• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United midfielder Michael Timlin hits out at fans criticising team during 2-

I'd assumed Timlin was speaking up for Weston.
I assumed the same until I read at the bottom that The Echo was denied permission to speak to Corr.
Then again maybe he too wanted to stick up for Weston, if the abuse was aimed at him, maybe earwigging the interview.
We'll never know but either way, though I understand the reasoning behind Timln's comments, they actually annoyed me, he volunteered the information and again, I don't think he should have.... That's any footballer. Not that abuse is right, but it's part of football whether we like it or not and think that all players should just suck it up and unless it's racism, shut up.

I'm not debating whether it is right or wrong to hurl abuse and opinions at a football match but what I do know is that there are many more intimidating grounds than Roots Hall.

Michael Timlin is from South East London (talks like a rude boy) and openly supports Millwall so I am sure he has experienced worse at the New Den. Maybe he is being a little precious in this instance, he is not exactly a perfect role model himself.

I am personally a big Timlin fan and admire his desire and infectious spirit, however he regularly seen barking at his team-mates. If people want to compare a football match to a place of work then I know that I could not walk around my work shouting and given people regular rollocking's.

Also, yes we have won 4 on the bounce (albeit against lowly opponents) but I do think that the players and management need to step up and provide entertainment which in turn would lift the crowd. In turn you would like to think that most stupid comments would stop and the noise would drown out the odd rants from the stands.

Players probably will get far worse personal abuse from some of their own fans at places like Millwall but the other side of that is that will also get a lot more vociferous support from them.
One of the things that gets me down about Southend fans is that they often only seem passionate when they are having a go at their own players. If only all this energy spent on moaning and bleating could be chanelled into getting behind the team. (Little hope of that I know).:sad:

I assumed the same until I read at the bottom that The Echo was denied permission to speak to Corr.
Then again maybe he too wanted to stick up for Weston, if the abuse was aimed at him, maybe earwigging the interview.
We'll never know but either way, though I understand the reasoning behind Timln's comments, they actually annoyed me, he volunteered the information and again, I don't think he should have.... That's any footballer. Not that abuse is right, but it's part of football whether we like it or not and think that all players should just suck it up and unless it's racism, shut up.

Perhaps Timlin wants us to win.And perhaps knowing the impact of absuse on individual players better than any of us thinks the abuse will impact a players performance. Therefore he made the comment .

We can argue all day on whether a player should 'man up', '**other teams are worse' , ' I paid my money and will say what I like' etc but if the abuse negatively impacts players then surely anyone who wants us to win can see it's a bad thing.Surely it's this black and white?

In fact, we shouldn't be jeering at our players at all, it's what the away side wanted us to do it, it's make them think their game plan & tactics is working well.

I think it says a great deal about a player's character and strength of mind. There are those who don't care, ignore and even have a pop back (Dennis Wise) who actually gain respect. It can spur a player on. These are the players who make it to the top. You can visibly see the impact it has on a weak character, their heads drop, they're afraid to have the ball and they fade away. They become an easy target. We don't watch a sport where everything is nice, when you make a mistake in professional football, you should expect a rollicking. (expect not deserve) . What we don't know is what was actually said though do we.... If it was, "What a **** ball, **** off you useless ****!" Then yes MAN UP, so what, that's football, followed by passionate people where the result of that match can determine their week ahead. and yes they ARE still fans or supporters, whatever the literal definition is. However if it's "I hope you die of this, your family dies of that etc" and it's in a ground where it's heard up close like RH then that's obviously much different and the player should point that person out to a cop or steward, not tell the world, alienating the very people who in truth yes are very fickle so in turn will give all the adulation when success comes, the very people who contribute to their wages.

Oh for the record I don't actually believe in caning my own team, never have - only the opposition and the ref!

I just accept it's part and parcel of the game and that players shouldn't cry about it....
I love the banter and love a good nutter - football would be so much worse without.
Characters make for a good day out.

*punches the screen and slags off the team as West Ham go 1-0 down at West Brom* :angry:

We have Burton on Friday 19th at RH, I want to see better atmosphere & lots of jeering at Burton team & scream at the Ref & Lineman if our players fall into the penalty box. This is a huge match for us, it's will tell us what direction we are going .... I hope it's upward!!

