• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Spot on with what PB would say. That's 6 points dropped in the last 3 home games and 1 win I the last 6 games.
Not good enough PB

S
Slagging off the back four,not understanding Deegan [ MOM Again], Piggott is more off the same, Clean sheets rubbish etc

Have to say, I didn't agree with the Deegan comment. Saying he did what he was there to do but offered nothing else is like saying Bentley made a great couple of saves to keep us in the game but offered nothing else. Deegan was never there to score a hattrick, he was there as a defensive midfielder to protect the defence which he did brilliantly. Giving him a rating of 0.5 more than Payne and Leonard is crazy.

Makelele made 217 appearances for Chelsea and scored just two goals, but Chelsea fans will still tell you he was one of their greatest defensive midfielders, as he wasn't there to score the goals. He gave the team a licence to get forward and attack knowing that they weren't leaving themselves open.

Second game since I've been back from India - second consecutive 0-0 draw. Just Pompey away for me before I return - please boys score me one goal! We just seem bereft of confidence going forward and no-one seems to believe we're going to score. Pretty poor game, thought Deegan was our best player. Coulthirst tries but bad decision making in the box. Leonard seems a shadow of his former self - why is Timlin on the bench?

Great to be back at Roots Hall and thanks for the positive welcome given to my wife and 10-month old Charlie for his first game - although as had been said is it some sort of child abuse to introduce a child to supporting Southend?!

Frustrates the life out of me hearing OUR supporters booing OUR players at the end of the match when they worked their flippin' socks off today in keeping a clean sheet and getting a draw. Obviously a win would have been better, but I just wonder what people want? The game was exciting, those 3 or 4 bursts forward by Shaq in the 2nd half were all potential game winning runs.

Can't understand why people are being so over the top in their enthusiasm for Deegan, yes he did well, but he also played us into trouble on a couple of occasions. Didn't hear a MOTM, did we not have a sponsor today?

Considering we were playing against the wind in the first half, which, conveniently dropped considerably in the second, we did ok. McCormick, for them, had a great game. Overall, I am happy with a point.

Bentley - 6.5, couple of key saves
White - 7, got stuck in and put in some good crosses
Thompson - 7.5, my MOTM, thought he had an excellent game, really matured and in control
Coker - 7, solid
Worrall - 6.5, tried hard
Deegan - 7, good effort
Leonard - 7, couple of bursting runs and shots
Binnom-Williams - 7, again, did ok, the defence looked better and more confident with him slotted into central
Payne - 6, lots of energy but looked out of his depth at times
Coulthirst - 6.5, couple of wrong decisions, on another day he'd have had better luck
Piggott - 7, good debut, put himself about and showed promise

Subs:
Weston for Payne - just don't get it with Weston, game was crying out for Timlin's authority in the middle
Atkinson for Shaq - didn't get that either

Ref:
Did ok, one of the better ones this season, just felt there were some odd decisions at times.

One reason I don't post directly after games, is because feeling are perhaps running a little too high to write with any objectivity.

In my personal opinion, the frustration comes when you see a striker clean through on goal on a couple of occasions (bearing in mind our current scoring record) and he fluffs the shot straight into the ‘keeper’s arms or drags it wide. We can’t afford such wastefulness when we are in this predicament, and as the game clock ticked on, you could sense this frustration boiling all around the ground (certainly around us in the South Upper).

The overriding disappointment is our lack of composure in and around the 18 yard box – I haven’t seen one outstanding team visit RH this season, but our generosity knows no bounds when giving away sloppy points.

As for the Deegan love-in, I suspect this is more to do with the fact that given our failings at the other end of the pitch, the fans appreciate a spot of tough tackling and over-zealous confrontations with the opposition to warm them up and detract from the otherwise boring football

I remember Deegan was MOM v Shrewsbury, another good side as were Plymouth. There was another thread about him being to aggressive-LOL. He was on a yellow v Morecombe and with them rolling around and cheating, still gave a good performance.

Absolutely disgraceful. Serious question, when did we last score at home?

For a big lad the new boy looked very powder puff in the air. A poor, very poor mans Barry Corr on that showing.

Perhaps Ron don't care anymore as his stadium dream is dead. Why else would you keep on a manager that is absolutely clueless on scoring goals.....takes off the obvious playmakers/scorers for blokes that would not score all year. Until he is gone mid to bottom table is a certainty!

So you are saying Payne was playing well then ?

Mid to bottom table is a certainty, even though on our current form we are in the play offs. Gotcha.

Its certainly frustrating at the moment, but lets keep some sort of reality, we arent going to be in the bottom half of the table, thats absurd. Whether we have enough to get promoted remains to be seen, certainly need to start scoring.

Anyone who was at Northmapton would tell you MOTM was Timlin, and yet he finds himself dropped?
Seriously can we bring back Clifford? A player not afraid to have a dig outside of the box?!

Anyone who was at Northmapton would tell you MOTM was Timlin, and yet he finds himself dropped?
Seriously can we bring back Clifford? A player not afraid to have a dig outside of the box?!

