• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So looking at the comments, the vast majority of people that are not "doom and gloom" actually went to the game and the other sofa fans are "the world end is nigh". Says a lot I think.

Stay on the sofa with your arsenal shirt on. You are not needed home or away. embarrasing.

I was listening to the game on the sofa to BBC Essex because I am skint at this moment due to circumstances. If you look at my comments on this thread you will see they are not doom and gloom. I have done my bit home and away through thick and thin. I have done long trips away with only about 50 other die hard fans when there were no play-offs, and we had no chance of promotion or relegation. My comments on here are to give Phil Brown more time and hopefully he will be able to strengthen the team in January(Ron Martin must have more of the mystery windfall money left, he wouldn't blow the whole lot on a dome, surely), and also to get behind the team.

I was listening to the game on the sofa to BBC Essex because I am skint at this moment due to circumstances. If you look at my comments on this thread you will see they are not doom and gloom. I have done my bit home and away through thick and thin. I have done long trips away with only about 50 other die hard fans when there were no play-offs, and we had no chance of promotion or relegation. My comments on here are to give Phil Brown more time and hopefully he will be able to strengthen the team in January(Ron Martin must have more of the mystery windfall money left, he wouldn't blow the whole lot on a dome, surely), and also to get behind the team.

Don't feel like you need to justify your views to me SNB, it's only those that don't go and then moan off about how bad we are. You seem fairly reasonable in comparison to some on here.

Having been to the game and had time to think about it, I believe we were well beaten. Despite winning 4 games on the trot I don't feel the Southend players played with any confidence or belief. There was no real pattern to our play - it was all rather aimless. Apart from when Payne had the ball running at their back four, I cannot say we ever really looked dangerous apart from the goal we scored.

Wycombe looked more confident, more composed on the ball and had players who looked a real threat. We conceded 4, they hit the bar and Bentley made a couple of good saves. They had other shots that only went narrowly wide so, in reality, it could have been worse. We didn't deserve it to be worse but, let's face it, it could have been.

I can't comment on the sending off as I was too far away BUT my first instinct after the challenge was "he's off". It looked reckless. It may have been harsh but he gave the (poor) referee the opportunity to send him off.

All in all, a very disappointing day but, after 45 years of watching the Blues, I have had plenty of them!! I look forward to Friday in hope rather than expectation. Such is the life of a Southend fan.

First of all I went yesterday...
When I got off the coach yesterday I guy said to me, am I the only one who thought we didn't play that bad?
I said no, we were very much even 11 vs 11. He said yes, they were just more clinical!

I don't know how many people have picked up on that chance corr had at 2-1, through on goal and kneed it wide! Was shocking from a striker! Hayes or McClure would of buried that! We will never progress with corr as our vocal point striker.
I don't think we can just rest on one season where he scored 20 goals and think he is indispensable, all the things he used to do well he just simply just doesn't/can't do any more, regardless of style of play. It really does leave me bewildered at how many excuses are made for him, anyone else and fans would tear him apart, and I appreciate he works hard but so would I! I could easily run around for 90 mins, get beat in the air, be offside, never get in the box... And score penalties

One striker away from a top three finish in my opinion.

Thanks as ever for your considered response. I know you don't ever respect my opinion, I'm a "do gooder" too apparently, but I have been watching the Blues for over 45 years now and that experience gives me one thing you lack and that is perspective. Look it up.

.....i just knew you was an old fogey!

I thought the difference between the two sides was Wycombe's finishing, despite not having a hatful of chances they scored 4 times, worked Bentley for at least two saves and hit the woodwork. Though we probably had decent possession today and won a few corners their keeper barely had a save to make. We don't seem to possess any players who can score a free kick, take a decent corner or get on the end of a set piece. As soon as we went 2-1 down it was always going to be difficult for us to get anything out of the game due to our lack of goal threat.

O'Toole looked terrible again today, he seemed slow, overweight and the game passed him by. There must be big question marks against his character and application especially after bombing out of Northampton so quickly (who are a poor side anyway). Although he needed replacing it was little use bringing Deegan on as he offers no attacking threat, I feel Clifford deserves a chance as he is more likely to score.

This perfectly sums up yesterday's game and also our current dilemma.

First of all I went yesterday...
When I got off the coach yesterday I guy said to me, am I the only one who thought we didn't play that bad?
I said no, we were very much even 11 vs 11. He said yes, they were just more clinical!

I don't know how many people have picked up on that chance corr had at 2-1, through on goal and kneed it wide! Was shocking from a striker! Hayes or McClure would of buried that! We will never progress with corr as our vocal point striker.
I don't think we can just rest on one season where he scored 20 goals and think he is indispensable, all the things he used to do well he just simply just doesn't/can't do any more, regardless of style of play. It really does leave me bewildered at how many excuses are made for him, anyone else and fans would tear him apart, and I appreciate he works hard but so would I! I could easily run around for 90 mins, get beat in the air, be offside, never get in the box... And score penalties

One striker away from a top three finish in my opinion.
Agree with every word. Especially the bit about some people regarding him as indispensable. Can't really see how he has acquired such a cult following. Fresh face up front in January please Mr Brown.

