• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A mate has just texted from Boots+Laces .... the supposed starting 11 are playing a game against the yoofs

You will be shocked by the line up !!!!! 2 changes from saturday but not necessarily the ones everyone is guessing :omg:

A mate has just texted from Boots+Laces .... the supposed starting 11 are playing a game against the yoofs

You will be shocked by the line up !!!!! 2 changes from saturday but not necessarily the ones everyone is guessing :omg:

Corr plays in 451 with Pig playing wide and Bazza in goal whilst Bents speak to Arry:smile:

Bentley
White Prosser Barrett Coker
Leonard
Worrall (RM) Atkinson (LM)
Payne
Pigott Cassidy

SUBS: Smith, Thompson, Deegan, Timlin, Shaq, Weston, Corr

I was going to bet on Barrett First goal scorer but as Girth stated on the other thread he's 1/100 on William Hill for first, last, double, hattrick and anytime!
Think we will win but it won't be as comfortable as some expect. 1-0 or 2-1 for me! Cassidy and then Worrall (if we score twice!)

And why not say the team or are you waiting to be asked first ?

Well come on then, what's the supposed line up?

And why not say the team or are you waiting to be asked first ?

Tbh I would buy this. I went down to B&L a few days after Brown was appointed before his first game against Bradford and we did a similar thing vs the kids and that 11 started against Bradford

My XI would be
Bentley
White Prosser Barrett Coker
Deegan
Leonard Payne Worrall
Piggott Cassidy

Bench P Smith, Timlin, Thompson, Binnon Williams, Coulthirst, Corr, Atkinson, Weston

With all of yesterday's excitement out of the way I think its time we started one of these.

I'd like to see us line up with...

Bentley

White Thompson Barrett Coker

Deegan

Worrall.....................Timlin

Payne

Piggott Cassidy

SUBS: P.Smith, Prosser, Hurst, Leonard, Corr, Coulthirst, J.Williams

I don't have the issue of Prosser and Barrett playing alongside each other because they're both left footed. No one bats an eyelid at two right footers playing together. With Thompson, I see a player in there somewhere just bursting to come out. I think having someone of Barrett's experience alongside him is really going to help progress his game.

Yep - 100% agree with this

Yep - 100% agree with this

100% agree also, defence looks balanced and solid, midfield workmanlike and plenty of pace and energy going forward.

Just hope he doesnt carry on playing the likes of Bennon Williams and Weston over these names mentioned.

He will be on the right wing.

As for Thompson, apart from giving away an easy pass I thought he put in a solid performance against Plymouth and had Reid in his pocket winning every header.

If you play 442 diamond he cant play on the wing.

If we play 442 with the forwards playing just apart from each other we will spank them,however if Phil does his usual then I expect anything from 0 0 to 1 0 either way.

Attack attack attack.Stuff the 4411 stuff the 451..either 442 or 352 the only way forward.

Which is what we have played the past two games and still had the low scores. I dont think he will go with 352 this time around though.

Hopefully the new players will however give us a boost to make the difference.

Personally dont care if it is 1-0, as long as its to us, a win is what matters right now.

If you play 442 diamond he cant play on the wing.

Yes he can. The 4-4-2 diamond is essentially just a standard 4-4-2 but with one central midfield in a more attacking position and the other in a more defensive position.

Yes he can. The 4-4-2 diamond is essentially just a standard 4-4-2 but with one central midfield in a more attacking position and the other in a more defensive position.

