• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Well if he goes, I'd like him loaned back until the end of the season. If Smith ends up in goal, it will undo all the good work of the last month to keep us in the play offs. We can wave goodbye to promotion then

Didn't take you long to get on the anti Smith bandwagon again :nope:

I do hope he stays until the Summer but I wouldnt be devastated if he left.

Dont get me wrong he is a solid keeper and going places but I cant remember coming away too many times thinking he kept us in the game.

Then again he hasnt cost us any either...

There's a load of decent goalkeepers out there who can't get a game - only 20 places in the prem and 24 in the championship. If you were Darlow, would you want to go to Newcastle (he'll never play) and if you were Forest, would you look at Bentley or someone like Jack Butland?

Keepers aren't worth much unless you're at the very highest level of the game. If I were SUFC and a decent offer came in for Bentley I'd be tempted to take it as I don't think there will be too many of them. I suspect the QPRs of this world will be thinking of £100k plus another £500k if he ever plays a game for them etc. I certainly wouldn't worry about our own fortunes. Both the Smiths will do fine.

If someone will give us £100k for Leonard, I think that's good money too in the modern game.

One thing's for sure when Bentley is sold we will need to secure a decent sell-on.

That's almost a certainty to be added to the contract. It's something that Southend will try to do with any big money sale of a player whilst Ron Martin is in charge. It's something he's good at, and something he believes in, luckily for us.

That's almost a certainty to be added to the contract. It's something that Southend will try to do with any big money sale of a player whilst Ron Martin is in charge. It's something he's good at, and something he believes in, luckily for us.

Yep you're right, it certainly seems to be his trademark. Sure we're in safe hands on that front.

News from a WHU fan and normally good source is that they are after Petr Cech in January, so fingers crossed.

News from a WHU fan and normally good source is that they are after Petr Cech in January, so fingers crossed.

Different objectives though, if they got Cech it would be for the first team, they would never sign Bentley to play in the Premier league but for the future.

Different objectives though, if they got Cech it would be for the first team, they would never sign Bentley to play in the Premier league but for the future.

Was referring to the possibility of him being loaned straight back if he went there, as opposed to one of the other clubs mentioned who may not.

QPR? No chance; trust me. Harry stood by Rob Green and he signed a new two-year deal in the summer. Alex McCarthy was a rumoured £6m signing in the summer, and third choice Brian Murphy is decent enough and willing to take his place in the pecking order.
Rangers desperately need ANYONE but a keeper in January.
Summer perhaps, if they are relegated and need to lighten a payroll that would cripple them in the second tier.

QPR? No chance; trust me. Harry stood by Rob Green and he signed a new two-year deal in the summer. Alex McCarthy was a rumoured £6m signing in the summer, and third choice Brian Murphy is decent enough and willing to take his place in the pecking order.
Rangers desperately need ANYONE but a keeper in January.
Summer perhaps, if they are relegated and need to lighten a payroll that would cripple them in the second tier.

That might yet be the fifth tier if they don't pay the fair financial play fine

Bentley is one of the best keepers we have ever had and is as good as Hart at Millionaires City. Why would he want to stay at Southend on low pay? He is a young lad destined to make a lot of money and if he has any sense he will move as soon as possible.
He may have to warm a bench but worth it for a financial future. Footballers have a short number of years to make themselves financially secure. I know what I would do and if he has an agent, there is no doubt that the advice will be to move.
Loyalty from footballers is a long forgotten thing and probably rightly so. In the old days players gained financially from loyalty but no longer.
Good luck to him, we have ample cover and it is clear Brown is smoothing his way. Ron must be rubbing his hands in glee :smile:

that really is oversimplifying the situation. It may be better for Bentley progression to be playing rather than sitting on the bench. Long term this could also be better for his wallet as well . There isn't a right/wrong answer here as it will be different depending on what is important for the player and how they are as a person. This should not be confused with loyalty, Bentley may believe that he is better of staying here until the 'right' offer comes along, even if that means saying no to a big pay rise now. Also remember that he is a keeper and therefore his career will potentially be longer than an outfield player

Personally think the championship is where we are at with Bentley.

That doesn't necessarily mean penny's. Forest paid 8million for assombalonga.

Apparently Millwall have bid well into 6 figures for DB but the club is holding out for a seven figure sum...i guess RM is hoping for a bidding war in January

Back