In recent weeks and months I have been somewhat hyper-critical of the team and Phil Brown in particular, but I've missed filling my weekends with mediocre football and Wetherspoons liquid refreshment, so I've got myself a half-seaso and decided to travel yesterday (against my better judgement, as I have been to Adams Park too many times to count, and have never seen us win), but I was both enthused and appalled by some of what I saw yesterday.

I agree with others who have suggested that the officials had a major bearing on the game - the referee was unbelievably inconsistent (a League 2 trait unfortunately), and his assistants guessed most of their efforts. Nowhere was this more evident than when JJoT was booked for nothing more than a slight barge, yet he turned a blind eye to numerous professional fouls from the Wycombe players (btw, I still think we are nowhere near cynical enough to succeed in this harshest of Leagues).
However, we were, yet again, our own worst enemy. We started like the proverbial train, and the goal was a result of some excellent flowing football involving Weston and Payne (my word, this lad is an unbelievable talent), and we could have gone 2 up fairly quickly thereafter, but we looked lethargic and indecisive at the back, and I'm not quite sure what was going on between Prosser and Timlin, but every time WW came forward, the net result was a fairly heated disagreement between the two about positioning - in grimly predictable fashion, Prosser was fully to blame for the first goal (did anybody else notice he seemed to be ducking into his marker every time an aerial ball came toward him?). The second was another unbelievably soft piece of defending, and was appallingly timed from a Southend perspective, but we came out fighting in the second half and were still very much in the game until the sending off, at which point we seemed to lose all discipline across the pitch and I actually think Bentley could have done far better for both goals (ok, the fourth was a decent strike, but he seemed to be poorly positioned like for the preceding free kick).
To me, the almighty collapse shows up PB for what he is - a marquee name (at this level anyway) who isn't really up to the job of picking a first XI and setting them up to do a professional job at fellow promotion contenders - results like this can be very damaging in the course of a season, and with the perennial loss to Burton just round the corner, Christmas could be setting up to be quite depressing at Roots Hall. Doesn't make a difference now, but a manager more in the mould of John Still would probably have been a far better bet, particularly given the budget he worked on at Daggers and the relative riches we have here...

My overriding concern in all of this remains that I personally feel we have a very decent squad (on paper), but we have a manager and a training regime which perhaps isn't working to their strengths.
In spells, we didn't play that badly yesterday, but we don't create enough chances for what is already an ineffective front line, and we aren't defensively disciplined enough to hold on after going a goal up, so where do we go from here?

I love the man, but it pains me to say that I think Corr has had it now - he was slower than an arthritic pensioner yesterday and hardly won a header against a pretty frail looking Wycombe defence.
If we lose Payne in the window, we will be in serious trouble, as Clifford aside we don't really have any driving impetus through the centre of the pitch, and our wingers blow hot and cold.

Strangely, I'm not as disillusioned as I should be following a heavy defeat, and I don't really know why :unsure:

In recent weeks and months I have been somewhat hyper-critical of the team and Phil Brown in particular, but I've missed filling my weekends with mediocre football and Wetherspoons liquid refreshment, so I've got myself a half-seaso and decided to travel yesterday (against my better judgement, as I have been to Adams Park too many times to count, and have never seen us win), but I was both enthused and appalled by some of what I saw yesterday.

I agree with others who have suggested that the officials had a major bearing on the game - the referee was unbelievably inconsistent (a League 2 trait unfortunately), and his assistants guessed most of their efforts. Nowhere was this more evident than when JJoT was booked for nothing more than a slight barge, yet he turned a blind eye to numerous professional fouls from the Wycombe players (btw, I still think we are nowhere near cynical enough to succeed in this harshest of Leagues).
However, we were, yet again, our own worst enemy. We started like the proverbial train, and the goal was a result of some excellent flowing football involving Weston and Payne (my word, this lad is an unbelievable talent), and we could have gone 2 up fairly quickly thereafter, but we looked lethargic and indecisive at the back, and I'm not quite sure what was going on between Prosser and Timlin, but every time WW came forward, the net result was a fairly heated disagreement between the two about positioning - in grimly predictable fashion, Prosser was fully to blame for the first goal (did anybody else notice he seemed to be ducking into his marker every time an aerial ball came toward him?). The second was another unbelievably soft piece of defending, and was appallingly timed from a Southend perspective, but we came out fighting in the second half and were still very much in the game until the sending off, at which point we seemed to lose all discipline across the pitch and I actually think Bentley could have done far better for both goals (ok, the fourth was a decent strike, but he seemed to be poorly positioned like for the preceding free kick).
To me, the almighty collapse shows up PB for what he is - a marquee name (at this level anyway) who isn't really up to the job of picking a first XI and setting them up to do a professional job at fellow promotion contenders - results like this can be very damaging in the course of a season, and with the perennial loss to Burton just round the corner, Christmas could be setting up to be quite depressing at Roots Hall. Doesn't make a difference now, but a manager more in the mould of John Still would probably have been a far better bet, particularly given the budget he worked on at Daggers and the relative riches we have here...

