• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jerome Binnom-Williams: Southend United will cope without me against Hartlepool

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United loanee Jerome Binnom-Williams is backing whoever fills in for him at left-back to shine against Hartlepool this weekend.

More...

I was impressed with this lad the first couple of times I saw him. Seemed effective going forward & got back & did his defensive bit as well. Also thought he looked good in the first half in the cup. The problems with distrubution etc seem to happen when he gets stuck out wide with little or no help - at times last week he had 3 guys round him & no easy pass - the same thing used to happen with Straker & invariably a lot of the time possession is lost & the crowd get on his back.
I do feel that he has lost a bit of form - he is still quite inexperienced & a break may be of benifit to him.

I like Jerome I don't get what people don't like about him.

He is a decent young player and Im sure he will have a decent career, he just isn't the player some said he was after his first game.

I'm sure we can find someone else to lollop around looking a bit disinterested.

The annoying thing is that this lad has all the potential to make it big in the game... he just lacks something. Whether this is attitude, desire , passion i'm not sure ... but often i think his body language doesnt impress.
He's got a sweet left foot, Is strong , good in the tackle, can ease past a defender with a body swerve/step over + stick in a decent cross, he's good in the air , he gets in good positions from set pieces and could(should) have scored 4 or 5 goals this season.

...its just something that indicates he's not giving 100% for us , which may be just a confidence thing.
Fans pick up quickly on this and will pick on him unless he learns to at least look like he's up for the battle.

Hate to say it, but not a fan of Jerome at all. Was really impressed after his first couple of games but it's all gone a bit downhill from there. His positioning is really poor and my biggest gripe with him. He's got the ability, but needs to learn to read the game a bit better than he does at the moment. If you watch him, he gradually starts creeping forward on the left until he's making a full blown run forward on his own. If we lose possession, he's then too slow to get back and is a mile in front of play when he should be defending. Lost count of the amount of times I've seen Prosser/Deegan and others covering for him recently. Coker manages to attack and defend so why can't Jerome? Does he not have the same desire to get back and cover that Coker does?

Williams to me looks like he's just desperate to score and will happily abandon his defensive duties in the pursuit of his first goal. When Coker is back I'd still like to see Williams on the wing instead of Weston, even just for one game to see how he does.

Hate to say it, but not a fan of Jerome at all. Was really impressed after his first couple of games but it's all gone a bit downhill from there. His positioning is really poor and my biggest gripe with him. He's got the ability, but needs to learn to read the game a bit better than he does at the moment. If you watch him, he gradually starts creeping forward on the left until he's making a full blown run forward on his own. If we lose possession, he's then too slow to get back and is a mile in front of play when he should be defending. Lost count of the amount of times I've seen Prosser/Deegan and others covering for him recently. Coker manages to attack and defend so why can't Jerome? Does he not have the same desire to get back and cover that Coker does?

Williams to me looks like he's just desperate to score and will happily abandon his defensive duties in the pursuit of his first goal. When Coker is back I'd still like to see Williams on the wing instead of Weston, even just for one game to see how he does.

Think a lot of it is loss of confidence given the side are doing badly and the lack of support from left wing.

Luton away he was the only attacking option on the left but he cant play two roles so I think he looks poor defensively where as the reality is he is doing more than say John White who looks solid but never over laps.

Jerome is 19 years old, so leave the poor kid alone. He was very impressive in his first couple of games, and has lost confidence as our performance levels have dropped. No surprises there! He has a 1 match ban, which no doubt he will learn from, and there is no natural cover for Saturday, as he IS the cover for Ben Coker. I think we will miss him, because he is starting to work well with Prosser, and I am sure whoever goes into the left back slot on Saturday will do their best.

Back