• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ayrshire Blue

The Custard Splat
Match Preview: Midfielder Will Atkinson wants Blues to play with freedom on Saturday against Hartlepool United at Roots Hall. http://bit.ly/1xAJlEc

Is it getting to the players how the manager is stifling the game when we go in front? I think especially in midfield we have good players and they're just not being allowed to play.

I've seen Deegan and Timlin getting a bit of stick on here for going sideways and backwards. Is that really their fault if that is what the manager is instructing them to do?

Is it getting to the players how the manager is stifling the game when we go in front? I think especially in midfield we have good players and they're just not being allowed to play.

I've seen Deegan and Timlin getting a bit of stick on here for going sideways and backwards. Is that really their fault if that is what the manager is instructing them to do?

Players have to be at fault somewhere; do you really think the manager says to the team, right lads get 1-0, then sit really deep and play the ball sideways and whatever you do don't go forward and don't work as hard as you did before you went ahead!!!

"It’s been a frustrating time for all of us. We’re a confident bunch though and hopefully we can transfer that onto the pitch."

"We know we’re a good team and we need to play with that confidence and freedom on Saturday."

Depends how you read it. As he says "confidence and freedom" makes me think he is referring to not being nervous on the ball.

The problem isn't the passing, whether it be forwards, sideways or backwards, but the lack of movement and swapping of positions. How can you open up defences when players are not moving to create space?

Players have to be at fault somewhere; do you really think the manager says to the team, right lads get 1-0, then sit really deep and play the ball sideways and whatever you do don't go forward and don't work as hard as you did before you went ahead!!!

I believe we're told to go 1-0 up and hold it, yes!

I believe we're told to go 1-0 up and hold it, yes!

I do too. As soon as we go 1-0 up it's like night and day. The whole mentality, work rate and drive is sucked out of the side and I fail to believe that 11 professional footballers do that off their own back. It's clearly instructions from the management.

What I've seen of Deegan, he can only play when he doesn't have the ball. The Fact Brown seems to have him as first name on the teamsheet speaks volumes. As others have said, what on earth Conor Clifford has done wrong to get dropped is beyond me. Wait for Deegan to get his inevitable red card and see how much better we play with him out for 3 games.

Atkinson should be confident and have freedom as he will be on the bench on Saturday............................

What I've seen of Deegan, he can only play when he doesn't have the ball. The Fact Brown seems to have him as first name on the teamsheet speaks volumes. As others have said, what on earth Conor Clifford has done wrong to get dropped is beyond me. Wait for Deegan to get his inevitable red card and see how much better we play with him out for 3 games.
Well he hasn't really come close to that since he broke into the team. Every team needs someone who will hassle and break up play, not pretty but its' effective, we should have enough creativity from other players, Deegan is what he is, others are under performing so I guess he's the scapegoat for some because he isn't a flair player.

Well he hasn't really come close to that since he broke into the team.

Quite. He's not even the Irish midfielder most likely to be sent off in that post.

While Deegan has been brought up, I'd personally have Atkinson over him. Deegan might charge around and throw himself into tackles, which is what some mistake as "passion", but he has to do this because he is nearly always in a poor position. For someone who is a "defensive midfielder" he doesn't seem to track any runners from midfield or offer protection to the back 4 in any way. The Chester 2nd goal was a good example of this, their player was on the edge of the area in an unforgivable amount of space. It wasn't due to clever movement, it was just him realising he could stand there and not get picked up.

Why is it inevitable? He hasnt been sent off once in his career in over 100 games.

Deegan is a different player to Clifford (who has got sent off plenty), he offers much more as a defensive player. He wont be scoring goals like Clifford, but thats not his role in the side.

I think Deegan has been one of our best players this season, but because he isnt running with the ball or scoring screamers some wont appreciate what he does.

While Deegan has been brought up, I'd personally have Atkinson over him. Deegan might charge around and throw himself into tackles, which is what some mistake as "passion", but he has to do this because he is nearly always in a poor position. For someone who is a "defensive midfielder" he doesn't seem to track any runners from midfield or offer protection to the back 4 in any way. The Chester 2nd goal was a good example of this, their player was on the edge of the area in an unforgivable amount of space. It wasn't due to clever movement, it was just him realising he could stand there and not get picked up.

Whilst he may not stop every opposing midfielder that ever makes a run, he does break up plenty of moves.

Paul Clark really likes us having Deegan in the side. He says he's a real nuisance, he gets in their faces, he says he does all the dirty work, some of which goes unnoticed. He once said during his BBC Essex commentary that he would hate to play against him.

Paul Clark really likes us having Deegan in the side. He says he's a real nuisance, he gets in their faces, he says he does all the dirty work, some of which goes unnoticed. He once said during his BBC Essex commentary that he would hate to play against him.

And Clarkey should know bearing in mind the players he played alongside :winking:, bet he'd have loved to play alongside him, every team needs the player that does the stuff that has to be done, most tend to do it without getting noticed, a la Craig Easton, but Deegan does tend to get noticed more than most. Personally, I think our midfield is considerably 'nastier' to play against when he's in the side. :thumbsup:

That's enough for me to make my mind up... I definitely don't want him in the team now. While paul Clark may be well intentioned, he only seems to praise people for doing what he would want them to do and how he would want them to play. I've heard him criticise players for keeping possession rather than launch the ball forward for example.

Back