• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy Ansah recalls the day Southend United thrashed Newcastle United to top old Divis

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United start the new year still looking to escape from League Two. But, 23 years ago, the Shrimpers’ sights were set far higher. David Webb’s side memorably thrashed Newcastle United 4-0 at Roots Hall on the first day of 1992 to surge to the top of what is now the Championship. That remains Blues’ highest ever league position. And it is a match Andy Ansah, one of Southend’s goalscorers that day, still remembers with great fondness.

More...

I don't remember much of the match but that was my first game. Aged 5. I apparently loved it so much that I pestered my Dad to take me every week after that.

I was there that day...a classic....lunchtime kick off on New Years Day...still loads of Geordies made the trip down..what a result :happy: :happy:

Came out the ground that day convinced we were going upthen webby and jobson fell out big time and it all went horribly wrong . what a day though.

Being top for that afternoon was just amazing. I remember buying the T-Shirt that has the Sports headlines etc all over it

Came out the ground that day convinced we were going upthen webby and jobson fell out big time and it all went horribly wrong . what a day though.

That was the best ever day for me at the Hall. What a team we had then and all playing to hit the big time.
That was when the rumour started that Jobson did not want promotion because he could not afford ground improvemnts that would have had to of been made. A big row was reported at the time between the pair. Cant see us ever being in that position again sadly.

I blame Vic Jobson for this, if Ron Martin was in charge that year, we would have gone up in 92!!

Remember it very well- I was in the North.
seem to remember 3 of the goals- angel's that was i think deflected, Keith Jones just before half time (?) he turns and shot low into the corner and also the last (?) where i seem to recall Andy Ansah headed home a cross from the right back (Stead? ).
Particularly remember the ultra casual announcement soon after the end along the lines of thanks for coming and '...oh by the way we're top'.
Happy days- but not I recall for Ossie Ardilles sat in their dug out..

01/01/1992 Sansome; Austin, Powell (Groovy Baby, Yeah!), Prior, Scully; Jones, Ansah, Cornwell, Tilson; Benjamin, Angell, sub Butler.
Att: 9458.

From February that season we then won 4 drew 3 lost 11 and finally finished 12th.

Oh, what could have been.

Great memories!! Really enjoyed the interview with a SUFC legend!

If I recall correctly Kevin Keegan had just taken over at Newcastle to get them out of relegation trouble? One of the stand out performances at RH ever. We didn't just beat them, we smashed them. Happy days.

01/01/1992 Sansome; Austin, Powell (Groovy Baby, Yeah!), Prior, Scully; Jones, Ansah, Cornwell, Tilson; Benjamin, Angell, sub Butler.
Att: 9458.

From February that season we then won 4 drew 3 lost 11 and finally finished 12th.

Oh, what could have been.

Remember accually feeling sorry for the Newcastle fans who made the long jouney to watch their trully awful side.
Interesting to compare the side then to now. Two out and out strikers in Benjamin and Angell. Two very skillful but lightweights in Ansah and Jones...where was our steel in centre midfield that we seem to require nowadays???? Tilson i seem to remember also liked to get forward and score his share of goals. Could it possibly be that in those days we made the opposition worry about our attacking flair and how to deal with it when they came to the Hall..... and not the other way around.?

Remember accually feeling sorry for the Newcastle fans who made the long jouney to watch their trully awful side.
Interesting to compare the side then to now. Two out and out strikers in Benjamin and Angell. Two very skillful but lightweights in Ansah and Jones...where was our steel in centre midfield that we seem to require nowadays???? Tilson i seem to remember also liked to get forward and score his share of goals. Could it possibly be that in those days we made the opposition worry about our attacking flair and how to deal with it when they came to the Hall..... and not the other way around.?

Way more steel in a midfield of Keith Jones and John Cornwall than a midfield of Leonard and Atkinson!

How points from promotion did we end up?

That was a quality division as well - we thrashed Blackburn 3-0, who won the prem 3 years later, derby, middlesboro, Newcastle, Leicester all invested heavily (for the time) to go up....

How points from promotion did we end up?

That was a quality division as well - we thrashed Blackburn 3-0, who won the prem 3 years later, derby, middlesboro, Newcastle, Leicester all invested heavily (for the time) to go up....

1 Ipswich Town 84
2 Middlesbrough 80
3 Derby County 78
4 Leicester City 77
5 Cambridge Unite 74
6 Blackburn Rovers 74
7 Charlton Athletic 71
8 Swindon Town 69
9 Portsmouth 69
10 Watford 65
11 Wolverhampton Wanderers 64 .
12 Southend United 62