Likes Likes:  1,789
Page 90 of 99 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1477

Thread: Old photos of Southend United.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Love the old days, where it was absolutely compulsory to wear a hat. Indeed, you were turned away at the turnstiles if you weren't sporting one!

Not many ladies either maybe two?
    There is one bloke without a hat, 2nd row in the middle. All got shirts and ties as well.
    I wonder what future fans will think of our photos in 100 years time. Mind you that's if the club has lasted that long.

Quote Originally Posted by LBBlue View Post
    What else is there to do on a wet miserable day but to reminisce about the good old days. 4th Jan 1975 - in front of 18,100

Attachment 5184
    Attachment 5185
    Attachment 5186
    Attachment 5187
    Some big names in that QPR side - Stan Bowles, Frank McLintock, Gerry Francis, Don Masson, John Beck, Don Givens and some bloke called Dave Webb amongst others.

When we pulled it back to 2-2, there was nearly a mini Ibrox disaster on the North Bank, as so many surged forward. Fortunately we were able to 'dig in' half way down & stem the flow.
    Just glad the North Bank was'nt much bigger with many additional numbers behind us.
    Was a great day though.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bests boot laces View Post
    When we pulled it back to 2-2, there was nearly a mini Ibrox disaster on the North Bank, as so many surged forward. Fortunately we were able to 'dig in' half way down & stem the flow.
    Just glad the North Bank was'nt much bigger with many additional numbers behind us.
    Was a great day though.
    I will always put that game above the Man Unt game .

A very classy side were QPR at that time.

We had some fantastic forwards this season, and so entertaining to watch. Garner and Best of course, who were different class. Gary Moore and my favourite winger of all time Terry Johnson. He had pace and would mix it up by going inside and out, normally tying the left back in knots. He also scored plenty of goals. He had a fantastic record for us of roughly a goal in every 4.5 games. Fantastic for a winger. He scored one of the best bicycle kicks ever under the floodlights, but I can't remember who against. He was Player of the season the one after this.

Junior Blues Co-ordinator OldBlueLady's Avatar

And our latest recruit to SUEPA, TSNB!

Quote Originally Posted by THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK View Post
    We had some fantastic forwards this season, and so entertaining to watch. Garner and Best of course, who were different class. Gary Moore and my favourite winger of all time Terry Johnson. He had pace and would mix it up by going inside and out, normally tying the left back in knots. He also scored plenty of goals. He had a fantastic record for us of roughly a goal in every 4.5 games. Fantastic for a winger. He scored one of the best bicycle kicks ever under the floodlights, but I can't remember who against. He was Player of the season the one after this.

Any of that 1971/72 squad would be a great addition to the team we have now .

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bests boot laces View Post
    Was a great day though.
    Remember people searching for their shoes,a couple i think ended up behind the goal.
    Then was our penalty "shout",cannot remember if it was or not.
    As you wrote,a great day

Could not remember the great Phil Chisnall playing for us in the 71-72 season!!But his face is there in the squad!!
    As good as Terry Johnson was,i thought Morris our best ever winger,followed maybe by Spud

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
    Could not remember the great Phil Chisnall playing for us in the 71-72 season!!But his face is there in the squad!!
    As good as Terry Johnson was,i thought Morris our best ever winger,followed maybe by Spud
    Phil must of signed for Stockport as soon as that picture was taken , I am sure that him and Sammy McMillan played at Roots Hall that season against Southend , as for Terry Johnson all to your own .

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
    Remember people searching for their shoes,a couple i think ended up behind the goal.
    Then was our penalty "shout",cannot remember if it was or not.
    As you wrote,a great day
    The North Bank was the place to be that afternoon .

SUFC74-75-2 (2).jpg

How things moved on 1974-75: Only Dave Elliot and Terry Johnson left from 71-72.

There's some great photos in the 74/75 match programmes - Can anyone remember this penalty? I think they are still trying to get the ball out of the net to this day!

SUFC74-75-AMPEN.jpg

Nearly 9 years on two 1966 heroes played together at Roots Hall.

SUFC74-75-WCW.jpg

SUFC74-75-NS.jpg

Here's Nobby (Looks like Peter Silvester in the photo)