• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm working on a project and need any good quotes about Southend United. For instance I seem to recall someone (possibly Kevin Keegan) once said "Roots Hall is the Wembley of the lower leagues", can anyone conform this?

Any quotes from players/managers or opposition would be great.

Just did a quick search and found this on the Spurs forums which would seem to bear out that it was Keegan:

http://forum.earnyourspurs.co.uk/topic/8801374/1/

Ex Southend player Chico Hamilton when at Villa , said Southend had some of the best supporters in the country and how the crowd at Roots Hall would help the team to beat Chelsea in the League Cup in 1972 , in a newspaper article the weekend before the game .

Drastic™;1678505 said:
I'm working on a project and need any good quotes about Southend United. For instance I seem to recall someone (possibly Kevin Keegan) once said "Roots Hall is the Wembley of the lower leagues", can anyone conform this?

Any quotes from players/managers or opposition would be great.
Kevin Keegan called us the Manchester United of the Fourth Division mainly because of the large crowds we got when he played at Roots Hall in 1968-69 & 1969-70 this he said on "On The Ball" Saturday lunch-time football programme with Brian Moore when we played at Derby County in the F.A.Cup 5th.Round in 1976.In the previous round Derby beat Liverpool 1-0 and he was the guest on the programme, his quote went something like this "I wish this match was being played at Roots Hall because when I played for Scunthorpe Southend were like the Manchester United of the Fourth Division. (I posted the above article on THE OLD SOUTH TERRACE in July 2013)
progress.gif

Just did a quick search and found this on the Spurs forums which would seem to bear out that it was Keegan:

http://forum.earnyourspurs.co.uk/topic/8801374/1/

Thanks for that OBL
I scrolled further down that page to find this stat printed shortly before our JPT final

Apr 5 2013, 08:41 PM
21 - Southend have recouped more points from losing positions than any other team in League Two this season. Resilient.

If only that were still the case this (and last) season, speaks volumes about our current plight.

"The left back Johnny Herd is a faaakin midget but he has got a monster long throw. You useless lumps at the back-- and you're biggest lump of all Terry you useless, slow c***-- have got to be able to deal with that" Felipe Scolari

I also recall reading about a foreign team wanting to get one of our staff on there books. Only trouble was that it was the groundsman they wanted and not a player!

When Sir Alex Ferguson came here with his Manchester Utd team he was told about our plans for a new stadium etc. He said "this club is going places" !

I recall David Webb, when he was in charge at Chelsea in 1993, saying in a press interview that his previous Chairman (Vic Jobson) made Ken Bates (the notoriously abrasive Chelsea Chairman) seem like Mary Poppins.

Michael Ricketts may (or may not) have said "I ain't playing somewhere where they don't put onions in the burgers".

I also recall reading about a foreign team wanting to get one of our staff on there books. Only trouble was that it was the groundsman they wanted and not a player!

I'm sure that was the Swiss team Grasshoppers, may be mistaken though!

Didn't Barry Fry say 'I love this club' as he got in his car to drive to Birmingham and sign his managerial contract? And didn't he have 3 of our players in the boot?

Alternatively innovation of positive enthusiastic and behavioural and attitudal policies will see the Club mount a serious challenge for the Premier League, a dream for us all. Thereby placing credence on a contribution of modest genuine supporters' natures, that everybody can be proud of. Because they will seem to have the most incisive productive effects. Effects that nobody would have dared envisualised two months ago.

Alternatively innovation of positive enthusiastic and behavioural and attitudal policies will see the Club mount a serious challenge for the Premier League, a dream for us all. Thereby placing credence on a contribution of modest genuine supporters' natures, that everybody can be proud of. Because they will seem to have the most incisive productive effects. Effects that nobody would have dared envisualised two months ago.

That must have been a quote from Steve Tilson

We're about to make a signing that will make the football world sit up and take notice.

Anyone remember that! The signing was Michael ricketts.

alternatively innovation of positive enthusiastic and behavioural and attitudal policies will see the club mount a serious challenge for the premier league, a dream for us all. Thereby placing credence on a contribution of modest genuine supporters' natures, that everybody can be proud of. Because they will seem to have the most incisive productive effects. Effects that nobody would have dared envisualised two months ago.

parklife!!

not Southend,but a German said once ,on tv,"Chris Waddle runs like a duck,but the difference is, a duck is quicker"!!!

Back