• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

23 games complete - 23 games to come.

5 points off the top. 6th place.

How are we doing? I suspect there are 2 main camps.

a) Kick on in the new year and the automatics are within our grasp.

b) The only way is down - we'll be lucky to get in the play-offs.

Personally, I'm still in the a) camp ....... but privately thinking of the b) scenario. :sad: :unsure: :facepalm:

I just looked at the table and only 3 teams have scored less goals than us. On the flip side only 3 teams have conceded less than us.

Surely there will be a point in time where our attacking players start to find the back of the net on a more consistent basis!

Like you I am still positive that we can get automatics, but we will finish in the playoffs due to the system we play.

Unless Brown changes this style of play for our home games we will be in league two next year!

There is a good team in the squad, BUT I don't think Mr Brown has put it out on the field, assembled and balanced yet. He doesn't seem to know which way to go forward or how to get the best out of what we have.
However; the players all look fit and work hard for the full game time.
The injuries to key players (Coker especially, but maybe also Jacob's & Mads) have not helped us.
For me the problems start and finish, primarily, with the back line up when Luke and either Thommo or Bolger play together as the central two; between then they can't make a decent pass out or take the ball forward: hence it is either hoof or the middies have to drop so far back to receive a side wards 5 yd pass that the front lads are isolated and midfield is then stretched. I know we don't concede many BUT we ain't ever going to score many as any build up is too slow and lacking in support.
We COULD still make the automatic places BUT Mr Brown needs to steal a bit of Barry Fry method and commit to getting some goals; and scoring more if that is to happen: or I fear we will have another set of play off and an almost season AGAIN.
:sad:

Ok, but could be doing so much better. Desperately need a goal scorer and commanding CB to stand any chance of success.

Brown seems to be an expert at sitting on the fence when it comes to where the goals will come from, in recent post match interviews he's stated that his belief is that we have the strikers needed in the current squad, yesterday he went on to say that he'll be looking to strengthen, either on loan or permanently, in January. Personally I'd like to see, an experienced, seasoned goal scorer to come in and work with the squad, in the same mould as Goater or Freedman.

Unless Brown changes this style of play for our home games we will be in league two next year!

I asked it a week or two back, but what is this style?

Yesterday we had 14 shots with 8 on target yet had 10 men for a large part.

We have people complaining about 451 but surely we play 4411 and if we were to play 442 with 2 strikers we have to lose Payne.

We clearly have an issue getting goals but I dont see any signs thats because we are trying to be too defensive, just that we struggle to put the ball in the back of the net.

Ditch Weston and watch our season improve. So many of our moves breakdown when he gets the ball. Teams should be built around the best passers. In any team like that Weston would be first out of the door.

I asked it a week or two back, but what is this style?

Yesterday we had 14 shots with 8 on target yet had 10 men for a large part.

We have people complaining about 451 but surely we play 4411 and if we were to play 442 with 2 strikers we have to lose Payne.

We clearly have an issue getting goals but I dont see any signs thats because we are trying to be too defensive, just that we struggle to put the ball in the back of the net.

Spot on here.

The top three if they continue collecting points will have 86 for third place!,we would then require 47 from 23 games which considering our form against the better teams then add in we simply do not score enough I cannot see us averaging 2 points per game.

I think at best we face the lottery of the play offs.

We are not overly defensive at all. The defense is not as watertight as it could be but is adequate. The midfield has far too many problems in that it often plays too flat which allows one ball from the opposition to bypass it completely and put someone through on goal. The midfield and the defence are not scoring enough. Much of this is down to poor set pieces and profligate mids that always want to bang in a 'worldy' instead of working the ball to better placed players. We have no attack of any note and is a total disgrace. The blame for that is laid fair and square at PB's door because the problem has been going on too long unattended.

If and its a big if, we could get a half useful forward in January, then we may salvage the season. Failing that I am convinced we will not even make the play offs.

As for the JW debate, why not? Regardless of inexperience he cannot possibly lend less to the side than what we have.

