• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil and Co have either been desperately unlucky with their pick of goalscorers to join us , or some genuine and consistently poor judgements have been made. I wrote before we signed Weston not a good plan as a goalscorer, based on lots of views I respect from Gills fans.
Coulthirst was apparently being chased by a lot of clubs , but now struggles to get on the pitch ( 15 league appearances--2 goals) Bazzer has banged in 3 league goals in 17 ( 2 pens). Barnard , personally didnt want to see him signed, now out on loan and struggling to find the net.
Phil then says he is bringing in OToole for his goalscoring. right.
Meanwhile Prosser, White, Thompson, Sokolik and Bolger 68 appearances...... Goals .............. 1 Egan and Legge 2 centre backs at Gillingham ....goals 10!
Meanwhile at lower level Williams hits 5 in 6 games.

Agree with you. The stats do not lie. This squad does not have enough goal potential in it.

I don't quite get why some people are so defensive of our position. Even the greatest optimists among our supporters would have had scarce conviction about believing we would beat Wycombe yesterday and that is mainly down to the knowledge we were unlikely to outscore them.

There are more times than not, when we attack, we do not even look like scoring. We do not penetrate with the same certainty as many of our opponents. We do not have a strike force that is competitive at this level. The very fact we only have two strikers is beyond belief and not something replicated by any other manger. So have they all got it wrong?

many of our players, in my opinion, are as good if not better than those at Wycombe but we are second to Wycombe in terms of scoring potency.

Weve only played 3 of them at home though, 1 win and 2 draws isn't bad.

Played 4 away and not a single point !

We narrowly beat the relegation strugglers or lower table BUT we struggle to gain anything from the better teams and any team not capable of taking points from their main rivals ain't doing in terms of going up.

I said on here after just 5 or 6 games we were 5 points off top and would struggle to close that gap and now a further 15 games have passed and we are now 7 points from top.

Agree with you. The stats do not lie. This squad does not have enough goal potential from set pieces in it.

Edited. At set pieces, attacking and defending, we looked poor against Wycombe. We don't score enough from set pieces or cause much of a threat. With the amount we get, I'd say it wouldn't be unrealistic to say we should get 15 goals at least from them. Apart from Corr, who would you rely on to be getting their head on it? Prosser and Bolger are good at heading defensively, but accurately heading towards goal is different.

Played 4 away and not a single point !

We narrowly beat the relegation strugglers or lower table BUT we struggle to gain anything from the better teams and any team not capable of taking points from their main rivals ain't doing in terms of going up.

I said on here after just 5 or 6 games we were 5 points off top and would struggle to close that gap and now a further 15 games have passed and we are now 7 points from top.

And look where Wimbledon are with their much lauded strike force !

You must be really close to him to know what he earns. I really distasteful thing to share on a public forum.

I think they may have been close, or at least mrsblue wanted them to be, it's the only explanation I can think of for bitterness of such an extreme towards him

I think they may have been close, or at least mrsblue wanted them to be, it's the only explanation I can think of for bitterness of such an extreme towards him

I actually like Phil as a person as he comes across as amiable and a bit of a joker but sadly as a football manager def not for me.

I actually like Phil as a person as he comes across as amiable and a bit of a joker but sadly as a football manager def not for me.

fair enough, I was much the same with Sturrock. I think we are very close to being a force with Phil, if we avoid our customary awful december then I think we'll be top 3

fair enough, I was much the same with Sturrock. I think we are very close to being a force with Phil, if we avoid our customary awful december then I think we'll be top 3

I sincerely hope you are correct.

We need probably 46 points from 26 games so 15 wins and 1 draw required to potentially claim 3rd place.

We have 10 games against the current top 10 remaining.

If we manage 15 points from those games that would give us 49 points from 30 which means we would still require 31 points from 16 games at neatly 2 points a game which is very hard to achieve.

I don't quite get why some people are so defensive of our position. Even the greatest optimists among our supporters would have had scarce conviction about believing we would beat Wycombe yesterday and that is mainly down to the knowledge we were unlikely to outscore them.

There are more times than not, when we attack, we do not even look like scoring. We do not penetrate with the same certainty as many of our opponents. We do not have a strike force that is competitive at this level. The very fact we only have two strikers is beyond belief and not something replicated by any other manger. So have they all got it wrong?

many of our players, in my opinion, are as good if not better than those at Wycombe but we are second to Wycombe in terms of scoring potency.

I had little conviction in beating them because we were going to play away from home against the top team in the division who have only lost 3 games all season.

I certainly dont expect to be able to outscore them when we are conceding 4. Even before the sending off were were 2 down, you cant expect to score 3 goals away from home to win games.

It would have been a fantastic result to have got a win up there, but if anyone had expectations that a win was a likely outcome they need to get their feet back on the ground.

I had little conviction in beating them because we were going to play away from home against the top team in the division who have only lost 3 games all season.

I certainly dont expect to be able to outscore them when we are conceding 4. Even before the sending off were were 2 down, you cant expect to score 3 goals away from home to win games.

It would have been a fantastic result to have got a win up there, but if anyone had expectations that a win was a likely outcome they need to get their feet back on the ground.

And that is the problem. Reality prevented us from having hope or expectation against Wycombe,even before kick off, which means it is abundantly clear we do not have a top side where even its own fans fancy their chances. For me much of the team is fine but, and its a boring but, the attack is ridiculous.

No amount of excuses can put right the incredulous position we are in with only two strikers and neither of those up to muster.

And that is the problem. Reality prevented us from having hope or expectation against Wycombe,even before kick off, which means it is abundantly clear we do not have a top side where even its own fans fancy their chances. For me much of the team is fine but, and its a boring but, the attack is ridiculous.

No amount of excuses can put right the incredulous position we are in with only two strikers and neither of those up to muster.

It is incredible we have 2 forwards one is on his last legs whilst the other has had a torrid spell here.

Professional club with good crowds only has 2 strikers is slightly insane.

But we conceeded four goals. We shouldn't need to go away to a decent side needing to score five to win.

I struggle to remember the last time we lost a match when it wasn't the fault of the strikers. Probably when Bilel was here and he could get blamed instead. Even when we got utterly outclassed and relegated in the Championship a load of people blamed Freddy Eastwood and Matt Harrold.

There's 24 teams in this league. Based on size and budget I'd guess we'd be somewhere between maybe fourth and eighth in the division. We're better than most of the sides we'll play and not as good as the better ones. I just wonder what some people's standards and expectations are some times.

It is incredible we have 2 forwards one is on his last legs whilst the other has had a torrid spell here.

What is insane is the same old characters coming out of the woodwork when we lose our first game in five.

But we conceeded four goals. We shouldn't need to go away to a decent side needing to score five to win.

I struggle to remember the last time we lost a match when it wasn't the fault of the strikers. Probably when Bilel was here and he could get blamed instead. Even when we got utterly outclassed and relegated in the Championship a load of people blamed Freddy Eastwood and Matt Harrold.

There's 24 teams in this league. Based on size and budget I'd guess we'd be somewhere between maybe fourth and eighth in the division. We're better than most of the sides we'll play and not as good as the better ones. I just wonder what some people's standards and expectations are some times.

Yes we shipped 4 goals but we would have lost had we shipped 2 goals. Hindsight shows we were not going to get anything out of the Wycombe game but before it we still did not think we could and yet before it few expected to let in 4.

Haven't you been classing Weston as a striker nearly all season, oh but that doesn't fit your new line of attack (see what I did there :winking:).

Who cares if we have 10 strikers or 2, if we play 4-5-1 then we will have just one striker playing. More strikers does not equal more goals!

Back