• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would RM want to buy Prospects ?
did the bloke from prospects say anything about Sainsbury ?

X years ago he was quoted as saying the deal with Ron had fallen through and he was now selling to Sainsbury not Ron. Ron responded that it was a partnership and he was selling to Sainsbury and Ron. It all seemed very petty but maybe there is more to it (source echo article, don't have time to find it).

Can we all take our SUFC cynical heads off for a minute and put on their rational ones on just for a minute. Does anyone really think that a company the size of Sainsbury's and with the monetary clout they have. would put out to tender a job of this scale without already having dotted all the 'I's and crossed all the 'T's? I'm 100% sure Prospects and ST Mary's are but mere formalities now.

Their strategic review has been on their corporate books for nie on a year now so it's made perfectly good sense to hold back on all things to do with the redevelopment of the RH site until they know where it's heading. Now we have it in black and white here is what I expect to be seeing in print over the next few weeks/months into the New Year. And probably in this order too.

1. A deal has been reached with the owners of Prospects that allows Sainsbury's to push forward with their plans for the RH site.

2. St Mary's Court ....see above

3. The remaining shops in Victoria Road.......again, see above.

4. The tender has been won by (insert name) and work will begin in earnest in X weeks.

5. RM to now pop his head above the parapet and give us all a firm timescale of not only the RH site but FF as well.

The whole stumbling block we've seen this past 12 to 18 months has all been J Sainsbury's doing with their review. That's now not a problem and as can be seen by the tender they've put out they fully intend to get what they want regardless of what the owner of Prospects or anyone else says.

Happy days :D

Based on?

We've been saying for months that the hold up is Sainsburys. There's no more hold up. Sainsburys are going to tender. The Roots Hall site will be demolished.

Sorry to burst the only bubble of optimism we have had but Ive heard that this tender doesn't mean anything, there is currently no plan whatsoever to begin the demolition of anything and getting the stadium built first is still required, and that seems to have no progress.

I do love to get carried away when it comes to the stadium but this tender isn't a sign of anything unfortunately.

X years ago he was quoted as saying the deal with Ron had fallen through and he was now selling to Sainsbury not Ron. Ron responded that it was a partnership and he was selling to Sainsbury and Ron. It all seemed very petty but maybe there is more to it (source echo article, don't have time to find it).

Here.
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/4848725.Sainsbury___s_set_to_buy_Prospects_site/

Then Prospects was 'sold' in April 2012. Happy days.:happy:
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/archive/...__Prospects_College_site____sold_for___2m___/

But in December 2012, it was all going pear shaped.:sad:
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/10126997.Prospects_throw_doubt_on_Blues_stadium_plans/

And here we are today.
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/11579090.New_doubt_over_Southend_United_s_stadium_plan/

Sherif will be able to comment but I am sure they could demolish the stadium in 12 months easily.

They dont have to build the store in that time this tender is for the site demolishing, and the store can be started before the stadium comes down, its not in the same location.

I haven't seen the Sainsbury plans, nor am I particularly interested in them to be fair (in fact, I'm pretty indifferent to the entire FF scheme), but there are means and ways of getting around the historic contaminated nature of the underlying ground. It may transpire that the soil has been compacted for so many decades now that the bearing capacity (basically it's ability to hold another structure without deforming/subsiding etc..) is more than sufficient for the likely piled foundations for the new supermarket, but they may need to deal with pockets of methane/radon or the like - this doesn't cause any major concerns - you just mitigate the risk by venting the ground and placing an impenetrable barrier (similar to a damp proof membrane) between the ground and the concrete slab forming the floor of the new store.

As for demolition time, I would have thought that any timescales quoted are actually for the removal of RH and the complete site strip and preparation for the new build. Bear in mind that the RH site is a topographical nightmare and levelling will involve a lot of importing of fill materials (or on-site washing and re-use of demolition spoil) bridge the low spots and provide a level site upon which to start construction.
The physical demolition of Roots Hall wouldn't take anywhere near 12 months...much less. However, you have to consider that all of the visible asbestos will need to be sealed and removed prior to demolition, and buildings of this age often have nasty surprised lurking below in the foundations. We recently demolished a stand for Borehamwood of the Conference South where we anticipated finding the usual shallow and wholly unsuitable foundations of the 1950's, but actually found deep strip foundations made up of crushed brick and chunks of corrugated asbestos panels - this remediation work took longer than the whole demolition process.

Cheers Sherif.

All sounds academic anyway as the tender doesn't seem to have any substance to it, there are no immediate plans to do anything in relation to what it lays out.

I don't agree JM. No plans from Southend's end maybe but I don't believe we hold the power in this situation.

Sainsbury have all the influence, but they couldnt just roll up and demolish the stadium, its still ours.

The inside track is saying nothing is happening, this sadly ties up with everything else, ie no deal for Prospects, flats being re-let.

Would be delighted to be proven wrong.

The 3 sided stadium will kill the club with only ticket sales to fund the wages!,God help us if Ron demands rent on top as well.

I don't like the idea of a 3 sided stadium, but from a revenue perspective it's no different to Roots Hall, i.e. we just rely on ticket sales to fund wages. (I doubt the hospitality actually makes a huge amount, and I'm sure they'll be able to continue with that in one form or another. Don't forget most of the corporate hospitality is from a bunch of portacabins even now. There's no reason why that can't continue.)

The benefit will obviously be greater when the 4th side is built, which is an upside the Roots Hall doesn't have.

Cheers Sherif.

All sounds academic anyway as the tender doesn't seem to have any substance to it, there are no immediate plans to do anything in relation to what it lays out.

Wasn't it always in the original plan that work would start on the current car park,flats and prospects while we were still playing at roots hall, alongside work being started at FF? I'm sure I remember that the council had agreed that we could use their car park up the road on match days so that work could begin on both sites at the same time and wouldn't effect the current stadium being used. If I remember correctly as well the actual footprint of the Sainsburys store didn't overlap with the footprint of the stadium so that would make sense I think!!

so is this document saying we are getting this of the ground in the next two three years

Like I said, as I heard, there is no substance behind that document, there are no current plans to do anything.

Like I said, as I heard, there is no substance behind that document, there are no current plans to do anything.

Presumably those who were happy to take that original document as gospel proof that all is well and the stadium is just around the corner are now distraught, almost suicidal, given that it has been removed.

Personally I was no more or less encouraged by its appearance nor by its disappearance.

I remain of the view that the current incumbent does not have the wherewithal to make it happen and, like others, would love to be proved wrong.

Presumably those who were happy to take that original document as gospel proof that all is well and the stadium is just around the corner are now distraught, almost suicidal, given that it has been removed.

Personally I was no more or less encouraged by its appearance nor by its disappearance.

I remain of the view that the current incumbent does not have the wherewithal to make it happen and, like others, would love to be proved wrong.

Than Mick.It's a comparative.

I'd go further than that. Many will lambast me for this, but, playing Devil's advocate, who would shed a tear if this were to collapse and RM were to be forced to walk away once and for all?
FF goes ahead, we are lumbered with the current regime for the long haul...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back