• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United manager Phil Brown: Jack Payne is my little magician

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown labelled Jack Payne a ‘magician’ after the youngster’s tricks secured the Shrimpers a 2-1 win at Tranmere Rovers.

More...

Jack is IMO an excellent player who will go onto bigger things.Top scorer with 5 and makes us tick.

Well done Jack.

The joker didn't want to know him until fan and probably Ron pressure!

He will play more when he shows he can be consistent. As said numerous times, he had a couple of great games to start with then too many games where he was anonymous, but he is still only just starting out and we are crying out for someone who can add that spark so hopefully he can put in a few more performances like Saturday.

Why blame Brown? I blame Sturrock, we would have won promotion in 2011/12 if he had played Payne all the time. He is good now so using SZ logic he would have been good and ready then right?

Why blame Brown? I blame Sturrock, we would have won promotion in 2011/12 if he had played Payne all the time. He is good now so using SZ logic he would have been good and ready then right?

During last seasons sticky period I was on here constantly stating Phil had to change it and put in Payne and Williams!

If only he had tried Jack we could easily be in league 1 now.

He will play more when he shows he can be consistent. As said numerous times, he had a couple of great games to start with then too many games where he was anonymous, but he is still only just starting out and we are crying out for someone who can add that spark so hopefully he can put in a few more performances like Saturday.

Knew you'd pop up......even when he was only a 6/10 for probably 2 games he was as good as the rest. Fact is Phil hates a footballer and must be gutted that Deegan the crab has turned down his offer of a cuppa tea and a ham roll!

Knew you'd pop up......even when he was only a 6/10 for probably 2 games he was as good as the rest. Fact is Phil hates a footballer and must be gutted that Deegan the crab has turned down his offer of a cuppa tea and a ham roll!

Well said Wigster,

By far our best player and scores goals so should be first name on the team sheet.

How comes in all the pre-game threads the majority of fans werent selecting him in their teams then ?

He has lots of potential, but he needs to deliver it consistently and not disappear in games, which has done plenty.

During last seasons sticky period I was on here constantly stating Phil had to change it and put in Payne and Williams!

If only he had tried Jack we could easily be in league 1 now.

How do you work that out ?

He has had no effect in at least half the games he has played this season, how would he have won us promotion last season with that sort of form, when he may well not even have been as ready for it as he is now ?

#

How do you work that out ?

He has had no effect in at least half the games he has played this season, how would he have won us promotion last season with that sort of form, when he may well not even have been as ready for it as he is now ?

He scores goals and creates chances which we sadly lacked during the barren spell,Good managers try anything to stop the rot.Phil could have brought him on for the latter stages of games last season but never did instead choosing to leave him on the bench.

He scores goals and creates chances which we sadly lacked during the barren spell,Good managers try anything to stop the rot.Phil could have brought him on for the latter stages of games last season but never did instead choosing to leave him on the bench.

In half the games he has played he hasnt created any chances or scored any goals.

Why would he have done so consistently last year when he isnt doing so yet?

Your capacity to spout rubbish increases by the day !
Just my opinion.
Not fact.

He APPEARED inconsistent of his own accord. Reason was he was instructed to play cautiously making it LOOK LIKE he was at fault regarding inconsistency

He APPEARED inconsistent of his own accord. Reason was he was instructed to play cautiously making it LOOK LIKE he was at fault regarding inconsistency

Oddest conspiracy ever... Perhaps, as a 19 year old just starting out in the professional game in the depths of League 2 he may have just been inconsistent or well managed by the opposition during the games he's played. Jam_man is quite correct to point out that he hasn't had an effect on every game he's played but that's not me saying he shouldn't play more. He'll get better with experience but we shouldn't expect too much from him yet. H'es a decent player already and he's definitely a good prospect but he is not the messiah.

Nonsense. Thats just inventing excuses for him having quiet games.

For example, in the game when he played just off of Barnard in the hole, how exactly was he instructed to play cautiously, when he was consistently getting in and around the box?

It was blatantly obvious he was given an advanced attacking role with little need to track back and was constantly 10 yards or more ahead of the other central midfielders, and often up with Barnard.

Barnard managed to have a good game that match (ignoring the miss of the season), Payne just didnt get in the game, it was nothing to do with how he was instructed to play.

As Shrimpled says above, he is a young player and he can't be expected to put in fantastic performances every week, that will hopefully improve with time, but lets not blame Brown for games when he has a quiet game (and lets not hang Payne out to dry either).

He's not the finished article and to accommodate him we have to play one up front. I'm not saying that is a bad thing and I'm excited by the prospect of Payne without getting to carried away. He deserved to be dropped and he's reacted in the right way. A few on here seem to want 2 up front, Payne in the team and half the youngsters. Trading what they see as a defensive team for an all out attacking one would have us in a far worse position than we are now. Jack has been brought through the right way imo , some on here will never give Phil any credit though. I wasn't a sturrock fan but at least I gave him credit where it was due

I can imagine the conversation.

[video=youtube;ClzOyAe_O58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClzOyAe_O58[/video]

I'm guessing Ron wanted him to do the same just in case we got any big offers for him!

Back