• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

You cannot expect players to adapt to different formation at a drop of a hat,takes several games to create understanding.

Plus by many accounts the midfield was still shackled.

That is true, but the point is he has made drastic changes, and has made changes throughout the season, starting with 442/424 at the begninning, then 451, the 4411, now 442 and 352.

Making changes isnt something he is afraid of.

Midfield wasnt shackled at all.

Payne still had his freedom and the other two played their normal games. You arent going to get the entire midfield attacking when you have two strikers and Payne.

That is true, but the point is he has made drastic changes, and has made changes throughout the season, starting with 442/424 at the begninning, then 451, the 4411, now 442 and 352.

Making changes isnt something he is afraid of.

Midfield wasnt shackled at all.

Payne still had his freedom and the other two played their normal games. You arent going to get the entire midfield attacking when you have two strikers and Payne.

I agree with most of what you say and I do not consider us defensive but the midfield are not performing totally freely. They always seem to be in a position to get back quicker to help the defence than they do to get into the opposition box.

I agree with most of what you say and I do not consider us defensive but the midfield are not performing totally freely. They always seem to be in a position to get back quicker to help the defence than they do to get into the opposition box.

Midfielders have to defend, when you only have two of them (exluding Payne) both are going to have to get behind the ball, Id be stunned if they didnt.

In 352 two central midfielders should be fairly disciplined to allow Payne the freedom he gets. If you only had one striker Id be wanting an extra midfielder to be more attacking.

This is drifting from the point of the thread though, my point is that people keep saying Phill needs to change tactics, I was just pointing out we have played numerous different formations and have started playing 2 up front which people wanted.

Agreed we we are not overly defensive but we are too cautious ,hence why scoring is so diffulcult because if we don't score a worldly from 30 out or from the spot we are normally goal less.

PB was probably told at the beginning of the season, see where we are at Xmas (there or thereabouts) and if we need players for the final push over the line then I will back you

Midfielders have to defend, when you only have two of them (exluding Payne) both are going to have to get behind the ball, Id be stunned if they didnt.

In 352 two central midfielders should be fairly disciplined to allow Payne the freedom he gets. If you only had one striker Id be wanting an extra midfielder to be more attacking.

It does not matter what formation we play. For me it is clear we need one defensive mid (Deegan) covering our back four. Its his job to cut out the ball upfield and release it to A N Other. In a 4-4-2 that would leave three other mids to move forward, not gung-ho, and make ground into the oppositions final third and when possible into the box to support the two strikers. Defensively they will still put in some work as will at least one of the strikers. 3-5-2 is no different.

Our problem is that getting back as much as we do offers the opposition a lot of space to move up into and pushes us deeper. We hear so much about Corr helping defensively when he is the lone striker and its madness. If he stays up, 1 or 2 of the opposition will stay back to mark him. When he comes back the opposition can afford to put more men into the move and we end up deeper again.

Yes our mids need a good engine, to help defend and attack the opposition box, but our lads all seem good in that department.

ReturnoFF is spot on here. People will still moan. They always moan. I believe the majority on here get more pleasure out of a lose than a win. Morons.

ReturnoFF is spot on here. People will still moan. They always moan. I believe the majority on here get more pleasure out of a lose than a win. Morons.

Quite frankly, that's ridiculous. I'm as frustrated by some of the moaning as you are mate but that's quite a statement - and a good old bit of a moan in itself, no? If you think about it, it's the nature of things that people will be provoked into more debate about what's wrong than what's right. Easier to dissect a poor performance than an outstanding one when you're fully satiated by the result.

If you disagree, then argue the case. Calling each other morons is not what the Zone is about.

It does not matter what formation we play. For me it is clear we need one defensive mid (Deegan) covering our back four. Its his job to cut out the ball upfield and release it to A N Other. In a 4-4-2 that would leave three other mids to move forward, not gung-ho, and make ground into the oppositions final third and when possible into the box to support the two strikers. Defensively they will still put in some work as will at least one of the strikers. 3-5-2 is no different.

Our problem is that getting back as much as we do offers the opposition a lot of space to move up into and pushes us deeper. We hear so much about Corr helping defensively when he is the lone striker and its madness. If he stays up, 1 or 2 of the opposition will stay back to mark him. When he comes back the opposition can afford to put more men into the move and we end up deeper again.

Yes our mids need a good engine, to help defend and attack the opposition box, but our lads all seem good in that department.

So basically with the 352 and Payne being very attacking and accepting one midfielder will sit deep you are talking about just one single midfielder not being quite as attacking as you like.

Doesnt sound like a massive thing to me.

So basically with the 352 and Payne being very attacking and accepting one midfielder will sit deep you are talking about just one single midfielder not being quite as attacking as you like.

Doesnt sound like a massive thing to me.

Err no? Payne forward in 3-5-2 and one deep leaves three mids. I did not say centre mids. They all need to get to the box more.

I think Brown has done a good job this season. Yes he has lacked goals but he wants to fix that. Letting the 5 pkayers go yesterday was a good move and these two signings today could be the difference. I honestly think we will now look and even stronger side and we successfully gain promotion

You cannot expect players to adapt to different formation at a drop of a hat,takes several games to create understanding.

Plus by many accounts the midfield was still shackled.
What you mean like Saturday when we switched the 4 at the back half way through the game and they all looked more comfortable. If the new signings start to score hopefully we can stop being obsessed with formations.

What you mean like Saturday when we switched the 4 at the back half way through the game and they all looked more comfortable. If the new signings start to score hopefully we can stop being obsessed with formations.

And still failed to score !

Yes failed to score with the much demanded Shaq upfront. After his notable absence in the first half and in the second, his failure to roll a simple pass to little JP. He repeated the same mistake only minutes later with big JP. So I guess that proves PB wright all along. Goals come with the right personnel more than the formation.

Yes failed to score with the much demanded Shaq upfront. After his notable absence in the first half and in the second, his failure to roll a simple pass to little JP. He repeated the same mistake only minutes later with big JP. So I guess that proves PB wright all along. Goals come with the right personnel more than the formation.

It proves nothing but if it is right then PB is one of the last to address it. The personnel are his choice and high time he worked out it needed altering.

Brown does some good things, Brown does some bad things and some things are in-between.

It appears that having Brown as Manager was a selling point for Cassidy as I'm sure were other factors (longest pier ....etc)

Yesterday Brown was slaughtered on Twitter - today he can do no wrong, 24 hours is a long time in Football. If the changes work and lets face it we have the cor(r)e of a good team I can only see that overall we are in a stronger position now than say a week ago - who knows? Lets enjoy the 2nd half of the season and see what happens!

Back