Since the Echo was denied permission to speak to BBBC at the end of the game, it's reasonable to assume that he was the player Timlin was defending from crowd abuse.

"The Echo was denied permission to talk to Barry Corr at the end of the game".

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/11636688.Southend_United_midfielder_Michael_Timlin_hits_out_at_fans_criticising_team_during_2_0_win_against_Northampton_Town/

I didn't read too much in to that, the Echo has printed comments about being denied permission to talk to players a few times recently. I assumed it was Weston he was defending, he was certainly the player getting the most stick from fans near me (South Upper).

On the subject of vocally criticising players, I actually think it's ok on occasion as long as it doesn't cross the line and become persistant or personal. I think it varies from player to player how it affects them, for some it may even be a motivating factor - I once had a loud rant at Maher as he was coming to take a corner (along the lines of how every corner he'd taken hadn't beaten the first man - only with more colourful language), he turned round and gesticulated back (fair enough) then promptly whipped in a beauty for Eastwood to head home! Of course for other players it may have had the opposite effect and it's not something I'd do these days, but I do feel some players have become too sensitive, if they want the praise when things go well they should expect to take a bit of stick when they don't.

BTW I wonder how todays players would react to the sort of abuse players used to get when I started going in the 90's, anyone remember the Gary Poole song openly ridiculing his efforts? Things have definitely improved since then!

Last edited:
Honest question....for those happy to abuse our players...would you have a problem with said player coming back at you with similar language...I.e. your a ###t supporter.

Honest question....for those happy to abuse our players...would you have a problem with said player coming back at you with similar language...I.e. your a ###t supporter.

Most people would go running to the nearest steward and demand that the police be called !

If you are prepared to call someone a **** the be prepared to be called a ****. Preferably don't call people a ****. Especially loud and in public. Its offensive.

If someone is saying 'oh for gods sake you are plying rubbish,' then I have no problem with that (if indeed the said player is having a mare), that is the fans opinion and he is entitled to vent it if he so please. Criticism is one thing. Personal and foul mouthed abuse is another.

Any player that cannot accept and does not expect some criticism is a mug.

If you are prepared to call someone a **** the be prepared to be called a ****. Preferably don't call people a ****. Especially loud and in public. Its offensive.

If someone is saying 'oh for gods sake you are plying rubbish,' then I have no problem with that (if indeed the said player is having a mare), that is the fans opinion and he is entitled to vent it if he so please. Criticism is one thing. Personal and foul mouthed abuse is another.

Any player that cannot accept and does not expect some criticism is a mug.

Of course a level of criticism is expected no doubt about it....I just dont like the full on outright abuse of our own players....open season on the opposition though...racism apart anything goes...roots hall should be a horrible place for opposing teams...not our own players.

Of course a level of criticism is expected no doubt about it....I just dont like the full on outright abuse of our own players....open season on the opposition though...racism apart anything goes...roots hall should be a horrible place for opposing teams...not our own players.

I don't know the exact details of this latest fracas but I do know that for some seasons now, including under Sturrock, as soon as poor play happens at home, the excuse about fans causing a problem is trotted out. the poor lambs can go two footed into a challenge, then square up to each other, but feel severely bullied by having their inadequate performance pointed out (on the pitch - not the marital bedroom - but then I wonder if they score more there - or perhaps failure there is the bedrock of their inability to rise to the occasion on the pitch - I ramble.)

As I stated before, if the abuse is foul and personal then report it. If it's deserved criticism then do something to warrant praise.

I don't think he's talking about fans groaning and getting a bit annoyed with playing poorly, I think he's referring to certain individuals who spend all game hurling abuse at any player who wanders into their line of vision. We've all heard them. If you look up the definition of 'fan' or 'supporter', these people are neither. Makes you wonder why they pay their money as they do absolutely nothing for the team.

Exactly! Before I moved to Cornwall I was a season cardholder in East Red. There were several so called supporters who did little else other than abuse our own players, regardless of how well we played. If I'd had my way they'd have been booted out.

Can you imagine how destructive it would be if you were constantly being told how cr*p you are at your job? What use are such bully boy types of 'support'? No use, stay at home.

There was someone in he west dishing it out to corr last Saturday. Basically telling him what a useless c- unit he was.

Really wasn't helpful at all.

Back