• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm personally hoping we get another striker in and send Coulthirst back.

I have been saying it from almost day one when watching him in games and training, he just needs a good striker coach. The amount of times he just had the goalie to beat this season, and yet nearly every shot goes wide or a weak shot straight at the goalie. He needs retraining on how to strike a ball. He could of had about 12 goals by now if he could shoot. He's had about 50 shots for Southend. When he shoots wildly wide or over the bar at training, Dave Penney doesn't say a word. There's no correctional coaching at all.

It's all very well having a very good defensive record but no-one will get promoted unless they can score more than their opponents in a good proportion of games.

Can someone explain to our management team what is required. At this rate of 0-0s we will not get near the play-offs.

Have to agree with this sadly. I thought Bolger was a liability but then I watched Thompson today. I'm sure there's a good player in there somewhere and I know he's young and has time on his side, but he nearly caused us some huge problems and gave away silly fouls as he doesn't seem to be able to win a header without climbing all over his man.

Glad it's not just me. Bentley was the sole reason for the clean sheets continuing today. Thompson won a fair share of headers today but other than that was as poor as usual. Another headless chicken to add to the growing list. For me it's not the defenders who are contributing most to the clean sheets, it's more the way we set up in midfield which is protecting them. Leonard is clearly under orders to sit. Whilst I am delighted to see our bedrock is a strong goals against tally, the alarming lack of goals is likely to undermine this. Again, it's not the personnel up top which worries me, moreso that when we attack more often than not we have three at most in their box, against seven or eight of theirs. The odds are continually in the oppositions favour. I'm becoming more accepting every day that it's the playoffs for us this season, and more and more accepting that if Brown doesn't win the lottery then at least we may get a change next season.

This whole thing of not scoring is a tricky one.

We ARE creating chances. That is a positive.

If we weren't then that would be a worry. But we are.

We are not lucky in front of goal. That hopefully will change.

It feels like at home our form is like a car that is misfiring... we haven't really got going yet but when we do, watch out.

Our away form is good.

We are in the position we are in DESPITE our home form... and I have a feeling that will change fairly soon.

Keep the faith.

Blue Army!

Well, despite the obvious failings upfront and the defensive mistakes, and there were a fair number across the park,I quite enjoyed yesterday's game. Not rating, but here are my comments.

Thought we we did a brilliant job of showcasing Bentley, he saved our skin on several occasions and we should have been 2-0 down by half time. Think we are in massive danger of Bentley only being a Southend player for a couple more games. Time to watch for the offers start rolling in I think! When he goes, this could cost us dearly as our safe 0-0s are likely to become defeats!

John White looked out of sorts, particularly when part of a 3 man set up. Looked better with 4.
Thompson has potential, but is lacking in experience and needs to curb his wild looking enthusiasm with better technique.
B-Williams did a fabulous job when he moved to the middle, looked solid despite being out of position and not a first choice on the team sheet.
Coker, reasonable performance but not at his best unfortunately.

Deegan - my MOM. Protected the back, won everything and looked really solid.
Payne had some lovely touches and made some decent runs, seems to be unable to make an impact now that the oppositions have had a chance to watch him. They are doing their homework and it is stopping Payne from exploiting his talents.
Worrall was a man of the match contender for me, turning up everywhere.
Pigott looked decent, but using the same set up and formation that has failed us for months which doesn't allow Barry Corr or Barney to score will do nothing to help this lad get on the scoresheet.
Coulthurst - agree with an earlier post. Needs specific coaching, as ability is there but not focused.
Lenny seems to be under orders to stay out of the way, what happened to his powerhouse performances?

couldnt see the point of the substitutions, added no value at all. Too late and too conservative, we need to be taking risks! Despite its obvious failings, yesterday's patched up defence was pretty solid so we do have a firm base, but we lack confidence in the final third and we are too predictable.

I'm unable to go to matches at the moment as I am in recovery from an operation and reduced to listening to the matches on the radio and I don't appear to have missed much. However we go to matches to be entertained and as thrilling as missed chances are its goals that ultimately give you the entertainment.

Success/Promotion is something else. Years ago when we played on Friday nights I often went to Millwall. In 1975-76 they were promoted on the back of a good defence. Around Easter they had a five match sequence of 0-0, 0-0, 1-0, 0 0, and 0-0. They were promoted but they did not entertain.

I'm unable to go to matches at the moment as I am in recovery from an operation and reduced to listening to the matches on the radio and I don't appear to have missed much. However we go to matches to be entertained and as thrilling as missed chances are its goals that ultimately give you the entertainment.

Success/Promotion is something else. Years ago when we played on Friday nights I often went to Millwall. In 1975-76 they were promoted on the back of a good defence. Around Easter they had a five match sequence of 0-0, 0-0, 1-0, 0 0, and 0-0. They were promoted but they did not entertain.

Everybody hates them they don't care!!

Frustrates the life out of me hearing OUR supporters booing OUR players at the end of the match when they worked their flippin' socks off today in keeping a clean sheet and getting a draw. Obviously a win would have been better, but I just wonder what people want? The game was exciting, those 3 or 4 bursts forward by Shaq in the 2nd half were all potential game winning runs.