Which is probably why he isn't getting a sniff as we're clearly instructed not to shoot from distance.

FWIW i thought i was a fairly entertaining game played in high winds.

Plymouth unlike all of the dross that usually visit actually came for the 3 points and had it not been for a few good save the woodwork and some last ditch tackling they would have done, but that said the same could be said vice versa (minus the crossbar)

I thought williams and thomspon put in a good shift. I thought deegan played really well and despit what others said he did get the ball out wide to set up attacks. It was actually a very maheresque performance.

Piggott looked useful and would have got some assists had it not been for coulthirsts abysmal fnishing

We have enough shots, we need quality chances with the them being converted.

Long shots from outside the box doesnt sound like an improvement to me.

Absolutely disgraceful. Serious question, when did we last score at home?

For a big lad the new boy looked very powder puff in the air. A poor, very poor mans Barry Corr on that showing.

At last, We get to the big talking point and someone posts a thread about our new boy. Would say better on he floor, created good first chance [ scuffed wide of course]. Could have a been in the six yard box more, although some crosses were not good enough for him to attack. Due to the wind the Jury is out on heading, lots of fresh air. Not looking like he is going to trouble the stitch docter.

I'm unable to go to matches at the moment as I am in recovery from an operation and reduced to listening to the matches on the radio and I don't appear to have missed much. However we go to matches to be entertained and as thrilling as missed chances are its goals that ultimately give you the entertainment.

Success/Promotion is something else. Years ago when we played on Friday nights I often went to Millwall. In 1975-76 they were promoted on the back of a good defence. Around Easter they had a five match sequence of 0-0, 0-0, 1-0, 0 0, and 0-0. They were promoted but they did not entertain.

Yes, Millwall went up that year on the back of a strong home record (w16 d6 l1) and of those 4 goalless draws, three were away from home. They also scored 35 home goals. At our current rate it would take us nearly two seasons to amass that many.

And, more significantly, in those days 4 draws were as good as two wins and two defeats. No longer the case.

They also drew nil-nil at R 0-0 ts Hall that season.

Some interesting names in their line up that season Gordon Hill, Frank Saul and, yes, Ron Davies. Barry Kitchener was immense at the back and played in every game except the one that clinched promotion.

Speedy recovery from your op, Peter !!

We have enough shots, we need quality chances with the them being converted.

Long shots from outside the box doesnt sound like an improvement to me.

Lenny is now a big disappointment with his shooting. He's gone backwards. Clifford is the best by a mile shooting from outside the box and yet he can't get any game time. Incredible. Surely if you need a goal and a bit more firepower, you start or bring on Clifford rather than Atkinson.

Frustrates the life out of me hearing OUR supporters booing OUR players at the end of the match when they worked their flippin' socks off today in keeping a clean sheet and getting a draw. Obviously a win would have been better, but I just wonder what people want? The game was exciting, those 3 or 4 bursts forward by Shaq in the 2nd half were all potential game winning runs.

Can't understand why people are being so over the top in their enthusiasm for Deegan, yes he did well, but he also played us into trouble on a couple of occasions. Didn't hear a MOTM, did we not have a sponsor today?

Considering we were playing against the wind in the first half, which, conveniently dropped considerably in the second, we did ok. McCormick, for them, had a great game. Overall, I am happy with a point.

Bentley - 6.5, couple of key saves
White - 7, got stuck in and put in some good crosses
Thompson - 7.5, my MOTM, thought he had an excellent game, really matured and in control
Coker - 7, solid
Worrall - 6.5, tried hard
Deegan - 7, good effort
Leonard - 7, couple of bursting runs and shots
Binnom-Williams - 7, again, did ok, the defence looked better and more confident with him slotted into central
Payne - 6, lots of energy but looked out of his depth at times
Coulthirst - 6.5, couple of wrong decisions, on another day he'd have had better luck
Piggott - 7, good debut, put himself about and showed promise

Subs:
Weston for Payne - just don't get it with Weston, game was crying out for Timlin's authority in the middle
Atkinson for Shaq - didn't get that either

Ref:
Did ok, one of the better ones this season, just felt there were some odd decisions at times.

I did boo at the end out of sheer frustration, but it was most definitely aimed at Brown and his bizarre subs rather than at the players. Just wanted to make that clear, I'm sure some others who booed were doing likewise.

Their were some people booing in the east greens booing. Don't agree with it myself because it undermines team spirit and the players will to play for the fans. Booing your team is disruptive and it can take a team many games to come back from the experience and put in a shift for the crowd. That said this club has suffered so much frustration in recent years that passionate fans as we are, we have to let off steam sometimes.

I did boo at the end out of sheer frustration, but it was most definitely aimed at Brown and his bizarre subs rather than at the players. Just wanted to make that clear, I'm sure some others who booed were doing likewise.
But it's the players that hear it, and that's disheartening and counter productive.

But it's the players that hear it, and that's disheartening and counter productive.

The players still came round and applauded and were applauded back by the fans. It's not their fault the manager is stifling the life out of them and I think deep down they know that.

Back