• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the money that Sainsburys advanced to the club in order to bail us out of various court cases etc. What is that secured against? Theoretically, could they seize assets from SEL as we can't pay it back or was it all tied to them fulfilling their part of the deal - i.e. if they bail, they forfeit the advances.

I'm sure that loan was secured on a plot of land RM owns near Benfleet station IIRC.

Why ? Are you saving up?

http://www.havocscope.com/black-market-prices/contract-killing/

More seriously, I wouldn't want to be the one sorting out his financial affairs in that situation !!!

What with Christmas , I think I will save the cash.
I don't dislike the man that much !
I was just thinking that although many think he's the devil in a suit , should anything happen to the chap , the mess could be far worse than we currently have.

So today, my sales man comes up to me laughing, saying i proberly already know about this, and handed me a peaice of paper.

While he was searching for projects to tender on he came upon one for Roots hall.

It was a tender alert, for contractors to tender for the demolition of Roots Hall in March 2015, i to laughed at this, thinking, is this another twist in the story of roots hall.

Personnally, i quite like Roots Hall.

SNR.

So today, my sales man comes up to me laughing, saying i proberly already know about this, and handed me a peaice of paper.

While he was searching for projects to tender on he came upon one for Roots hall.

It was a tender alert, for contractors to tender for the demolition of Roots Hall in March 2015, i to laughed at this, thinking, is this another twist in the story of roots hall.

Personnally, i quite like Roots Hall.

SNR.

How reliable is this? This could be the end of Southend United if that is in anyway true....

Unfortunately it does make sense, we use Tescos a fair bit as its our local store but I have never gone there looking for TV's or clothing, that business model does seem really dated.

Then again Walmarts in the states is even more broad in their products and I found that shop far more useful. Its the half baked attempt by the likes of Tesco and Sainsbury thats the problem, the "extra" part seems a small add on and not worth the effort.
It's interesting to note that Asda opened a small store in Rayleigh approx 5 years ago. It was either the second or third small adds, can't remember which. Anyway for the first few years it smashed sales figures (occasionally beating the much larger woodham store). My point is that it would appear that asda continually underestimated how well a small store could do so it's no surprise that supermarkets are looking at this new type of small supermarket in and around housing.

The large supermarket is most definitely not dead. The major companies may be reticent to invest in them for a while but they will survive and grow. Some of the recent problems have been self-imposed and cannibalistic. Initially, when some of the cheaper retailers (Aldi and Lidl) made market inroads, the larger boys kept their eye on profitability/margins and made up for losses by increasing prices. Not too shrewd. Now they have almost missed the boat in terms of competing in cut price sales.

Aldi and Lidl et al have limited choice but that does not mean they have less quality and for the moment customers are happy to forgo choice for price. This will diminish once wages rise in line with or above inflation. Even now Waitrose has managed to grow and they were always far from 'cheap', despite adding some low priced options.

As for cannibalistic, the majors have introduced small, town centre/local stores but they have not provided higher customer numbers but merely taken the numbers from their own bigger stores. The giants have fed on themselves instead of gorging on market rivals. Like it or not, the out of town supermarket is key to bigger choice and lower prices in the future. If all the big supermarkets closed and we had the equivalent to a corner shop mentality then prices would soar. Logistics alone make it more difficult and more expensive.

The giants brought with them a cheaper way to shop that has benefited shoppers for decades and will continue to do so. On line shopping will make serious inroads but for some decades to come, people will still go out to shop big style.

Considering the planning application has RH being demolished after the Sainsbury store is built . The stadium area is for the enabling housing development. I would imagine that any tender would be for either the demolition of the shops, st marys court or Prospects , or its for the leveling of the car park , which given the slope is a major undertaking.
Who was the tender document from ?

has anyone received the Aldi christmas brochure through their door yet. It really is superb. They are gunning for Waitrose customers. Aldi and Lidl are real game changers and I don't see the big supermarkets recovering for many years. Possibly the one big store will have to become 3 smaller outlets, 2 of which will not be Sainsbury's.

One word........ C o v e n a n t

Nice word. Is it a positive or a negative covenant? It would appear to me that in order to comply with the covenant, one has to spend money, which makes it a positive covenat. As none of the original parties in the covenant agreement are now involved, the courts rarely enforce a positive covenant. Maybe a better use of the covenant paper in question is to use it as a replacement for Andrex.

I am still of the rather rose tinted belief that Sainsburys could still be very interested in the Roots Hall project, if not with the original plans but with a revised plan, and these are my reasons.

The future of their current London Road site is undecided, and with the leasehold up for discussion within two years, they may decide to refocus elsewhere.

As was outlined in the their strategic review plan, current habits are trending toward smaller localised shopping and more online ordering and home delivery.

Sainsburys along with other major retailers are looking to expand this part of their business. An online delivery despatch hub combined with a smaller retail store on the Roots Hall site would, I believe, may meet such criteria. Whether the site is large enough for both, given the fact that car parking provision will be much less, is for those with more knowledge than I.

As for the location of the despatch centre, positionally it would be pretty central for deliveries to most of Southend, across to both Shoebury/Eastwood and north towards Rochford covering many of their customers.

The retail store would be still be considered in-town and due to a smaller footprint they may not be restricted by the same restrictive Sunday trading hours as are the larger stores.

I have tried to look at this with a full pint of optimism and my opinion may be torn apart but while there is no news there still is hope.

Further Project information from the tender alert site.
The tender alert is a 2 page document, but the main bullet points that caught my eye were.

· Project Details - Sainsbury’s Superstore - Rootshall

· Scheme -Demolition of football stadium and redeveloping of comprising food superstore including erection of fuel station, associated landscaping and vehicle parking.
· Timing -Start March 2015 - End March 2017.

The tender alert was dated 19.11.14

This information may keep the hopes up of those that want the new ground, orjust help to confuse us further with the muddle known as fossets farm, who knows.

Personally i can remember when Vic Jobson said, "yes we have put in a building application for a new ground". That was 18+ years ago. I gave up believing this would ever happen a long time ago.

I would love to see Roots Hall Re-developed, but i know that would be un-ecomonical, but still, its a nice thought for me thou.

Snr.

Further Project information from the tender alert site.
The tender alert is a 2 page document, but the main bullet points that caught my eye were.

· Project Details - Sainsbury’s Superstore - Rootshall

· Scheme -Demolition of football stadium and redeveloping of comprising food superstore including erection of fuel station, associated landscaping and vehicle parking.
· Timing -Start March 2015 - End March 2017.

The tender alert was dated 19.11.14

This information may keep the hopes up of those that want the new ground, orjust help to confuse us further with the muddle known as fossets farm, who knows.

Personally i can remember when Vic Jobson said, "yes we have put in a building application for a new ground". That was 18+ years ago. I gave up believing this would ever happen a long time ago.

I would love to see Roots Hall Re-developed, but i know that would be un-ecomonical, but still, its a nice thought for me thou.

Snr.

You have a link?

Didn't we go out to tender earlier this year? Or was that just for Fossets Farm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back