Can't understand why people are being so over the top in their enthusiasm for Deegan, yes he did well, but he also played us into trouble on a couple of occasions. Didn't hear a MOTM, did we not have a sponsor today?

Considering we were playing against the wind in the first half, which, conveniently dropped considerably in the second, we did ok. McCormick, for them, had a great game. Overall, I am happy with a point.

Bentley - 6.5, couple of key saves
White - 7, got stuck in and put in some good crosses
Thompson - 7.5, my MOTM, thought he had an excellent game, really matured and in control
Coker - 7, solid
Worrall - 6.5, tried hard
Deegan - 7, good effort
Leonard - 7, couple of bursting runs and shots
Binnom-Williams - 7, again, did ok, the defence looked better and more confident with him slotted into central
Payne - 6, lots of energy but looked out of his depth at times
Coulthirst - 6.5, couple of wrong decisions, on another day he'd have had better luck
Piggott - 7, good debut, put himself about and showed promise

Subs:
Weston for Payne - just don't get it with Weston, game was crying out for Timlin's authority in the middle
Atkinson for Shaq - didn't get that either

Ref:
Did ok, one of the better ones this season, just felt there were some odd decisions at times.
Agree with these marks except those of John White who I thought was a 6.
Could not believe browns comments in the post match interview or that he couldn't remember his own player's names.

I think Brown is destroying Leonard. Keeping him in a more defensive role is not the right thing to do. He is best when attacking.

i cant see anyone disagreeing with that. he offered nothing (again) going forward yestersay, that is down to either him or Brown and I know where my money is

That's yet another by product of Payne being in the side in my opinion. He was poor yesterday, meaning the team lost out on either another striker from the start, or a more attack minded midfielder who's a bit more consistent a threat.

90 minutes of two teams playing some pretty awful football and neither team ever really looking like scoring. Again. I'm writing this this morning as I travelled back to uni after the game last night, having watched 3 games over my Christmas break and not seen a single goal, that's not what fans pay for and if I didn't use a season ticket then I highly doubt I would be paying to be back anytime soon.

How we can be 6th in this league is beyond me and goes to show just how bad this league is. We haven't won a game by more than 2 goals all season and haven't scored more than 2 goals in a game all season either, which is pretty shocking for a team that is so high up the league.

It's all very well and good not conceding many, but I would put that down to poor opposition and Dan being an outstanding goalkeeper rather than strong defensive performances. Today with 3 at the back, Thompson was exposed time after time and White and Coker were pulled out of position a few times as well. Williams is far from the most reliable player in the world either and his time at centre back wasn't too convincing.

Going forward, we were shocking today. Piggott is just Barry Corr three or four years ago, doesn't really offer anything new other than a bit more mobility and the ability to get dragged deep and out wide at times when we need the tall centre forward to be in the box. Shaq lacks the footballing intelligence to be clinical, he'll do a fantastic turn and then an awful pass, or run half the pitch and then wait for the defence to catch up and shoot straight at the keeper. Williams out wide seemed to have no idea where he was supposed to be most of the time, and Weston's introduction was about as useful as a lead balloon.

Deegan offers nothing going forward, Leonard is playing a much more defensive role this season and Payne just got bullied out of the game yesterday. How on earth Brown can justify putting Atkinson on for Shaq with 5 minutes to go at 0-0 at home when we were applying more of the pressure I don't know, Atkinson is a great player for keeping things solid but he isn't a match winner or a player who you can put on to score goals.

Dan Bentley 7 Made some good saves at times but didn't have masses to do
John White 5 Took him 4 or 5 attempts before he realised that the wind blew his long hoofs down the line into the stand, beaten almost every time by his man out wide as well
Adam Thompson 6.5 Very shaky at times and clearly lacking game time, especially as the most experienced centre back, made a few mistakes but on the whole did okay
Ben Coker 7 Wasted at centre back but did the job well and threatened going forwards out wide
David Worrall 7 Our biggest attacking threat yet again, got forward and tracked back well
Ryan Leonard 6 Little impact on the game, tried too hard with his long distance shots and didn't influence the game
Gary Deegan 6.5 He did what he was put there to do, break up the play, but offered nothing else
Jack Payne 6 Bullied out of the game by a physically big and strong team so struggled to have the influence he usually does
Jerome Binnom-Williams 6 Somewhere between left back and left wing to start with but ended up in no mans land most of the time, better at centre back but didn't look assured
Shaquille Coulithurst 6 He had the chances and showed glimpses with good turns but the end product is never there, his finishing and decision making is atrocious
Joe Piggott 7 A good debut when he has clearly only just met the rest of the team, got dragged deep and wide too much for my liking but a promising start

Myles Weston 6 No threat added by his introduction whatsoever
Will Atkinson 6.5 The wrong sub, and little time to impact the game at all

A big statement I know, but I don't see Phil Brown getting us out of this league. Last season we were excellent but didn't score enough, and this season we have taken a step backwards. He clearly can't find a goal scorer for this level and the drop in form from the likes of Leonard and Hurst is particularly worrying. Egan and Sokolik disguised a good, but not outstanding, defence last season, and the rest of the squad has been on worse form this season than last. The only two improvements are Jack Payne, although he can only be truly effective against certain opposition, and David Worrall, other than that I don't think Bolger, Weston, Shaq or any other new signings offer any improvement on what we had before. To retain our key players and take a step backwards from last seaon, still not resolving our key problem, is criminal and I don't see anything changing any time soon.

