we used to bung JN a few quid to play 7 card stud poker in his high rise flat, Lol, about 1980 ish. Just before he moved to Manchester Drive, Leigh. Great Bournemouth photo's as well, by the way.

Always wondered about this.Became good friends with a Bournemouth supporter and went to a couple of Southend away games there with him in the 80s .Was told of this Southend nutter who ran the length of the pitch in a white butchers coat and dived into the crowd by one of his mates who had never forgotten what looked like a kamikaze Act!

My neighbour went to a boot sale today and picked up a couple of hundred Aston Villa programs as he is an avid Villa fan. In amongst them he found a copy of Blues News which he gave to me. It's a Christmas double program and covers the Boxing Day League 3 game against Charlton Athletic on 26th December 1973 and then The Halifax Town game on 29th December 1973. The price of the program was 15p! There is also an item in it about Blues 3rd round FA Cup game away to Peterborough United on5th January 1974. Ticket prices were 65p and 55p. 2.00pm kick-off assuming the power supple was available. If I remember correctly that was when the UK wide power restrictions were in force. There are some great photos in there including a two page spread of the team in full kit on one page and the second page had all their signatures. I'll scan some of the photos and post them on here.

Back