• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Barnard be given another chance after loan

• Yes

Votes: 176 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 22 11.1%

• Total voters
He was devoid of confidence and wasn't scoring when playing. For me, it was the right decision. Hope he comes back and starts scoring for us. Had he not gone, we would still be playing him and him not scoring

I didn't see him devoid of confidence, I saw him frustrated at a lack of supply and an insistence in playing one style of attacking play.

He was devoid of confidence and wasn't scoring when playing. For me, it was the right decision. Hope he comes back and starts scoring for us. Had he not gone, we would still be playing him and him not scoring

Only we weren't playing him despite us firing blanks, my point is had we played him to his strengths we may have scored more than 1 goal a game, his confidence would be fine and Stevenage would have less points to challenge us.

I didn't see him devoid of confidence, I saw him frustrated at a lack of supply and an insistence in playing one style of attacking play.

It doesn't matter what I say, you will always say the opposite. My opinion is he didn't look confident. Not sure I agree with the clap trap of strikers not being able to play if the game doesn't suit their style of play. He is a professional footballer and should be able to adapt. Not sure how Stevenage set themselves up but he has fitted in there perfectly

Only we weren't playing him despite us firing blanks, my point is had we played him to his strengths we may have scored more than 1 goal a game, his confidence would be fine and Stevenage would have less points to challenge us.

He got game time before he went on loan. Never looked like scoring and would have continued that way. Be thankful he has gone on loan and possibly found some form and confidence

He got game time before he went on loan. Never looked like scoring and would have continued that way. Be thankful he has gone on loan and possibly found some form and confidence

How much game time did he get? If he had as much game time as some others, who I won't name and shame, in my opinion his return would have been better than theirs.
Stevenage fans must be laughing their socks off at us!

If he's brought back then Brown must start him and give him a good run of successive games, simple as that. If he comes back to sit on the bench you'd have to start seriously questioning how PB is managing this club. The pressure will be off Barney and all on PB as he will have shown he can score goals elsewhere at the same level. The tactics and hence lack of service for the forwards is the main problem.

Are we going a little over the top? A couple of tap ins at the end of a game that was already won! Is this a change player from a couple of weeks ago? Think we need to wait a bit to find out!

Are we going a little over the top? A couple of tap ins at the end of a game that was already won! Is this a change player from a couple of weeks ago? Think we need to wait a bit to find out!

The problem is the supply line. Yes we have a lot of possession but how many real clear-cut chances are we actually creating? Not many. We look better with Worrall in the team, he's outshone Hurst recently who has had a poor season so far by his standards. Another key point to make is that we also seem to be creating less without Coker's probing runs and crosses down the left hand side, we need him back as soon as possible.

The fact is PB doesn't play to his strikers strengths, if you don't do that then you won't score many goals. If that's the case then you're not leaving yourself much margin for error, more often than not you are going to have to keep a clean sheet to give yourself a good chance to win the game.

It's no surprise to me that Barney wasn't scoring for us. He's no "Freddy" - he doesn't create his own chances and he never did during his first spell when he was "1 in 2" for us. We need to create more and therefore the likes of Worrall and Payne will be important players for us this season. Bottom line is Brown needs to play to his strikers strengths.

Don't understand this lack of confidence issue with Barney. Frustrated at lack of game time but low in confidence I'm not sure. In the couple of games he did play leading up to his loan he actually played well and yes the lack of goals is an issue, but his all round play was decent. As others have said, play him the right position, supply the service and he will score. For those that have said he has only scored from inside the 6 yard box, you have to be in there to score them, unforunately for us he probably holds the trophy for miss of the season and from inside six yards, yet has gone to a club and scored 3 times from similar range. My guess the issue with Barney is between him and PB rather than anything to do with confidence. He should return, he is our player and currently scoring for a rival team. Last game next week I believe.

Barnard has to play in a pairing as he is not a lone forward and never will be the target man type of striker,Under Brown even Ronaldo would struggle to find the net.

Completely agree. We're re-writing history here to suit our own outlook. Also, he wan't sent out on loan to get match fit - he was sent because Brown couldn't get him scoring (like all our other forwards). Even a clown like Westley seems to have managed it.

But to be fair to Brown, there's a method to his madness. When we have a bad day, we don't concede a hatful because we're set up to be solid. When Stevenage have a bad day, they'll leak a few. One Nil to the Southend is the way Brown likes it.

Barnard missed an open goal from 3 yards for us yet scores 3 goals for Stevenage.
I hardly think that is Browns fault.

The problem is the supply line. Yes we have a lot of possession but how many real clear-cut chances are we actually creating? Not many. We look better with Worrall in the team, he's outshone Hurst recently who has had a poor season so far by his standards. Another key point to make is that we also seem to be creating less without Coker's probing runs and crosses down the left hand side, we need him back as soon as possible.

The fact is PB doesn't play to his strikers strengths, if you don't do that then you won't score many goals. If that's the case then you're not leaving yourself much margin for error, more often than not you are going to have to keep a clean sheet to give yourself a good chance to win the game.

It's no surprise to me that Barney wasn't scoring for us. He's no "Freddy" - he doesn't create his own chances and he never did during his first spell when he was "1 in 2" for us. We need to create more and therefore the likes of Worrall and Payne will be important players for us this season. Bottom line is Brown needs to play to his strikers strengths.

22 shots yesterday, 12 on target

I wasn't at the game, how many were clear cut chances?

Have you been at any of the recent games or is your opinion/view based on what you have read on here?

There were 12 shots on target, some good chances, some shots not hard enough to beat the keeper. As has been said, Barney missed a chance from 3 yards out before he went on loan. That is the sign of a player low on confidence. All the clap trap of the wrong formation is rubbish. He has had chances, he hasn't pit them away. That is a fact and one that cannot be ignored.

He has now found some form and confidence at Stevenage. Doesn't matter why Brown sent him on loan, it's done him good.

Barnards best game for us recently was when Jack Payne was played alongside,however Jack was taken off at the start of the second half ,and then Brown dropped them !

Have you been at any of the recent games or is your opinion/view based on what you have read on here?

I didn't give an opinion mate I asked the question because there is a difference between creating actual chances and how many shots on goal a team has. As it goes I don't think we do create many clear cut chances hence our **** poor goal scoring record.

I didn't give an opinion mate I asked the question because there is a difference between creating actual chances and how many shots on goal a team has. As it goes I don't think we do create many clear cut chances hence our **** poor goal scoring record.

Fair enough. We had 12 shots on goal, so that's 12 chances. More than happy with Worrall's goal though. Direct run, with Corr and Payne taking defenders away from him with dummy runs.

Barnards best game for us recently was when Jack Payne was played alongside,however Jack was taken off at the start of the second half ,and then Brown dropped them !

Very true indeed.

I am not Barney's biggest fan and still think his best days are over BUT Brown has played him in roles which simply do not help the player whatsoever.

Under Brown Barnard had 20 odd games and never scored from open play yet the same player suddenly scores 3 for Boro in as many games.

Very true indeed.

I am not Barney's biggest fan and still think his best days are over BUT Brown has played him in roles which simply do not help the player whatsoever.

Under Brown Barnard had 20 odd games and never scored from open play yet the same player suddenly scores 3 for Boro in as many games.

The secret to Barnard is that you have to get him in the penalty area. He is the same as Hooper, they are both mostly deadly from close range, but if they play a deeper role behind defenders outside the box, they look useless. Stevenage attack in numbers, and try to get a few men in the box at the same time, this means Barnard finds more space.
We do not do that, and when Barney finally gets in the box, he has 2 defenders on him, so he doesn't even get a shot in, let alone score.

Back