• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yeah but they cant really be on the radio going on about how boring the game is, and its their job and they don't have to pay their hard earned to watch it!

Ive heard them say that before.

I think its the commentators have to be kinder. Lets be fair they are never going to come out with "Southend have been utter dog*** today" or " Bolgers ****ing useless why did we pay money for that" are they. Also they get paid to watch it while we have to pay to watch it. We created nothing and for me that makes it ****ing boring.

Thats not the case at all, they have said on plenty of times we have been poor, they wouldnt be doing their job unless they gave a decent depiction of the match.

There is a difference between playing well and not creating enough chances to just being terrible, but some fans dont judge on anything more than 'did we win?'

One to forget that - a game that made me physically sick! I'm not used to that coastal Southend chill yet. :omg:

Defence:
Coker and White did well;
Bolger and Prosser do not talk to each other and never seem to be in line;
Bolger needs to just concentrate on the basics of defending, when he does he looks useful, blocking, heading, tackling then just giving the easy 5 yard ball. Do your job mate. He didn't and as a result looked poor.

Midfield:
Hurst and Worrall, both worked very hard indeed, beat their men on a few occasions to get balls in to one man in the box:
Atkinson also played well, Leonard's touch was rubbish on more than one occasion and he struggled to get in the game, though was not for lack of trying - I liked how he showed for the ball in tight areas when Bentley had it in his hands, he wants to play, thankfully Bents doesn't have much confidence in his ability.
Payne (yes midfield) really like this kid, the only player with any real quality, when the ball got to him he made things happen. He's actually more suited to playing in a higher division in my opinion as hell get more time on the ball and more respect. Down here it's 100mph. Interesting comments from Thompson in the programme - he said the same (about footballers in general);

Forwar(d)
Corr worked hard, made his presence known and did his best to hold up the play but not much he can do on his own. To play a home match with one striker is pitiful. His volley in the first half was comical bless him.
sub Weston - mate just shoot when you have a chance

Burton are second in the league which just goes to show a steady run of consistent form can put anyone up there.
The fans who made it down certainly got my applause.

Ref wasn't very good either, view from row A in South Upper right behind goal was great, though that windchill ruined me in the night.

Last edited:
Why are people being so harsh on Bolger? He made a couple of excellent defensive stops, plays a good ball and looks more of a threat in the opposition box than Prosser does. You can't keep holding the Luton game against him.

I have seen him a few times now and last night was definitely the worst of the performances I have seen from him. His clearances are very Sunday league, nearly setting up Burton on 2-3 occasions. A couple of cross field balls that were aimed at the crowd. His concentration in my opinion is what needs to improve. We said the same about Prosser when he first came into the team, hopefully Bolger can match him in terms of development.

He does however have the makings of a good league 2 defender, fairly decent in the air, brave in the tackle and does make good blocks; so I am not going to disagree with the points you make.

You don't get promotion by drawing at home to good teams. If it was away it would be seen as a good point.

Indeed, its not a bad result against the team 2nd in the table, but if you draw at home against a team in the top 3rd at home then you are under pressure to get a result away.

I haven't been to a game for probably 2-3 months which I can't remember ever having such a long break.
I was disappointed but not surprised with what I saw, a lot of changes were made to the team from the last game. It was a bit of a nothing game with both teams showing limited desire to go and win the game. Burton dived about trying to win it cheaply but not the right way at all, I guess well played to the ref for being consistent but in the law of the game they should be yellow cards being shown?

A lot of the game was played down the wings with a lot of probing but not much quality. Corr should have scored 1 header from the throw in, and nearly had another, apart from that all we had to talk about was a Jack Payne shot straight at the keeper.

Bentley - 6 - Clean sheet but he didn't have to work too hard to get it. Good handling and kicking.

White - 6 - Did what was needed.
Prosser - 6.5 - Had a decent game.
Bolger - 5.5 - Some solid moments, some not so solid.
Coker - 7 - Showed some quality on his return and glad he got through 90 minutes.

Hurst - 6.5 - Worked hard but I don't think I saw him at all in the second half.
Atkinson - 6 - I didn't really notice him so can't really comment.
Leonard - 6 - Had an average game, defended well.
Worrall - 6.5 - Looked our biggest threat going forwards along with Payne, he just chose the wrong options or didn't provide enough quality at key moments.
Payne - 7 - Had a few mazy runs and a fizzing shot. Showed the most skill in the team with his pass/move and ball control but unfortunately couldn't unlock the door.
Corr - 7 - Won a lot of the headers, went close but he really should have had a goal.

