• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chester and Hartlepool collectively have conceded nearly 60 league goals yet we managed only 1 goal from open play!Simply not good enough .

If Barney returns he still won't score with Brown in charge .

Brown IMO is a desperate manager and his reign here must be coming to an end.

Bore off and enjoy the win. 2 wins on the bounce in the league and people still getting on the managers case.

First half wasn't good, despite effort from the players, second half was much better. Our attacking play is clearly lacking confidence; they look scared to shoot and no-one attacks the six-yard box.

Worrall looked very good, again, and is starting to emerge as a big player for us. He was by far the most effective attacking player on the pitch. Hurst grew into the game and after a disappointing first 60mins started to find some form. Having these two in form could be key for us.

The make-shift back four did okay, but weren't really challenged. Lenny also was improved, especially in the second half.

The players seemed happier in this formation rather than the 433 PB seems to prefer this season. I would prefer Barnard (if he returns) in the striker role over Corr as I believe he would suit the system and benefit more from the way Worrall, Hurst and Payne were playing yesterday.

Chester and Hartlepool collectively have conceded nearly 60 league goals yet we managed only 1 goal from open play!Simply not good enough .

If Barney returns he still won't score with Brown in charge .

Brown IMO is a desperate manager and his reign here must be coming to an end.

Or, Mansfield had conceded an average of 1.19 goals per league game. We scored 2 fantastic goals against them, away from home.

or

Mansfield and Hartlepool collectively had conceded an average of 1.35 goals per game. We scored an average of 1.5 goals against them.

Or

Actually, I can't be bothered to selectively find some more stats to suit my argument...

This was a step in the right direction but we will need to improve further if we are to stay near the top. Well played to Worral - the guys that came in did ok - Glad to see Hirsty up for it particularly second half.
Wish we could have worked the decrepit CB with the boobs more - when Worrall did that's when we scored .
Pleased to win. Disappointed in the plank who shouted "That was ****" at PB at the end - no pleasing some folk.

Bore off and enjoy the win. 2 wins on the bounce in the league and people stivreatll getting on the managers case.

We have just beaten the worst team in the league 1.0, a team that frankly were awful with defenders constantly making mistakes.. Our keeper has had a great game keeping us in it. I don't remember their keeper having to make great saves.

After the match people are saying we are only a sticker away from being a good team. We can find exactly the same comments in October, September, and August. At the same time Barney is scoring whilst on loan.

And just remembered, after scoring with the singing in W just in a lull someone tried a. 'Phil browns barmy army' chant. Not one person joined in. The only chant started with effort that failed. Speaks volumes.

So I am happy with the win and enjoyed yesterday but at the same time I am not naive enough to think everyone is fine and dandy because it simply isn't

Or, Mansfield had conceded an average of 1.19 goals per league game. We scored 2 fantastic goals against them, away from home.

or

Mansfield and Hartlepool collectively had conceded an average of 1.35 goals per game. We scored an average of 1.5 goals against them.

Or

Actually, I can't be bothered to selectively find some more stats to suit my argument...
In fairness to Mrs blue, any stat that looks at averages is not really relevant. Average is likely to get us to mid table ( not always granted). I would expect a team hoping to be in the top 7 as a minimum to aspire to scoring more than the 'average', our defence would have to be very very good

We have just beaten the worst team in the league 1.0, a team that frankly were awful with defenders constantly making mistakes.. Our keeper has had a great game keeping us in it. I don't remember their keeper having to make great saves.

After the match people are saying we are only a sticker away from being a good team. We can find exactly the same comments in October, September, and August. At the same time Barney is scoring whilst on loan.

So I am happy with the win and enjoyed yesterday but at the same time I am not naive enough to think everyone is fine and dandy because it simply isn't

Well said.

Brown has had 81 games so far which in my mind is sufficient to discover whether his team will succeed or fail,Brown IMO will either stumble into the play offs(I think the autos are beyond him)and narrowly lose the semi's or completely miss the PO.

This was a step in the right direction but we will need to improve further if we are to stay near the top. Well played to Worral - the guys that came in did ok - Glad to see Hirsty up for it particularly second half.
Wish we could have worked the decrepit CB with the boobs more - when Worrall did that's when we scored .
Pleased to win. Disappointed in the plank who shouted "That was ****" at PB at the end - no pleasing some folk.

I hate it when Ron does that !

Normally when you hear those type of comments after a win in the East stand, it's Dagenham Kev. Unfortunately he has mental health issues, so you just have to ignore it. I heard him launch a tirade at PB when we had just played brilliant and battered a higher league club Millwall 4-1 in the FA cup. Brown was shouted at, '' THAT WAS A DISGRACE BROWN'', ''I SEE BETTER FOOTBALL OVER THE PARK''. Was you in the East stand?

I kind of thought that too. I thought Prosser was in control of himself even after the Pools player had shoved him and the ref was over pretty soon after. The Pools player should have been sent off, he laid hands on Prosser and pushed him

Hardly violent conduct. Anyone who thinks that's violent has let a very sheltered life.

Petulant ? Aggressive ? Sure, but violent conduct? Happy with yellow for that.

Coming into the game, I have to say it has been a long time since I have heard the atmosphere so flat. None of the players names were greeted with any cheers when the team was read out. It was as though the crowd had turned up at a funeral. There seemed to be a general feeling of "Here we go again" and "We've done our bit, now over to you. Impress us." among the crowd.

