• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

dodgeblue

Youth Team
Commentator Guy Mowbray on BBC Radio 5 live
Crystal Palace 0-0 Sunderland
Posted at
"I always marvel at Sunderland's away support. I once went to a match at Southend's Roots Hall on a Tuesday night, in thick fog, and Sunderland took over. Even though their fans couldn't see a thing because of the fog."
The above just posted on BBC sport site. Anyone remember this game?

I was in the South for this (can't remember if it was upper or lower) and you couldn't see much past the half way line.

When Sunderland scored, their fans didn't realise until they were running back for the centre. It was bizarre.

The ground was practically empty after the second goal went in, it had become a farce. It should've been abandoned, I'd imagine the ref was mindful that the opposition had travelled all the way from Sunderland and they were winning, it would've been easier to stop and re-arrange another game if we were playing a more local team perhaps.

I remember that game those days i used to sit about the half way line in the west.

When Sunderland scored it was at the South Bank end,
We could just see it but the Sunderland supporters who tried to crowd in the bottom part
of the North Bank west corner, had no idea they had scored until they saw there players
running past the halfway line towards them celebrating.
They then let out a massive cheer and started celebrating even though they had seen nothing!!
By the end of the game you could not see both goals.
Never been to a game that bad before and dont imagine i ever will again.

I was there in the South - Lower I believe. Couldn't see a bloody thing from kick off. Complete farce that it was allowed to continue. Also the season we lost Chris Powell and after a decent start, fell away in typical Sputhend style. I think that's what happened that season!

Commentator Guy Mowbray on BBC Radio 5 live
Crystal Palace 0-0 Sunderland
Posted at
"I always marvel at Sunderland's away support. I once went to a match at Southend's Roots Hall on a Tuesday night, in thick fog, and Sunderland took over. Even though their fans couldn't see a thing because of the fog."
The above just posted on BBC sport site. Anyone remember this game?
I was there with my Father as he's from Sunderland, Michael Gray ran rings around the left hand side , with runs across the defenders ,

I didn't go to the Sunderland game but remember a similar experience in the 70's. FA Cup game against AP Leamington (I think) stood on the old South Bank and couldn't see past the halfway line. The only clue we had to goals at the North Bank end was when our supporters started cheering and then we waited to see if the teams would line up for a restart. We won 4 nil if my memory is working properly.

I was there in the South Lower. They scored an own goal and a pen from what I recall and yeah as fbm said when Sunderland scored one of their goals (the pen I think) their fans didn't have a clue until the following kick-off. I seem to recall the referee stating afterwards that the game was fine as the linesman could see across the pitch from the East to the West and vice versa but you definitely couldn't see the length of the pitch and it was a shambles that it was allowed to continue.

EDIT - that match report says Michael Bridges scored but I swear it was an oggie.

I was there in the South Lower. They scored an own goal and a pen from what I recall and yeah as fbm said when Sunderland scored one of their goals (the pen I think) their fans didn't have a clue until the following kick-off. I seem to recall the referee stating afterwards that the game was fine as the linesman could see across the pitch from the East to the West and vice versa but you definitely couldn't see the length of the pitch and it was a shambles that it was allowed to continue.
EDIT - that match report says Michael Bridges scored but I swear it was an oggie.

Michael Bridges came on as sub and was outstanding. If not for injury he would have been an England regular IMHO. After the penalty which the Sunderland fans knew nothing about, the Sunderland team went back for the kick off and there was an all mighty roar as they realised they'd scored. I think then Bridges curled one in to the far post but it was a long time ago and I'm a bit senile now.

I didn't go to the Sunderland game but remember a similar experience in the 70's. FA Cup game against AP Leamington (I think) stood on the old South Bank and couldn't see past the halfway line. The only clue we had to goals at the North Bank end was when our supporters started cheering and then we waited to see if the teams would line up for a restart. We won 4 nil if my memory is working properly.

I think we hold the record for successive away wins at Roker Park. Four in a row and this led to the sacking of a few Sunderland managers. After all, you cannot get lower than being thrashed by the mighty Shrimpers at home.

I'm probably wrong, and it may well be one of those urban myths with no foundation, but I was always under the impression that for a game to continue/take place in fog the referee had to be able to see both goals from the centre spot; obviously the crowd wouldn't have much of a view from either end.....

Michael Bridges came on as sub and was outstanding. If not for injury he would have been an England regular IMHO. After the penalty which the Sunderland fans knew nothing about, the Sunderland team went back for the kick off and there was an all mighty roar as they realised they'd scored. I think then Bridges curled one in to the far post but it was a long time ago and I'm a bit senile now.

You're making that up.

No-one had a clue whether he was any good or not because they couldn't see him.

Back