My overriding concern in all of this remains that I personally feel we have a very decent squad (on paper), but we have a manager and a training regime which perhaps isn't working to their strengths.
In spells, we didn't play that badly yesterday, but we don't create enough chances for what is already an ineffective front line, and we aren't defensively disciplined enough to hold on after going a goal up, so where do we go from here?

I love the man, but it pains me to say that I think Corr has had it now - he was slower than an arthritic pensioner yesterday and hardly won a header against a pretty frail looking Wycombe defence.
If we lose Payne in the window, we will be in serious trouble, as Clifford aside we don't really have any driving impetus through the centre of the pitch, and our wingers blow hot and cold.

Strangely, I'm not as disillusioned as I should be following a heavy defeat, and I don't really know why :unsure:

Excellent post in fact one of the best I have ever seen on here.

Well, it didn't start too well...........for me, at least. Arrived at the the chateau of my brother and sister-in-law somewhere in the country between Montauban and Moissac, half-hour before kick-off, with no one there to provide a wifi connection. By the time I got connected because of being in the proximity of my sister-in-law's computer, we were already one up and I was a happy, if rather frustrated bunny. In the end, the evening meal of an incredibly good oysters, followed by a superb Lot Americaine washed down with a great 2011 Reisling provided me with some compensation for a disappointing afternoon. Would I have exchanged the meal for three points and a McDo?.................now that's a good question.....and I'm not answering:winking:!
The comments I make are of course mainly based on what I heard from the commentary (which was so precarious that it didn't permit me to risk posting on the SZ OT). I have already voiced concerns about the quality of our defence this season and how against a better team, we could be punished..................and on this occasion, indeed were. That is perhaps a little harsh, as, through suspensions and injuries (illnesses) we were seriously weakened on Saturday.....CP's tweets about our defensive problems prior to the match were, sadly, no bluff. We clearly, desperately need Coker back but at least, against Burton we should have Thompson and a fitter White........well that's an improvement, if not a total solution. In general, our problems at the back wouldn't appear so critical if we were able to be banging them in at the other end.
From what I heard, Paul Clark (?) didn't believe that the ref got that much wrong and was only critical of his inconsistency in dealing with O'Toole and Hayes in the first half. As a number of you have already pointed out, clinical finishing was one of the major differencies between the two sides. This was exemplified by a dangerous free-kick with which we were unable find the target and a similar opportunity that they scored from.
I share many of the concerns about Brown's managerial qualities (or lack of). His decision to sign O'Toole and Deakin, where many of us saw priorities elsewhere is still long from being vindicated and what actually is the true situation with O'Toole.............is his signing assured, no matter how he performs during his loan spell? Yet clearly calls for Brown to be sacked are precipitous with the results in November and a team that are there or thereabouts in the play-offs, any such calls are going to fall on deaf ears. I'm afraid we are stuck with him for the forseeable future (end of the season) and we shall just have to hope that this team, as some say on here, is one or two players and a bit of tweaking away from a good side. (He says, not totally convinced).
The thing that worries me (apart from, I don't know how many years rest for me to see us get out of this awful league) is that this season, with the amount of finances apparently available and a seemingly rather weak division, we could be in the process of blowing it. I'm afraid, as far as I'm concerned, promotion is the only acceptable success this season; it's what Brown was brought in to do and if we fail, HE fails. Whilst teams like Wycombe are just oiling their squad to make it run more smoothly and iron out one or two blips in form, we're, twenty games into the season, still looking at how the parts work. No matter how hard and with how much heart Corr works up front, he still appears to be our only option..........and it ain't working that well.

.....i just knew you was an old fogey!

This forum is all about opinions and arguments to those opinions . I may not agree with opinions that differ to my own , but I respect them nonetheless. I also understand that forums are a place for freedom of speech, but you Wiggy , I believe are a stain on this forum. You pathetic anti Southend comments are widely known on here, but personally for me, I'd love up stick your fishing rod where the sun don't shine ! You bring and add nothing . Please disappear without a trace. You and your pathetic comments or wishes for Southend to lose , so that you feel you have a right to point, are not wanted around here.

Pathetic excuse of a "fan" !

(Of course above is my own opinion - I may be proved wrong by the majority - however I feel here I won't be !)

This forum is all about opinions and arguments to those opinions . I may not agree with opinions that differ to my own , but I respect them nonetheless. I also understand that forums are a place for freedom of speech, but you Wiggy , I believe are a stain on this forum. You pathetic anti Southend comments are widely known on here, but personally for me, I'd love up stick your fishing rod where the sun don't shine ! You bring and add nothing . Please disappear without a trace. You and your pathetic comments or wishes for Southend to lose , so that you feel you have a right to point, are not wanted around here.

Pathetic excuse of a "fan" !

(Of course above is my own opinion - I may be proved wrong by the majority - however I feel here I won't be !)

It's okay, I'll just add it to the long list of insults I get from Wiggy when he/she has no argument.

Back