Hartlepool had a big, strong spine running through the team but they played as though they were strangers. They were certainly one of the worst, if not the worst side to visit the Hall this season. Yet they still nearly scored in the first few seconds. Apart from that though, the half was run by the Blues but as a spectacle it was like watching paint dry. The crowd were quiet, there was no zip on the pitch and it was just frankly boring. Even the few chances - and there were a few - that we created failed to get the crowd "up". Hurst headed straight at the keeper from a decent move and there were some glimpses of what was to come. Barry Corr had 3 shots, two on target and one off but none really made the keeper work. Thompson possibly had the best opening when put in at the back post but his shot was hopelessly wide and high. Hurst had a couple of off target attempts and Prosser put a clear header over when he should have done better. There was a general feeling that Hurst and Worrall should have swapped although it may well have been Worralls choice to play in front of John White, who he has developed an understanding with. However, near the end of the half Hartlepool came into it a bit. Anything they did came down their left and hopelessly exposed Thompson's failings as a right back, which he most certainly isn't. The ball was worked in and Bentley made an impressive save low down to his left.

So, 0-0 at half time, a few boos from the East and most people I guess wondering why they didn't choose to go Christmas shopping. It was as dull a half as I've seen for some time.

For once we didn't have a lead and so there was no need for the opposition to change tactics. Hartlepool had come here not to get beat and that hadn't changed. However, at last some excitement... Timlin bursts forward and hits a stinging shot which their keeper parries and Payne nearly makes the rebound. Another goal attempt followed soon after with Worrall firing a shot across goal but just past. There was a bit more to watch now and the crowd started a "Come on Southend" chant... the first I'd heard all game. Apologies to TBV if you were vocal in the first half but it certainly wasn't that evident over in the East Blacks if you were.

Timlin and Leonard were breaking up stuff in the midfield and Hurst was having his best game for some time. Corr was being buffeted about by the big centre backs but was holding the ball up as best he could and it seemed as though Jack Payne was playing slightly further forward. It was then a delightful move which led to the goal. Timlin did brilliantly to win the ball, played it to Corr who laid it off superbly to Worrall who ran straight at the heart of the defence. What a fantastic decoy run by Jack Payne to make the space Worrall ran into and he finished superbly.

That then forced Hartlepool to change things and for a few minutes we looked nervous and started playing deeper, inviting them on. That didn't last though and soon we were on the front foot again, pressing for a 2nd. Unfortunately we couldn't hit the target and Dan Bentley saved our blushes when he made a late full length save to protect the lead. Hartlepool were guilty of some poor finishing as well and a better side would have surely tested us. But at least we got our first home win since the end of September and are still in the play offs.

One thing that can't be denied is the work rate. All this talk of Brown losing the dressing room is tosh. The players battled for him today and we ground out a result. It will start to come, of that I'm confident. We have a decent squad and as a crowd we need to be behind the team. Next weeks trip to Tranmere won't be easy but we can hopefully play without pressure and on the back of 2 league wins and then we have another very winnable home game against Northampton which hopefully will send us into a very difficult December with confidence high.

For me, it is essential that Brown's contract is sorted one way or the other. There is a cloud of uncertainty and a 1-0 win against the bottom side doesn't make everything ok in the same way that an FA Cup defeat to a Conference side isn't the end of the world. Brown is either the man Ron wants or he isn't. Do the deal or get rid. Either way, sort it out so we all know where we are.

Ratings

Bentley - 8 - Did everything expected and made a great late save
Thompson - 5 - Sorry, not a right back. Was protected more in second half so did less wrong.
Bolger - 8 - Best I've seen him play. Could do with being a bit stronger at times.
Prosser - 7 - Decent enough, guilty of a bad miss in first half.
White - 7 - Did a solid job at left back.

Hurst - 7.5 - Much better from him.
Leonard - 8 - Back to the Lenny of old.
Timlin - 8.5 - MOM - Unluckily booked and really broke everything up well.
Worrall - 8 - Top scorer now... 3 in 5 is a great ratio. It's also more than he's ever scored before which I find really hard to believe.

Corr - 7 - Playing because he has to, giving 100%. Second half showed signs of a partnership with Payne.
Payne - 7 - Playing more forward in second half, these two could be a "Little and Large" type duo. It could work and I'd like to see PB give them a go over a few games.

Subs - none. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... although I was expecting a tactic time wasting sub in injury time.

Ref - 7 - Didn't really notice him which was a good sign.

Hardly violent conduct. Anyone who thinks that's violent has let a very sheltered life.

As a matter of interest Mick, if his hands had shoved Prosser in the face rather than the chest, would that have been a straight red?

Used to be a sending off though, Freddy got his marching orders vs Huddersfield for pushing someone in the chest.

They seem to have downgraded it though, and rightly so.

As a matter of interest Mick, if his hands had shoved Prosser in the face rather than the chest, would that have been a straight red?

As always it depends on the precise nature of the "shove". Obviously a push to the face has more potential to do damage and therefore the chances of a red card are that much greater.

In fairness to Mrs blue, any stat that looks at averages is not really relevant. Average is likely to get us to mid table ( not always granted). I would expect a team hoping to be in the top 7 as a minimum to aspire to scoring more than the 'average', our defence would have to be very very good

In fairness, Mrs Blue took the last 2 games and therefore did look at averages.

I took the last 2 league games and we did collectively score more than average against these two teams and we have a very good goals against record.

Everyone knows we need a 20+ goals a season striker, as do most clubs. Not for want of trying though is it? And we are not sitting back, as our lack of finishing chances made is evident.

In fairness, Mrs Blue took the last 2 games and therefore did look at averages.

I took the last 2 league games and we did collectively score more than average against these two teams and we have a very good goals against record.

Everyone knows we need a 20+ goals a season striker, as do most clubs. Not for want of trying though is it? And we are not sitting back, as our lack of finishing chances made is evident.

The truth is under Brown we on average score 1 goal per game.This situation has been ongoing throughout his tenure.

Every forward have struggled under the tactic used even premiership starlets have been nullified.It surely cannot be every forward is gash?

Back