• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That's very true and we have struggled when 1-0 up to contain a team coming at us, that said there is no guarantee that they would have scored and hopefully confidence is building with a settled side and positive results.

Not sure why we shouldnt have had to wait, it was the 69th minute, we still had over 20 minutes to go.

Its this sort of sentiment thats puzzling me at the moment. People seem unhappy even when winning and looking for reasons why that still isn't good enough or acceptable. After 3 years of Paul Sturrock,whose achievements I still respect despite the tediousness of the football where we often won a game with our only shot for me this is miles ahead in style.

We aren't playing teams off the park but we are competing and are up where we need to be for now. If we were still sitting outside the play offs Id feel far more aggrieved.

Confidence is important but overtalked. We won four in a row before and all that gave us was the confidence not to win in the next five. I believe that is because despite winning four in a row the players themselves were not confident from their performances and the last four winning games appears no different.

As for not scoring before the 69th minute, well, we were lucky to score then. Corr had turned away and was not even looking for the fumbled effort. Poor from an experienced striker. But we had opportunities long before that to score and on a better day and with a more ruthless attack we would have.

Where was Hurst?

There were actually a few signs of starting to string some moves together. Corr is building up a good relationship with Worrall, now they are finally allowed on the pitch together, playing some nice one touch stuff on the move. There was one move where we put the ball in the net but it was clearly offside - the way that move developed was encouraging. There's a long way to go before it could be described as entertaining but there are some signs there.

He can't return soon enough. He'll add a whole different angle to our game with his ability to attack from full-back.

Roots Hall is like a morgue at the moment despite us winning. So there must have therefore been a lot of people opposed to Phil Brown's appointment from the outset. There's clearly little enthusiasm for the current regime so I'm obviously not alone in thinking that, despite beating some struggling sides, the manager is not getting anywhere near the best out of the talented squad he inherited and that this team will get found out when we play some half-decent opposition again.

That said, he's finally playing a better balanced team with far more attacking options than we were subjected to earlier in the year and it's good to see the likes of Worrall and Corr being trusted to play 90 minutes.

There's little incentive to bust a gut to get into the penalty area when there are always two centre-halves waiting there to pick him up. He scored his goals when he was playing as part of a two up front and had a partner to occupy one of those centre-halves, giving him some space to work with. He's good enough to get some space working against one marker, but it's unrealistic to expect him to escape the attentions of two markers in the 6 yard box.

Jam and Yorkshire. You have both excused him from getting on the end of crosses and getting in the box. Can you please tell me who we are crossing the ball to? Payne? I think two games ago someone said Hurst put in 12 crosses. So obviously he wasn't banking on that our main aerial threat would be in there!

Confidence is important but overtalked. We won four in a row before and all that gave us was the confidence not to win in the next five. I believe that is because despite winning four in a row the players themselves were not confident from their performances and the last four winning games appears no different.

As for not scoring before the 69th minute, well, we were lucky to score then. Corr had turned away and was not even looking for the fumbled effort. Poor from an experienced striker. But we had opportunities long before that to score and on a better day and with a more ruthless attack we would have.

Yet he still got there and would have scored from it if he hadn't been pulled down.

Again, its this negativity with people looking for the worst in any given situation I found really puzzling.

There seems to be a built in self-loathing from a lot of fans at the moment.

Jam and Yorkshire. You have both excused him from getting on the end of crosses and getting in the box. Can you please tell me who we are crossing the ball to? Payne? I think two games ago someone said Hurst put in 12 crosses. So obviously he wasn't banking on that our main aerial threat would be in there!

I would have to watch the game again, I really dont remember that many dangerous crosses on Saturday to be honest.

Yet he still got there and would have scored from it if he hadn't been pulled down.

Again, its this negativity with people looking for the worst in any given situation I found really puzzling.