Let's face it, it's time for a clear out up top. Corr has scored 3 in 19 games I think it is, someone correct me if I'm wrong. 2 of those were penalties. He is not even getting assists to justify him being our main striker. Weston still can't hit a barn door, still no work to improve him on the training ground. Coulthurst will be better playing with another team. I think it's horses for courses with him, but it's just not worked for him at Southend.
3 out, 3 in for me. Only then will we have a chance of getting out of this league.

Don't understand why some are so doom and gloom, I think we're 1 player away (A DECENT STRIKER) from having a league winning squad. Bring in Elliot Lee in January and I can see us having a great second half to the season.

You don't get promotion by drawing at home to good teams. If it was away it would be seen as a good point.

I stand by that being a good point. Buton would have been 8points adrift with a loss, as it happens only 5, last season we would have lost that - possibly the point that takes us up..

I stand by that being a good point. Buton would have been 8points adrift with a loss, as it happens only 5, last season we would have lost that - possibly the point that takes us up..

If we were banging in the goals, then you could say it's O.K. to draw at home as we have the firepower to make up for it in other games away. But we are not banging in the goals needed. After the weekend results that point will not look so good. Getting only a point in home games no matter who it's against, will see us keep sliding down the league.

If we were banging in the goals, then you could say it's O.K. to draw at home as we have the firepower to make up for it in other games away. But we are not banging in the goals needed. After the weekend results that point will not look so good. Getting only a point in home games no matter who it's against, will see us keep sliding down the league.

Na, still think it's a good point against a tough team. We're in and around the play-offs. That's good!!

One to forget that - a game that made me physically sick! I'm not used to that coastal Southend chill yet. :omg:

Burton are second in the league which just goes to show a steady run of consistent form can put anyone up there.
The fans who made it down certainly got my applause.

Ref wasn't very good either, view from row A in South Upper right behind goal was great, though that windchill ruined me in the night.

Righto wimpy spammer, a few things to remember at the Hall:

• Always assume you are going to freeze your nuts off in the winter and dress accordingly (thermal vest, thick socks etc).
  • Only applaud Burton fans silently, they totally screwed us last season and don’t yet deserve applause which includes sound effects.
  • Assume that all refs at Div 2 level will be complete helmets unless Mick’s pre match review states otherwise.
  • Sit in the West stand, it can sometimes be warmer in winter especially if you sit next to a fat person and use them as a wind break.
Easy when you know how mate, we’ll make a shrimper of you yet:smile:

Righto wimpy spammer, a few things to remember at the Hall:

• Always assume you are going to freeze your nuts off in the winter and dress accordingly (thermal vest, thick socks etc).
  • Only applaud Burton fans silently, they totally screwed us last season and don’t yet deserve applause which includes sound effects.
  • Assume that all refs at Div 2 level will be complete helmets unless Mick’s pre match review states otherwise.
  • Sit in the West stand, it can sometimes be warmer in winter especially if you sit next to a fat person and use them as a wind break.
Easy when you know how mate, we’ll make a shrimper of you yet:smile:
Understood sir!! :smile:
Very nearly didn't make it to The Boleyn today, I'm in an East Ham boozer as we speak lugging whisky to get rid of that Southend windchill so must stop being rude and log off this.
Your comments have been noted.

Despite the result. It looks like this weekend we have moved up 2 spots to 8th. Good point.

Its plain to see, team needs at least one striker, prob is where can they, if striker any good parent cub will want to keep.

Is Lee Barnard returning ?

Sixth isn't a bad position, but we're five points off the automatics. We desperately need some strikers.

I notice that Lee Barnard was substitued at Stevenage today after 15 minutes due to an injury......... I hope it's not serious, he could have been the answer for us...

good point, but cant be happy with not scoring?

I am sure Phil will get that sorted. Elliot Lee should be back with us soon and let's hope he can score a couple. Would be nice to see the defenders chip in with a few from set pieces though, Barrett esc.

Phil brown has us playing some
good football and I believe we will make the play offs comfortably and with a bit of luck OUSH for automatics. We matched if not bettered a very good Burton side.

Despite the result. It looks like this weekend we have moved up 2 spots to 8th. Good point.

6th I hope :)

Its not a terrible result, but the problem is we have to go away to Burton and every point dropped at home is a point needed away from home, and we have a terrible record against the top half away so far.

I am sure Phil will get that sorted. Elliot Lee should be back with us soon and let's hope he can score a couple. Would be nice to see the defenders chip in with a few from set pieces though, Barrett esc.

Phil brown has us playing some
good football and I believe we will make the play offs comfortably and with a bit of luck OUSH for automatics. We matched if not bettered a very good Burton side.

Indeed, if we are "defensive" what on earth are they. They have changed manager and still up to their old tricks. Awful club.

Back