I think Brown is destroying Leonard. Keeping him in a more defensive role is not the right thing to do. He is best when attacking.

If you're picking on form, and considering we have a lot of options in midfield, I have no idea why we're picking Leonard currently. A month on the bench and he'll come back with his fire re-ignited.

If you're picking on form, and considering we have a lot of options in midfield, I have no idea why we're picking Leonard currently. A month on the bench and he'll come back with his fire re-ignited.

Seems to have done Deegan good, time to give Clifford another run.

90 minutes of two teams playing some pretty awful football and neither team ever really looking like scoring. Again. I'm writing this this morning as I travelled back to uni after the game last night, having watched 3 games over my Christmas break and not seen a single goal, that's not what fans pay for and if I didn't use a season ticket then I highly doubt I would be paying to be back anytime soon.

How we can be 6th in this league is beyond me and goes to show just how bad this league is. We haven't won a game by more than 2 goals all season and haven't scored more than 2 goals in a game all season either, which is pretty shocking for a team that is so high up the league.

It's all very well and good not conceding many, but I would put that down to poor opposition and Dan being an outstanding goalkeeper rather than strong defensive performances. Today with 3 at the back, Thompson was exposed time after time and White and Coker were pulled out of position a few times as well. Williams is far from the most reliable player in the world either and his time at centre back wasn't too convincing.

Going forward, we were shocking today. Piggott is just Barry Corr three or four years ago, doesn't really offer anything new other than a bit more mobility and the ability to get dragged deep and out wide at times when we need the tall centre forward to be in the box. Shaq lacks the footballing intelligence to be clinical, he'll do a fantastic turn and then an awful pass, or run half the pitch and then wait for the defence to catch up and shoot straight at the keeper. Williams out wide seemed to have no idea where he was supposed to be most of the time, and Weston's introduction was about as useful as a lead balloon.

Deegan offers nothing going forward, Leonard is playing a much more defensive role this season and Payne just got bullied out of the game yesterday. How on earth Brown can justify putting Atkinson on for Shaq with 5 minutes to go at 0-0 at home when we were applying more of the pressure I don't know, Atkinson is a great player for keeping things solid but he isn't a match winner or a player who you can put on to score goals.

Dan Bentley 7 Made some good saves at times but didn't have masses to do
John White 5 Took him 4 or 5 attempts before he realised that the wind blew his long hoofs down the line into the stand, beaten almost every time by his man out wide as well
Adam Thompson 6.5 Very shaky at times and clearly lacking game time, especially as the most experienced centre back, made a few mistakes but on the whole did okay
Ben Coker 7 Wasted at centre back but did the job well and threatened going forwards out wide
David Worrall 7 Our biggest attacking threat yet again, got forward and tracked back well
Ryan Leonard 6 Little impact on the game, tried too hard with his long distance shots and didn't influence the game
Gary Deegan 6.5 He did what he was put there to do, break up the play, but offered nothing else
Jack Payne 6 Bullied out of the game by a physically big and strong team so struggled to have the influence he usually does
Jerome Binnom-Williams 6 Somewhere between left back and left wing to start with but ended up in no mans land most of the time, better at centre back but didn't look assured
Shaquille Coulithurst 6 He had the chances and showed glimpses with good turns but the end product is never there, his finishing and decision making is atrocious
Joe Piggott 7 A good debut when he has clearly only just met the rest of the team, got dragged deep and wide too much for my liking but a promising start

Myles Weston 6 No threat added by his introduction whatsoever
Will Atkinson 6.5 The wrong sub, and little time to impact the game at all

A big statement I know, but I don't see Phil Brown getting us out of this league. Last season we were excellent but didn't score enough, and this season we have taken a step backwards. He clearly can't find a goal scorer for this level and the drop in form from the likes of Leonard and Hurst is particularly worrying. Egan and Sokolik disguised a good, but not outstanding, defence last season, and the rest of the squad has been on worse form this season than last. The only two improvements are Jack Payne, although he can only be truly effective against certain opposition, and David Worrall, other than that I don't think Bolger, Weston, Shaq or any other new signings offer any improvement on what we had before. To retain our key players and take a step backwards from last seaon, still not resolving our key problem, is criminal and I don't see anything changing any time soon.
Obviouly not studying football at uni then!!

Speaking to David Crown yesterday who raised a very valid point. If we end up in the play offs we need to score goals to get us through. We need someone to win the games for us. We can't rely on penalty shoot outs (heaven forbid). So we will still need a striker. Need one now before its too late.

Rather than just mock, why don't you point out the parts you don't agree with so sensible discussion can be made?
S
Slagging off the back four,not understanding Deegan [ MOM Again], Piggott is more off the same, Clean sheets rubbish etc

Back