• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown slams defending

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown slammed his side’s defending and a red card shown to Jerome Binnom-Williams after suffering the heaviest league defeat of his Shrimpers’ tenure at table-topping Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.

More...

That's it Phil. Slam the defence for one very poor game and ignore the frailty of our attack in every game. Well balanced mate. Not.

That's it Phil. Slam the defence for one very poor game and ignore the frailty of our attack in every game. Well balanced mate. Not.

I'm guessing by signing Lee he was ignoring the attacking part. :facepalm:

I'm guessing by signing Lee he was ignoring the attacking part. :facepalm:

Get real. we needed more than one signing up front and even then, how long is it since that signing and incident? he has had plenty of time to rectify it.

We have scored 2 goals in 3 of our last 5 games.

We conceded 4 goals in one game which is what he is focussing on, and you accuse him of no balance when you are totally ignoring the reason we actually lost the one game in 5 we have?

He could have signed 5 strikers and we will still lose games if we concede 4 goals and play with 10 men.

Get real. we needed more than one signing up front and even then, how long is it since that signing and incident? he has had plenty of time to rectify it.

Isnt playing Payne in the 'hole' what he has done to rectify it?

We should certainly have another striker, but we play with one out and out striker with Payne now playing just behind them, he has made changes...

So just sign 3/4 strikers on loan when we play 1 up front, brilliant! The loan window closed about 3 weeks ago so what could he have done?

This might be a first on the zone, but how about actually naming targets instead of bringing out the old line of "we need a genuine goalscorer". One thing I always see on here is people moaning about problems with no real solution to offer.

Then why didn't we sign a replacement striker? Instead we signed an 8th CM..

Maybe he couldn't find a good enough replacement. O'Toole was always going to be signed as he has been in for him twice before, even though it seems like a pointless one.

So just sign 3/4 strikers on loan when we play 1 up front, brilliant! The loan window closed about 3 weeks ago so what could he have done?

This might be a first on the zone, but how about actually naming targets instead of bringing out the old line of "we need a genuine goalscorer". One thing I always see on here is people moaning about problems with no real solution to offer.

I never said 3 or 4 strikers. Thats your exaggeration. Nor is it for me to do Phil's job by identifying targets. Commonsense says Phil brought Lee in because he wanted/needed to add to our attack and then has done nothing to reinforce that. Commonsense also tells us our attack is inadequate. Go figure.

Maybe he couldn't find a good enough replacement. O'Toole was always going to be signed as he has been in for him twice before, even though it seems like a pointless one.

More coaching staff than ever before and they can't identify a striker? Maybe it's time some of the extra staff were let go to free up some wages.

Come on , you know that all our rivals in this League are queueing up to sell us their 'genuine goalscorers' - why wouldn't they ?
And all the genuine goalscorers at the top of League 1 , are desperate to drop a League ( and salary )............:winking:

Come on , you know that all our rivals in this League are queueing up to sell us their 'genuine goalscorers' - why wouldn't they ?
And all the genuine goalscorers at the top of League 1 , are desperate to drop a League ( and salary )............:winking:

I bet there is not a team in any division interested in buying any of our forward line.

I never said 3 or 4 strikers. Thats your exaggeration. Nor is it for me to do Phil's job by identifying targets. Commonsense says Phil brought Lee in because he wanted/needed to add to our attack and then has done nothing to reinforce that. Commonsense also tells us our attack is inadequate. Go figure.

3 or 4 is more than 1. Commonsense isn't it?

Ah yes, taking the easy way out. Moan and moan but when it comes to stick your neck on the line you back out.

He has "done nothing", is that purely based on us not signing someone or have you been following him around?

Our attack is inadequate? Which part then? Stab in the dark you are talking about Corr, the one who is meant to be a target man and goal poacher all rolled into one. Win the ball in the air then sprint 30 yards into the box, that is not his game and exactly why Payne is in the team - just look at the goal against Wycombe. Jack Payne had a good game, but nearly everytime he got the ball was from a Corr knock down and he was given the space to run into by Corr.

Ok. To define. Our strikers. Payne and Worrall are not strikers.

We play a system with one out and out striker and Payne in the hole just behind him like same as Rooney/ and big Messi play.

When we are talking about what Brown has done to sort out our attacking performances you cant just ignore that.

Come on now..................
So get Barney back , but him up top with Corr and drop Payne ?

Why make up a scenario I never even suggested. What we are doing is not working. It has not worked well under the whole of PB's tenure. Goals always seem to be at a premium. Something needs to give.

Most of the debate seems to be because so many want to defend Corr. He is not the man to get us up. End of. We need to find some way of playing where we actually look a threat and we just don't.

Back