Subconscious Corr loving there. You are normally the first one to say things may or may not happen and cannot be assured and yet you state that Corr would have scored if not brought down. No guarantees my friend. :smile:

Subconscious Corr loving there. You are normally the first one to say things may or may not happen and cannot be assured and yet you state that Corr would have scored if not brought down. No guarantees my friend. :smile:

Death, taxes, Corr scoring and Barna Blue being wrong.

The only guaranteed things in life.

If the keeper hadnt pulled him down he had an open goal.

If you are talking about bias, you are criticising him for not reacting to something that he did react to quicker than the keeper or any defender. which got us one nil up.

Roots Hall is like a morgue at the moment despite us winning. So there must have therefore been a lot of people opposed to Phil Brown's appointment from the outset. There's clearly little enthusiasm for the current regime .

These comments though true replicate comments made during the Paul Sturrock regime.
In fact, there are a lot of parallels in fans reaction to both PS and PB.
Lots of people were opposed to PS from the outset -there was a nasty Sturrock Out campaign on the old 606 site during his first 6 months in charge. During PS best spell when we topped the league Tara Brady expressed publically his frustration at the number of letters he was getting from Southend fans complaining about the lack of entertainment. PS also commented on the dismal atmosphere at RH and the impact it was having on players.
The question is are such contrasting managers and personalities both wrong or is the problem with Southend fans?

If the keeper hadnt pulled him down he had an open goal.

You are criticising him for not reacting to something that he did react to quicker than the keeper or any defender. which got us one nil up.

I'd like to think that Corr reacted quickly because he had a 1000 people shouting at him in teh South Stand to turn round as the ball had bounced off the keeper. He had his back to the ball and keeper at the time and turned round when everyone shouted

These comments though true replicate comments made during the Paul Sturrock regime.
In fact, there are a lot of parallels in fans reaction to both PS and PB.
Lots of people were opposed to PS from the outset -there was a nasty Sturrock Out campaign on the old 606 site during his first 6 months in charge. During PS best spell when we topped the league Tara Brady expressed publically his frustration at the number of letters he was getting from Southend fans complaining about the lack of entertainment. PS himself commented on the dismal atmospehere at RH and the impact it was having on players.
The question is are such contrasting managers and personalities both wrong or is the problem with Southend fans?

Thats spot on, we had people saying at the time during the winning run that they would rather be midtable playing better football, which of course is nonsense. There were so many games under Sturrock where we would barely register a shot on target, there was no passing movement and it was without doubt one of the most tedious periods Ive watched in my time following Southend. That said it was always about getting out of the league and I said at the time I could accept it if it meant promotion, but as luck would have it even when it produced 83 points it didnt.

I would much rather be watching this team play like it does than go back to that style, its far far from perfect but its definitely a better style, whether its successfull we will see over the next 6 months.

I'd like to think that Corr reacted quickly because he had a 1000 people shouting at him in teh South Stand to turn round as the ball had bounced off the keeper. He had his back to the ball and keeper at the time and turned round when everyone shouted

Definitely did, but the defenders had that same benefit, and he still reacted first. If it was poor of him to be the first of the ball then shame on the rest of them....

Thats spot on, we had people saying at the time during the winning run that they would rather be midtable playing better football, which of course is nonsense. There were so many games under Sturrock where we would barely register a shot on target, there was no passing movement and it was without doubt one of the most tedious periods Ive watched in my time following Southend. That said it was always about getting out of the league and I said at the time I could accept it if it meant promotion, but as luck would have it even when it produced 83 points it didnt.

I would much rather be watching this team play like it does than go back to that style, its far far from perfect but its definitely a better style, whether its successfull we will see over the next 6 months.

Definitely did, but the defenders had that same benefit, and he still reacted first. If it was poor of him to be the first of the ball then shame on the rest of them....

Agree with this, couldn't have put it better myself

http://t.co/naw1QsuWkL

Pause it at 36 seconds, Corr is clearly facing towards the goalkeeper just has he is about to fumble it. The alternative is that he turns around and then turns back within about half a second.

