• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United manager Phil Brown fears Gary Deegan could leave

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United midfielder Phil Brown fears Gary Deegan might have played his last game for the football club.

More...

Lots of reading between lines , but I read as if Clifford won't be getting a new contract.........

Don't see how you came to that conclusion

Yeah you may be right , but it was the line about "Conor is definitely with us for the next six months".
I know Clifford would be free to look elsewhere , but if PB really wanted him why the need to even mention the length of his contact ?
Why not offer him an extension if he rates him as part of his plans ?
The guy was playing relatively well but suddenly fell way down the pecking order.

Yeah you may be right , but it was the line about "Conor is definitely with us for the next six months".
I know Clifford would be free to look elsewhere , but if PB really wanted him why the need to even mention the length of his contact ?
The guy was playing relatively well but suddenly fell way down the pecking order.

Not a bad player but one big problem, and you could see it yesterday second half - lacks positional discipline. The formation we play the 'holding' mid-fielders must be defensively strong as well as capable of getting forward when the opportunity arises, and not getting caught foraging in front of the forwards leaving big spaces in mid-field, which Clifford is prone to do.

I think Clifford has a lot to offer, played in the right position, which isn't as a holding midfield player. Deegan to my mind would not be a great loss, he flatters to deceive most of the time. There are better midfield players out there and there are better midfield players at the Club already. Mind I do hope Leonard is alright for Saturday.

Clifford is more than decent for this level, but not as a holding midfielder. He's a bigger asset when given more freedom without the responsibility of holding. Ironically I think he'd do well alongside Deegan, however the likes of Timlin and Leonard are rightly in possession of the shirts at this time.

Deegan would be a loss as he gives us something different and must be horrible to play against, very much in the Peter Butler mould. Hope he stays.

I think a midfield three of Clifford Leonard and Timlin is pretty decent and has enough defensive steel. I'm more concerned about Bolger at the back and someone to take the burden off Core.

I think that was more of Clifford is contracted here for at least 6 months while Deegan only has days left, so why waste a bench place for someone who might be off very soon.

I would say him "falling down the pecking order" was more to do with Timlin and Atkinson recovering from injuries.

He's helped us through an injury crisis and I wish him well wherever he ends up next. I'll bet it's someone who he has played against for us.

Quality player and I feel we will miss him if he leaves. Macca/Maher type player and every successful team needs ones.

I think that was more of Clifford is contracted here for at least 6 months while Deegan only has days left, so why waste a bench place for someone who might be off very soon.

I would say him "falling down the pecking order" was more to do with Timlin and Atkinson recovering from injuries.

Yeah I think you're probably right.
The only thing that doesn't add up for me is that he was getting fairly decent reviews , so would have expected Timlin and Atkinson to have waited their turn a little longer.
Brown doesn't seem to rate him that highly for whatever reason that may be.

Quality player and I feel we will miss him if he leaves. Macca/Maher type player and every successful team needs ones.

Exactly, the sort of player that every team needs to do the nitty gritty stuff. Not every player in a mid field role has to be full of silky skills, all good teams have had an 'enforcer'.

Let Deegan go and by March people will be on here bemoaning the fact that our midfield is a bit lightweight and getting bullied off the ball..... and why did we let Deegan go.....

Let Deegan go and by March people will be on here bemoaning the fact that our midfield is a bit lightweight and getting bullied off the ball..... and why did we let Deegan go.....

Midfield has been least of our problems for the last couple of years. Any of Timlin, Leonard and Clifford can - and do - fill the role Deegan played. His was an important signing as a stop gap while Timlin was out. Tims is now back and therefore Deegan is surplus to requirements. To be honest, I don't think he'd been as good in the latter part of his spell as he was in the beginning.

Midfield has been least of our problems for the last couple of years. Any of Timlin, Leonard and Clifford can - and do - fill the role Deegan played. His was an important signing as a stop gap while Timlin was out. Tims is now back and therefore Deegan is surplus to requirements. To be honest, I don't think he'd been as good in the latter part of his spell as he was in the beginning.

Fully agree.
Really loved his performance quite early on ( think it was beating a really good Shrewsbury side ) , but been less convincing g since IMO , although I don't go to away games so I could be wrong .

Back