• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

USA bad cops.

That's why I said it was my opinion.

However, I do remember something that happened at my school not long after Hungerford. It was September and I was in the 6th form. Two people in the year decided to pop to McDonalds for lunch, and because it was a hot day they spent the drive back to school firing a water gun at people on the pavement.

Someone must have called the police because not long after they arrived back at school the police arrived in an armoured vehicle and used a loud hailer to tell the two to come out of the building.

Funnily enough the police didn't shoot even though they couldn't see the gun.

(IIRC the two boys were expelled, which I still think was over the top.)

We don't have a "gun culture" like the US - millions have legal access to firearms and there has been many tragedies involving children finding firearms at home and going out onto the streets and using them. We do not have that here. You can not compare the two.

We don't have a "gun culture" like the US - millions have legal access to firearms and there has been many tragedies involving children finding firearms at home and going out onto the streets and using them. We do not have that here. You can not compare the two.

I think you're missing the point. My point is that because of the gun laws in the US things like this are more likely to happen. I'm comparing to us specifically because we don't have the same gun laws, which IMO is the reason we don't have the same tragedies.

Seeing all these black majority riots reminds me of when all those whites rioted when OJ was acquitted. Oh hang on.

I live in America, and unlike 'black leaders', my living doesn't depend on stoking the fire and exploiting the situation. So I know better than you, and I think your argument is bollocks on stilts. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson don't give a damn about average black people, or they might address the issue of black on black crime, but there's no money or airtime in that.

Do you really think that this is about 'money and airtime'? Is there not a race relations problem in the U.S. that those on the receiving end of are going to feel sore about? I actually don't think that you're that ignorant.

The kid in the playground getting shot made me think about the time that I took my Man from Uncle briefcase to school. It had a gun, of course, but I'm sure that they were more concerned about my code-breaking and surveillance devices. My mum wasn't aware that I'd taken it in (I was a secret agent, after all) but she may have been more vigilant if we'd lived in the States. Their gun laws are plain dumb and they result in trigger-happy officials who know they'll walk free whatever happens. Plenty of youtube videos showing white cops murdering people, and they're usually black.

I think you're missing the point. My point is that because of the gun laws in the US things like this are more likely to happen. I'm comparing to us specifically because we don't have the same gun laws, which IMO is the reason we don't have the same tragedies.

I made the point earlier that police officers go out with guns knowing they can be shot by armed people, or that if an unarmed person takes their gun they can still be shot.

It must give them a somewhat different outlook to our policemen who generally don't have that same level of risk.

If a lone policeman here is assaulted its not going to result in him being shot, but over there it can do, so you can understand why they may feel they have no option but to shoot.

Funnily enough there is another unarmed shooting being discussed over there without the same level of attention or rioting in the streets.

Wonder why this one isnt being scrutinised

I made the point earlier that police officers go out with guns knowing they can be shot by armed people, or that if an unarmed person takes their gun they can still be shot.

It must give them a somewhat different outlook to our policemen who generally don't have that same level of risk.

If a lone policeman here is assaulted its not going to result in him being shot, but over there it can do, so you can understand why they may feel they have no option but to shoot.

Funnily enough there is another unarmed shooting being discussed over there without the same level of attention or rioting in the streets.

Wonder why this one isnt being scrutinised

The public feeling is different in a place like Ferguson because they feel they are constantly being let down by the systems that govern them and the police. There is injustice in both cases, the people of Salt lake city do not feel as let down by the system and have a lot more to lose from rioting and protests. In Ferguson they have little to lose and this incident has acted as ignition for all the bad feeling that has accumulated over the years.

The public feeling is different in a place like Ferguson because they feel they are constantly being let down by the systems that govern them and the police. There is injustice in both cases, the people of Salt lake city do not feel as let down by the system and have a lot more to lose from rioting and protests. In Ferguson they have little to lose and this incident has acted as ignition for all the bad feeling that has accumulated over the years.

Whilst I'm sure there are well meaning folk out there who think they're taking on "the man" there's a whole load more who couldn't give a **** about Michael Brown and use this as an excuse to fill up their trailer with the latest hi-tech kit.

_79273291_024882201-2.jpg

I consider myself moderately left of centre, but **** me, they don't sometimes take on a cause celebre which has absolutely no legs whatsoever.

First interview from Darren Wilson which many suggest he was coached by his lawyer and script read which in turn added fuel to the fire as now 35 cities in the USA are either protesting or worse.

Wilson's version is somewhat bizarre as he politely asked the young men to move onto the sidewalk when Brown kicked his car door then Brown lunged at Wilson raining blows onto him,Brown according to Wilson stopped to hand the stolen cigars to his friend then continued his attack on the officer .

Wilson then explained that Brown run 150 yards away only to stop and charge at him,so if Brown was so enraged to launch his attack whist Wilson sat in his car why on earth did Brown then run?

Eyewitness statements all said they saw Wilson in his car grabbing Brown when the struggle began with Brown pulling away from the officer who then chased Brown killing him with bullet after bullet.

I am still stunned in this day and age a young man can be slaughtered in broad daylight and his body left uncovered for over 4 hours and the person responsible walks away without a blemish.

Heres the first witness statement I read, says he got out of the car and Brown charged him, and when he stopped charging he stopped firing.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1370930-interview-witness-10.html

So much conflicting reports though so without knowing everything its hard to condem or justify anything...

All of what the Grand Jury had t is here if you are so inclined :

http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2014/11/us/ferguson-grand-jury-docs/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Whilst I'm sure there are well meaning folk out there who think they're taking on "the man" there's a whole load more who couldn't give a **** about Michael Brown and use this as an excuse to fill up their trailer with the latest hi-tech kit.

Definitely. If these guys had decent jobs and something to lose they wouldn't be doing this though. I'm by no means excusing it but there is a deeper problem.

Definitely. If these guys had decent jobs and something to lose they wouldn't be doing this though. I'm by no means excusing it but there is a deeper problem.

Agreed,

Take Ferguson which had a 65% black majority with most of those on low wage or no job,they have very little and don't even think of sickness because they cannot afford any insurance.

I feel the brutality of law enforcement is there to control the blacks by using fear and intimidation.

Not in my opinion. What is at fault here is the gun laws in the US. After all, how many children in this country have toy guns? I don't like it, but even my two do, and I can easily see them sneaking one to school like they have other toys we have told them not to. They're kids, things like that happen.
This kid was 12 wasn't he? I don't think there aren't many 12 year olds in this country who would still be playing with guns. At 12 he was old enough to understand the gun laws so therefore I firmly believe it was his fault.

Back