• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United manager Phil Brown: John-Joe O'Toole enhanced contract chances with d

At his best he is a creative midfielder who can score goals- and there we have the core debate. Have we forwards who can't score or is the issue we are lacking an attacking and creative midfielder of proven quality?
we have had enough forwards who have gone on to score relatively freely elsewhere for me to accept the possibility of the latter. I believe JJ O'Toole has the potential (note potential) to play at championship level and hence is worth the risk. My concern is that the clubs supporters are not always disposed to be patient and give the support required early doors. Have a another look at that volley on the video- not many players could do that, most at this level would have hit the corner flag or scoreboard. Give the guy a chance.

seems to me that some fans just want him to fail . I say give the guy a chance .Bolger was slated a while ago .But now he seems to have made a place in the team starting line up .Yet sokolik is the better center back . So give j j a few game to settle into a position he maybe a goal scorer we have been needed for a while .If nothing else it another squad member for the next two months .

Wrong for me to judge someone who is not match fit after one game, but to me he looked lazy. I watched him a fair bit , and every time I looked he was walking. Now I am all for keeping your shape, and he certainly filled holes in the midfield, but just walked into them all the time.

Certainly didn't look like he wanted to show his employers what they are missing, and want him back after this loan. Whether we can afford / want to afford his wages time will tell. Harsh aftet one game? The shot was good though !

In the game I watched yesterday, The JJOT I saw didn't look unfit, overweight, lazy or likely to get into any sort of trouble. He wasn't setting the game on fire, I agree, but his positioning was excellent, he made a few decent clean challenges and that volley was sublime. He is obviously lacking match fitness, and that showed in the second half, but his game doesn't entail chasing madly all over the place like the Duracell rabbit anyway, besides that is Timlin's job!, and he does that pretty well! I think he looked immediately comfortable in the side, and there didn't appear to be any problem from any of our lads that he was being played. From the outsider perspective, it is pretty obvious that Northampton have washed their hands of him, but I don't think there was a hope that he would fit in there anyway, so their loss! I still have a good feeling, with a couple of games and some confidence I think he could come good.

In the game I watched yesterday, The JJOT I saw didn't look unfit, overweight, lazy or likely to get into any sort of trouble. He wasn't setting the game on fire, I agree, but his positioning was excellent, he made a few decent clean challenges and that volley was sublime. He is obviously lacking match fitness, and that showed in the second half, but his game doesn't entail chasing madly all over the place like the Duracell rabbit anyway, besides that is Timlin's job!, and he does that pretty well! I think he looked immediately comfortable in the side, and there didn't appear to be any problem from any of our lads that he was being played. From the outsider perspective, it is pretty obvious that Northampton have washed their hands of him, but I don't think there was a hope that he would fit in there anyway, so their loss! I still have a good feeling, with a couple of games and some confidence I think he could come good.

Pretty much how i saw it, didnt look world class but kept shape well, did put some graft in at times, did not duck out of any challenges, won plenty of ariel challenges and kept the ball well. 6 out of 10 for me. Too soon to judge the man thats for sure.

well its been said on here many times ,what we lack in the midfield is a playmaker,perhaps now we have one,now all we need is a striker that can score goals from free play and not just from penalties,then perhaps we will be complete.

I want to see the O'Toole that showed such promise with Watford and who was a stand out player for Bristol Rovers.

Right, then as I have said you will have to wait a little while for that. It will be worth the wait though.

Pretty much how i saw it, didnt look world class but kept shape well, did put some graft in at times, did not duck out of any challenges, won plenty of aerial challenges and kept the ball well. 6 out of 10 for me. Too soon to judge the man thats for sure.

Same for me, was also nice to have some height in the midfield area that could use it to good effect.

Right, then as I have said you will have to wait a little while for that. It will be worth the wait though.
I hope that it is worth the wait, but other players havent been allowed this concession so why should he be?

Should not be playing if not match fit imo. I fear that he will be another Brown favorite who will be selected no matter what, whilst others languish despondantly on the bench awaiting for an opportunity that never comes along- or is taken away from them through no fault of their own.