I would have to watch the game again, I really dont remember that many dangerous crosses on Saturday to be honest.

Hurst wasn't even playing Saturday. We are also talking about Corr over the whole season. And for the third time, who are we crossing the ball too now that you have excused Barry Corr from being in the box?

Hurst wasn't even playing Saturday. We are also talking about Corr over the whole season. And for the third time, who are we crossing the ball too now that you have excused Barry Corr from being in the box?

Worrall/Weston (depends which side the cross comes from), Payne or O'Toole. All 3 of those were in the box, along with Corr, when Weston's cross came in.

Here's a question that has come to mind following the link to the highlights ..........

if Worrall's shot had not gone in, would that have been a penalty as well?

It's not important of course ........... but just wandered about people's view (and with the benefit of video recordings).

Thats the big problem with our system and has been for sometime.

Corr has himself stated that he doesnt get into those positions enough because he has to play with his back to goal.

We would be far more effective from crossing if Corr was to just aim at getting in the box for them, but with just him in there and having to win the ball all over he just isnt going to get on the end of many.

So in answer who are we crossing to? No one particulary effective at heading most of the time sadly. We still scored from a cross on Saturday though and maybe thats how we should be looking to get the ball in from wide positions.

Apart from our second goal (and I was a long way away) I don't recall one good move or one piece of genuine skill or excitement. Maybe is because the last couple of home games have been against crap opposition, but although its great to win, I can't say I actually enjoyed watching today. Hopefully we will raise our game when we play better opposition in the next two games

This is exactly why I quoted that I was happy with the result, but it doesn't mean that I actually enjoyed watching what was in front of me. I don't understand why people can't understand that, and any need for ridiculous comments on 'its league 2 what do you expect ' or ' we are not Barcelona'. Like everyone else on here I have seen plenty of League 2 matches of great quality providing 'entertainment'. In some cases we have lost and I have left the Hall upset at the result, but very happy with the performance. So at the moment I am delighted with our run of results, but at the same time I can not say that I am enjoying the football (I ask again , can any one recall many (any) particular pieces of great skill, or great moves from us, which we know we are capable of) . I am also not confident in us making the autos, and if we make the play offs (which I am confident in) I have no confidence in us winning the semi final let alone the final . That's how I feel. I feel that we will have to play better to beat Wycombe and Burton and hope that we do play better and do beat them. Regardless, like most I will be at home games even if it isn't great entertainment , and I will leave with a sore throat from positive encouragement

Last edited:
There's a difference from playing a good style and a good performance though.

The style we played now is in the main much better than when we played under Sturrock, we do try to pass it now although towards the end of the first half we did seem to run out of ideas and it did get direct for a while.

Saturday was not a great performance and for a lot of the first half it was frustrating, but at least we are trying to play the right way and results are now going our way too.

This is exactly why I quoted that I was happy with the result, but it doesn't mean that I actually enjoyed watching what was in front of me. I don't understand why people can't understand that, and any need for ridiculous comments on 'its league 2 what do you expect ' or ' we are not Barcelona'. Like everyone else on here I have seen plenty of League 2 matches of great quality providing 'entertainment'. In some cases we have lost and I have left the Hall up set at the result, but very happy with the performance. So at the moment I am delighted with our run of results, but at the same time I can not say that I am enjoying the football (I ask again , can any one recall many (any) particular pieces of great skill, or great moves from us, which we know we are capable of) . I am also not confident in us making the autos, and if we make the play offs (which I am confident in) I have no confidence in us winning the semi final let alone the final . That's how I feel. I feel that we will have to play better to beat Wycombe and Burton and hope that we do feel better and do beat them. Regardless, like most I will be at home games even if it isn't great entertainment , and I will leave with a sore throat from positive encouragement

Agree with every word,

Phil has his formula and he ain't it changing it for anyone which is his right and so everyone has their choice in attending or not .Personally I am having a mini break from the Hall for my own sanity.

Back