• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
I've been distinctly underwhelmed by the division so far this season. Haven't seen a decent side yet (although was very impressed with that ginger kid in midfield for Shrewsbury).

It turns out this might have just been a quirk of the fixture list as I've only seen the teams in 15th, 16th, 19th, 10th, 20th, 4th, 11th, 9th, 7th, 24th and 23rd, plus obviously the cup defeats to teams in 16th, 16th (Conference) and 14th (League One).

Of these only Shrewsbury in 4th and Bury in 7th should have been any good and therefore a disappointment, although as I look at them even Bury had lost the previous match before playing us 5-0 and have lost their last 3 matches so prehaps no surprise there.

Are there any teams that have stood out for you? Or do we have them all to come this season?

No real stand outs for me either. Thought wimbledon looked well organised at our place. But thats about it. Really tight sea of mediocrity is how I would describe league two this season. I genuinely think we are among a few teams who try and play the 'right stuff' it will be a real
battle of attrition. .....I reckon 75 points will be enough for an auto slot

I'm looking forward to seeing Wycombe in a few weeks but apart from that, can't say any team stands out for me.

I can only judge home games , but agree that it's very mediocre this season.
You could see that Shrewsbury had something about them. ( as pointed out. , Woods was very good ) which is why I think our victory was a good one against a decent side.
People bemoan our lack of decent strikers , but Wimbledon have two experienced goal scorers , yet they are languishing.
Stevenage and Hartlepool were awful , Exeter not much better and we contrived to make Oxford look good.
I watched the Wycombe / Burton game in TV and they both looked decent , so guess we will see how good or bad we are in the next few weeks.
Very even league , with probably any of the top half capable of getting into the automatics.
My tip to come good - Portsmouth.

I can only judge home games , but agree that it's very mediocre this season.
You could see that Shrewsbury had something about them. ( as pointed out. , Woods was very good ) which is why I think our victory was a good one against a decent side.
People bemoan our lack of decent strikers , but Wimbledon have two experienced goal scorers , yet they are languishing.
Stevenage and Hartlepool were awful , Exeter not much better and we contrived to make Oxford look good.
I watched the Wycombe / Burton game in TV and they both looked decent , so guess we will see how good or bad we are in the next few weeks.
Very even league , with probably any of the top half capable of getting into the automatics.
My tip to come good - Portsmouth.

Good shout...I was chatting to a wimbledon player the other day and ge said their recent dip in form is down to teams stopping the supply to akinfenwa...thus screwing the whole game plan, but the gaffer wont change it up.

I've been distinctly underwhelmed by the division so far this season. Haven't seen a decent side yet (although was very impressed with that ginger kid in midfield for Shrewsbury).

It turns out this might have just been a quirk of the fixture list as I've only seen the teams in 15th, 16th, 19th, 10th, 20th, 4th, 11th, 9th, 7th, 24th and 23rd, plus obviously the cup defeats to teams in 16th, 16th (Conference) and 14th (League One).

Of these only Shrewsbury in 4th and Bury in 7th should have been any good and therefore a disappointment, although as I look at them even Bury had lost the previous match before playing us 5-0 and have lost their last 3 matches so prehaps no surprise there.

Are there any teams that have stood out for you? Or do we have them all to come this season?

Ryan Woods - absolute class, he was the best player on the pitch that day. Like a little League Two Scholes. Can quite honestly say that I haven't seen another opposition player this season who's impressed me quite as much as he did.

I know it's a bit of an unlikely one, but I actually really like the look of the Dagenham and Redbridge squad this season. They've got loads of very good young players and once they click and have Zavon Hines and Rhys Murphy back I can see them being quite a force to reckon with.

Echo what others have said though, think the autos and play offs will be heavily disputed by quite a few teams. Can see it all getting quite tight towards the top come the end of the season.

I thought Luton played well at there place and the little striker they had up top looked descent, but that said we didnt turn up.

I also thought wimbledon looked strong and tubbs and akinfenwa are decent at this level, but dont think they have enough quality in the rest of the team.

Bury looked poor and were dissapointing.

Nobody has looked better than us and im sure that anyone who can gain momentum will have an edge and 4th win in a row will help us put space between us and the chasing pack while giving us the opportunity to hang on to the top 3

Shrewsbury the only team I thought were good and they didnt cause us too many problems, may well be different away though.

The only team who have stood out so far are Luton (who I didnt see), they are the only team we seem to have been outclassed by. Despite our poor results at times games were all very tight in the main, but that one was lost at half time.

Shrewsbury were and are a good side. They are the only team that have impressed me this season, it's a poorer league than last year. I wasn't at Luton so can't comment on them.

I thought Chester came with the right attitude and deserved the win with their centre forward showing how it should be done. Won headers, held the ball up, turned defenders and controlled the ball well. looked good enough for a chance in the fourth division.

Luton were solid, well organised and hungry - which takes you a long way at this level. A bit like us on a good day. I actually thought Tranmere's number 4 on Saturday looked like a decent player, but maybe he was shining in an otherwise mediocre side. Max Power is a great name too.

Not been impressed with nobody thus far from games I have seen,Thought Stevenage second half were ok but that was because we dropped far too deep.

I thought Chester came with the right attitude and deserved the win with their centre forward showing how it should be done. Won headers, held the ball up, turned defenders and controlled the ball well. looked good enough for a chance in the fourth division.

I agree, but they are 16th in the Conference!

Any thoughts from those who went down to Home Park earlier this season? I reckon Plymouth, like us, are a club that should have been well placed to mount a title challenge this season.

Said the same. There boy up top looked like a really useful forward and they are the kind of players we should look to sign.

Micky Mellon and John Still know the lower leagues well so would expect Shrews and Luton to do well. Burton have much the same squad as last season and will be up there. Wycombe have a good squad a good mix of youth and experience ditto Plymouth. Still think Portsmouth will mount a charge at some point but possibly only with a new manager.

Luton looked very good at their place, their home form could take them up and to be fair I had to eat my words because before the game I was expecting a John Still lump it up to Benson type team and they played some nice stuff on the deck! Well surprised, fair play to them.

Burton will be there too.

Luton and Shrewsbury the pick.
No stand out team. Frustrates me as were it not for a few months of Brown incompetence we would be top of league. So many points and games chucked away through bad bad management. The boos at Chester game seem to have resonated as he has calmed down since.

yeah but lets be fair they did totally out play us that day, admittedly it was a ridiculous team selection that day from brown. First half they were all over us, hardly got out of our half.

Cant wait to play them at the hall though!

Yeah, division certainly isn't as strong as last year. We're only 4 points off top should tell you that!

Back