• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why do all of you want this stadium so bad? won't you miss good old roots hall? i will! I've been going roots hall all my life and would hate to see it go. and also we will probably do a darlington! the stadium will cater for 22 thousand people, we can't even sell out Roots hall! and for people like me who get the train to games have no hope as Fossetts farm is in the middle of bloody nowhere. so yeah I'm against having a new stadium and would rather stay at roots hall and spend the money on players so we can climb the divisions.

RH is falling down, we won't do a Darlington because the demographics of the area are completely different. Staying at the Hall - sadly - will mean this club will, one day, die or at best drop into non-league. A new stadium will be the only way of hoping to compete in the modern football world. But yes, I will miss it.

Divide that into a dozen 5/6/7 a side pitches at 70 pound per hour.....7 nights a week.....business plan done....

Not quite. At least one pitch has to be for the sole and exclusive use of the club if we're to qualify for EPPP Category 2. Nothing stopping us constructing two pitches and leasing one of them out though.

I know what your saying but at the end of the day were still in league 2, if we were high flying in league 1 or even just got in the championship i can understand going ahead with a new ground, but like i said Darlington bought a massive ground while in league nowhere filled out and now look at them, they in the west counties 3rd division or something like and have to groudshare with a stadium that has 1 terrace! Anyway its not just finances its history! Roots hall have been our home for years and all the memories with had their, i just love Roots hall.

You dont build a stadium for where you are but where you want to be.

Its not that long ago we were selling out 10,000 tickets, and we have sold around that for league two games with deals.

You build a stadium to realise your potential, 22,000 has always been very ambitious though.

As for Darlington, didnt work out for them, but what about Reading/Wigan/Swansea/Brighton. Plenty of success stories.

History and nostalgia you cant replace sadly, but neither can they sustain a football club.

You dont build a stadium for where you are but where you want to be.

Its not that long ago we were selling out 10,000 tickets, and we have sold around that for league two games with deals.

You build a stadium to realise your potential, 22,000 has always been very ambitious though.

As for Darlington, didnt work out for them, but what about Reading/Wigan/Swansea/Brighton. Plenty of success stories.

History and nostalgia you cant replace sadly, but neither can they sustain a football club.

Exactly right.

It was around 25 years ago, i had moved out of the area but returned to Basildon whilst working as a sales rep. In the area close to Festival hall there was a sign that said " proposed site for Southend Uniteds new stadium". Shortly after the sign was removed. I wish that i could be more precise about the date.

All I know is that I had hair back in those days.

I was early to mid twenty's I think and I am now 48.
Someone showed me an old photo of a group of us standing under a goalpost somewhere with a couple of bedsheets sewn together with ' NO TO BASILDON' in big black letters on it.

Was anyone else on here in that picture ?

Just read the Echo.

In short BOTH domes have been purchased for around £500k. It will cost in total around £2m to construct and is due to be transported to Southend in next 48hrs. Ron wouldn't say where its going, but the Echo believes it will be constructed at B&L.

It will be used by the Academy and also open to hire for local kids/adults.

Ron will apply for Cat 2 status at the end of the season.

Perhaps the Soccerdome is our new stadium. Its got four sides and the overheads will be so low it needs only a small crowd to make it pay. I think they will ban onions though because the smell will linger. RM will not get his bouffant wet or windblown during matches. :smile:

Cannot be our ground as it has FOUR sides :blush:

Just read the Echo.

In short BOTH domes have been purchased for around £500k. It will cost in total around £2m to construct and is due to be transported to Southend in next 48hrs. Ron wouldn't say where its going, but the Echo believes it will be constructed at B&L.

It will be used by the Academy and also open to hire for local kids/adults.

Ron will apply for Cat 2 status at the end of the season.

Thats the only negative for me, if its being put there suggests there is no plan for any construction any time soon. We wouldnt be spending that amount putting it up if we were going to have to move it in a year or two surely.
Cannot be our ground as it has FOUR sides :blush:

Technically a dome has one side :smile:

Thats the only negative for me, if its being put there suggests there is no plan for any construction any time soon. We wouldnt be spending that amount putting it up if we were going to have to move it in a year or two surely.

Tehcnically a dome has one side :smile:

Smart Arse (Technically actually not Tehcnically big raspberry to you with love :tease:)

Ok, but to enlighten those of us who don't follow every twist and turn in this, how does a football club which seemingly does not have the proverbial pot available suddenly find 2 million to fund a training facility ?

Ok, but to enlighten those of us who don't follow every twist and turn in this, how does a football club which seemingly does not have the proverbial pot available suddenly find 2 million to fund a training facility ?

The LIdl purchase of prospects college along with Sainsbury's review of their joint ventures into building superstores leads you to conclude there is news we are not privy to and Ron found his war chest delivered by an unknown source. All will become clear soon I am sure but enjoy the moment.

A fair amount could have been received by grants and other funding.

If we're trying to improve our youth team then surely that bodes well for the long term future of the club?

Where has the money come from?Slant_drilling.jpg

One would think that Ron has purchased these structures with one eye firmly on capturing part (or most) of the recreational 5-a-side market in the area (which as others have mentioned won't go down well with the Southend L&T Centre and Play Football), but everybody seems to be forgetting the fact that we would have required planning permission for structures of this size - has anybody recently undertaken a portal search for this scheme?
Where is the public consultation (how will the residents along Eastern Avenue feel about having to look at roof pitches which top out higher than Waitrose next door..)? Where is the travel plan for the immediate quadrupling of traffic in and out of Boots & Laces due to the proposed leisure use (if this is part of the business case)?

Another thing to think about - those structures together will take up most, if not all of the outdoor pitches at B&L - where will the youth teams be playing their matches, unless there is going to be provision elsewhere on the FF site?

Incidentally, those talking about funding are barking up the wrong tree - a couple of pots would be available, but most of this would have had to be privately funded (unless, of course, Ron has done some sort of deal for services rendered to the developer who is taking on the London Soccerdome site...).

Great news story but plenty of questions there for the sceptics and cynics amongst us...

One would think that Ron has purchased these structures with one eye firmly on capturing part (or most) of the recreational 5-a-side market in the area (which as others have mentioned won't go down well with the Southend L&T Centre and Play Football), but everybody seems to be forgetting the fact that we would have required planning permission for structures of this size - has anybody recently undertaken a portal search for this scheme?
Where is the public consultation (how will the residents along Eastern Avenue feel about having to look at roof pitches which top out higher than Waitrose next door..)? Where is the travel plan for the immediate quadrupling of traffic in and out of Boots & Laces due to the proposed leisure use (if this is part of the business case)?

Another thing to think about - those structures together will take up most, if not all of the outdoor pitches at B&L - where will the youth teams be playing their matches, unless there is going to be provision elsewhere on the FF site?

Incidentally, those talking about funding are barking up the wrong tree - a couple of pots would be available, but most of this would have had to be privately funded (unless, of course, Ron has done some sort of deal for services rendered to the developer who is taking on the London Soccerdome site...).

Great news story but plenty of questions there for the sceptics and cynics amongst us...

Actually, I think these may be classed as temproy structures, and not subject to the usual planning. I could be wrong - but if did fall under the banner of tempory - then could explain it!

Back