• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best strikers in the Premier league...ever!

Choose your top three

• Ronaldo

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Bergkamp

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Cantona

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Henry

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • Drogba

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Zola

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Shearer

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Rooney

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
Did they? Got 37 goals in 57 games in all competitions for club and country the first season without Beckham and then 20 in 33 the season after before leaving for Real Madrid.

Cant say Ronaldo was a striker as he was a winger. So my top 3 are Henry, Bergkamp and Shearer (would have been RvN).
He got 80 in 101 when Beckham was there. 70 in 118 when he left.

He got 80 in 101 when Beckham was there. 70 in 118 when he left.

Losing arguably the best crosser in the league would have a knock on effect for any striker's goal scoring record, but would never say scoring 70 in 118 games is near "dried up".

Andy Cole is always criminally neglected in these polls. Just a phenomenal forward, and far more devastating over a prolonged period than Michael Owen for instance. His career petered out quite tremendously and he didn't have the ability/inclination to adapt his game.

Andy Cole's record was fantastic BUT....there were times in his Man Utd career when he was a bit of a joke. For a while, it looked like Ferguson had been mugged when Newcastle effectively got Gillespie and Ferdinand for Cole. Also, Cole never did anything internationally, which is essentially irrelevant for a discussion about best PL striker but perhaps helps explain why he tends to get a bit forgotten.

And now to argue against myself, he was absurdly good in that 93/94 Newcastle team and also came back from being maimed by that fat **** Neil Ruddock to keep on scoring goals year in year out.

Yeah on paper Andy Cole is a shoe-in, but so many times he looked so awful but just had that knack of popping up with a goal. The fact that he's the Premier League's 2nd highest ever goalscorer but got 15 caps and 1 goal for England says it all. He had stiff competition, but it showed that he was well behind Shearer in terms of all round quality, and was propped up by a very strong Man Utd team.

Also, if Aguero stays in the PL for another three or four years, he'll be a cert for the top three

Lewis Hunt went off injured after about 25 minutes, to be replaced by Simon Francis. I can see how one might be confused as Ronaldo didn't show after that, but technically I think it was Steven Hammell(!) at left-back who had Ronaldo in his pocket that night.

Yeah it was Hammell who kept Ronaldo quiet. Ronaldo was on the right wing IIRC. Don't think he fancied Roots Hall on a cold November night.

Yeah it was Hammell who kept Ronaldo quiet. Ronaldo was on the right wing IIRC. Don't think he fancied Roots Hall on a cold November night.

I often think that the torrid time JCR gave Heinze that game was why he was gone at the end of the season

Did they? Got 37 goals in 57 games in all competitions for club and country the first season without Beckham and then 20 in 33 the season after before leaving for Real Madrid.

Cant say Ronaldo was a striker as he was a winger. So my top 3 are Henry, Bergkamp and Shearer (would have been RvN).

Exactly my voting and thinking.

The fact that he's the Premier League's 2nd highest ever goalscorer but got 15 caps and 1 goal for England says it all.

The way Cole, Fowler, Wright and Collymore were all overlooked by England for fear of upsetting Shearer was as big a crime against English football as the one Stuart Pearce committed when he left Beckham out of the GB Olympic Squad.

Back