I hope that I am proved wrong!

UTB

Not at all, I would have loved to seen him play well, my previous question stands, would you start him ahead of Leonard, Timlin or Payne next game?

Ricey is right though, he has to do even better than he would have had to because of his reputation.

There already comments on this thread saying he was lazy....

Personally I didn't see much in his performance to get excited about, that shot early on was fantastic but he was fairly quiet since then and only stood out on two occasions for me when he gave the ball away through sloppiness.

Not going to judge him on one game, but he does need to do more to justify what could be one of the biggest salaries at the club.

I think as Chapperz alluded to earlier , many balls from the back simply bypassed him so he did not get a lot of easy balls played to feet.
I thought he did ok and any midfielder who gets 13 league goals in a relegated team ( think that's right ? ) clearly has assets we should not discard easily.
The problem I fear is that his languid style will not endear himself to many of our fans.
I think his positional sense does lessen the need for him to hare around , but nevertheless in L2 , some fans equate masses of effort as the prime quality , so unless he gets up to speed very quickly , I'm not sure he will be afforded the time I think he should get before being judged by some.

I think as Chapperz alluded to earlier , many balls from the back simply bypassed him so he did not get a lot of easy balls played to feet.
I thought he did ok and any midfielder who gets 13 league goals in a relegated team ( think that's right ? ) clearly has assets we should not discard easily.
The problem I fear is that his languid style will not endear himself to many of our fans.
I think his positional sense does lessen the need for him to hare around , but nevertheless in L2 , some fans equate masses of effort as the prime quality , so unless he gets up to speed very quickly , I'm not sure he will be afforded the time I think he should get before being judged by some.

His career has shall we say been interesting,Even WIki has him down as a journeyman !

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet Mr brown, a lot of us missed the work he did off the ball along side timlin but I still didn't think he was great which was understandable, don't think he look 100% fit but will get that with more starts and game time, not sure I would keep him in the the side tho when we have deegan and Leonard available as offer more to the side, still think o toole will be better suited further forward but can he get that role with Payne doing so well in that position ?

He has only had 4 clubs and he is 26, Assombalonga is on 3 already.

Yes. And britt has worked his way up properly.the difference between a good attitude and the attitude of Otoole which has been questionable at times.

Despite playing out of his preferred position and clearly not match fit, I thought he did pretty well. His positional sense was first rate and he got into the box plenty of times. Others have alluded to the fact that he didnt need to go charging around to make an impression and this arguably brought the best out of Timlin. The jury will remain out until he has had a few more games but for me he looks to be a good acquisition and potentially offers a genuine forward threat. His inclusion did not effect the teams balance in any way.

I'm more inclined to agree with the positive thoughts expressed here about Mr O'Toole. It was a solid enough debut, and the quality of his volley in the first half was excellent. I presume we'll be seeing plenty more like that from him, as every time we had a set piece around their box, he took up position just outside the 12 yard box, looking for rebounds, knockdowns, chance to run in etc. 2 weeks now to work on fitness and gelling with the team, and I think we'll see plenty more from him. Of course, he wouldn't be need at all if we hadn't got rid of Gomis. :winking:

I think the lad will do well here and he probably perceives Phil Brown as a quality manager given his pedigree. I get the sense he will want to impress. Will he stay off the mince pies though?

7 clubs including loan spells.

6 including loans, same as Assombalonga.

Cant really count loan spells when talking about "journeymen" as they are part of a players development and not a sign of a player just moving around.

Yes. And britt has worked his way up properly.the difference between a good attitude and the attitude of Otoole which has been questionable at times.

Indeed, thats the big difference. Britt went on loans to develop and each move was a step up due to progression.

Thats where O'Toole is indeed questionable, he doesnt seem to either want to stay, or to be kept.

In this day and age with players moving around after a season or two 4 clubs isnt a huge amount., but so far of the 4 clubs he has had, he slagged one off and has been let go because of his fitness and application, which isn't a great endorsement.

Back