I’m going to bore the pants off you all now. I actually studied the origin of the 4-4-2 diamond and it’s evolution. Flamengo are widely regarded as the first team to use a diamond with one deep man, two shuttling and one creating, at least that was the theory. The diamond is supposedto be played with a DM, 2xCM and an AMC. Flamengo had a Hungarian coach who played 3-2-2-3 which was relatively successful but not popular with the fans who thought it stifled natural creativity. The next coach saw the benefits ofthe system but knew he had to adapt to appease the fans so it became 3-1-2-1-3 which is where the diamond was created. Despite its success it evolved further into the 4-2-4 that Brazil won the world cup with in 1958 and the diamond wasn’t seen again for a long time. The 60’s saw the return of a man in front of the defence for solidity, Ratin for Argentina is the best example but teams were still reluctant to lose width. Alf Ramsey saw the benefit of a Ratin style player and put Nobby Stiles in that role for England with Ball, Charlton and Peters all given licence to get up with the front two, this was not a diamond though and widely considered a 4-1-3-2. Yugoslavia played a true diamond in the00’s but came unstuck against width and teams playing an orthodox 4-4-2. I think the formation chapperz is referring to is one known as a wide diamond which I’m not convinced by, I understand that modern footballers should be fluid but I think it asks too much of the wide men. I think with our players we would bebetter off letting our strikers drift wide and keep the midfield solid,Coulthirst would be good for this role and maybe Weston, Payne would have to be making runs into the box and the 2 CM’s should not be far behind. I can find faults in any way we play a diamond though as it either stops key players doing what they are good at (ie Coker getting forward as much) or getting some of our best players on the pitch (i.e Worrall & our new strikers) If we take the width from the full backs it gives them a lot to do and I’m not sure the role suits White. It’s a real conundrum!

Maybe a team that keeps a clean sheet should not change its defence ? Would be a major shock but i wonder if we will start with
.....................Bentley.....................
White...Thompson...Binnon Williams...Coker
Worrall....Leonard....Deegan.......Timlin
........Cassidy..............Piggott.........
YES-that's my choice EXACTLY.If fit,Hurst might need to come on for Timlin 2nd half.Other subs:P.Smith,Barrett,Clifford,Payne,Coulthirst,Correct.

I’m going to bore the pants off you all now. I actually studied the origin of the 4-4-2 diamond and it’s evolution. Flamengo are widely regarded as the first team to use a diamond with one deep man, two shuttling and one creating, at least that was the theory. The diamond is supposedto be played with a DM, 2xCM and an AMC. Flamengo had a Hungarian coach who played 3-2-2-3 which was relatively successful but not popular with the fans who thought it stifled natural creativity. The next coach saw the benefits ofthe system but knew he had to adapt to appease the fans so it became 3-1-2-1-3 which is where the diamond was created. Despite its success it evolved further into the 4-2-4 that Brazil won the world cup with in 1958 and the diamond wasn’t seen again for a long time. The 60’s saw the return of a man in front of the defence for solidity, Ratin for Argentina is the best example but teams were still reluctant to lose width. Alf Ramsey saw the benefit of a Ratin style player and put Nobby Stiles in that role for England with Ball, Charlton and Peters all given licence to get up with the front two, this was not a diamond though and widely considered a 4-1-3-2. Yugoslavia played a true diamond in the00’s but came unstuck against width and teams playing an orthodox 4-4-2. I think the formation chapperz is referring to is one known as a wide diamond which I’m not convinced by, I understand that modern footballers should be fluid but I think it asks too much of the wide men. I think with our players we would bebetter off letting our strikers drift wide and keep the midfield solid,Coulthirst would be good for this role and maybe Weston, Payne would have to be making runs into the box and the 2 CM’s should not be far behind. I can find faults in any way we play a diamond though as it either stops key players doing what they are good at (ie Coker getting forward as much) or getting some of our best players on the pitch (i.e Worrall & our new strikers) If we take the width from the full backs it gives them a lot to do and I’m not sure the role suits White. It’s a real conundrum!

Busy at work?

Not boring at all. Very interesting.

Didn't bore me KS, I appreciate this kinda thing. The one thing I around formations is that people assume that they need to be exactly symmetrical. They don't. The team we are discussing is a good example where Worrall can play much wider in front of the more defensive full-back of White. Timlin can tuck in to compete in a more central position and allow the more attacking fullback, Coker, to push on.
We have done this before when I think the 4 midfielders were Mkandawire, Hurst, Timlin & Laird. Hurst being the 'wider' player of the 4.

Back