Should be top three by now with these players however we have the most ridiculous manager making all the wrong decisions that will probably put us top ten at best in a very poor league. Get rid of him now for certain promotion with anyone with half a clue!

It is quite interesting that we all seem to think there is something "wrong" with the team ........... but we are not in agreement with what the problem is.

I would start with the defence - we need to get a steady four at the back and keep clean sheets as the basics. But if we are looking for promotion then we need them to come forward with the ball (particularly the centre backs) and start adding to the goals scored.

That would assist the midfield and they in turn would assist our more forward players.

Our problem is scoring goals, not creating chances. This is partly to do with the style and partly to do with a striker who, through no fault of his own, is not as mobile as he was nor who attracts sympathy from refs.

I still think we will be there or thereabouts, we have the calibre of players required, we just need to learn to capitalise on our opportunities.

It is quite interesting that we all seem to think there is something "wrong" with the team ........... but we are not in agreement with what the problem is.

I would start with the defence - we need to get a steady four at the back and keep clean sheets as the basics. But if we are looking for promotion then we need them to come forward with the ball (particularly the centre backs) and start adding to the goals scored.

That would assist the midfield and they in turn would assist our more forward players.

There are things all over the pitch that could and should be improved. We must be the worst in the division at corners for a start. We rarely score from them. Our tallest players are not scoring from them. Most of the corners are rubbish. Then there's the short corner, Lol. Crossing from a free kick is just as bad.
Our central defenders are very hit and miss concerning passing a ball. They can do a great crossfield pass one minute and then pass straight to an attacking player the next. Passing a ball, and the striking of a ball for toothless strikers are things that can be improved upon with the right coach, with practice.
The 1 up front for home games has to be ditched. Not only is it harder to score but is painful to watch by the paying customer, expecting to be entertained.

There are things all over the pitch that could and should be improved. We must be the worst in the division at corners for a start. We rarely score from them. Our tallest players are not scoring from them. Most of the corners are rubbish. Then there's the short corner, Lol. Crossing from a free kick is just as bad.
Our central defenders are very hit and miss concerning passing a ball. They can do a great crossfield pass one minute and then pass straight to an attacking player the next. Passing a ball, and the striking of a ball for toothless strikers are things that can be improved upon with the right coach, with practice.
The 1 up front for home games has to be ditched. Not only is it harder to score but is painful to watch by the paying customer, expecting to be entertained.

I agree with all of that.

Everybody on the board. Is aware our problem is putting chances away.
Bazza is doing a good job but has no one in support.
We have two of the best wide men in the division, especially when Coker links with Hurst, but Worrall is outstanding.

A big problem is when do we get goals from a defensive player. Not very often. Or even from midfield.
Yes the only striker can freeze when they have to think Bazza at Cambridge.
We should not just be blaming the strikers!!

I think Young Jack may need a rest. i am aware of the hero worship for him, and when he does something wrong
No bad reaction but others do the same Its a totally diffrent reaction.
We need in the stands to stop having blinkered views on certain players.!!

Give Williams the role Young Jack has but move him slightly forward to play off Bazza.
Our defence is sound Bolger is out for three games. Although i think Thompson is only a squad player.
Bolger is a excellent defender but woefull at distribution, but there is a good player in there.
Just bloody stupid yesterday!!
We are not playing Timlin enough instead of Atkinson.

All in All a acceptable not spectacular start, but Tango does need to change tactics a home and go for it a bit more.

Our problem is scoring goals, not creating chances. This is partly to do with the style and partly to do with a striker who, through no fault of his own, is not as mobile as he was nor who attracts sympathy from refs.

I still think we will be there or thereabouts, we have the calibre of players required, we just need to learn to capitalise on our opportunities.

Not sure I agree with this... there are some games where we just dont work their keeper. Not all bad finishing just a desire to overplay and pass sideways or backwards. We have been creating more with Coker back for sure though.

Back