• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Didn't bore me KS, I appreciate this kinda thing. The one thing I around formations is that people assume that they need to be exactly symmetrical. They don't. The team we are discussing is a good example where Worrall can play much wider in front of the more defensive full-back of White. Timlin can tuck in to compete in a more central position and allow the more attacking fullback, Coker, to push on.
We have done this before when I think the 4 midfielders were Mkandawire, Hurst, Timlin & Laird. Hurst being the 'wider' player of the 4.

I get your point that formations don't necessarily have to be symetrical but a certain level of dicipline is needed. A scenario where Worrall has commited himself up the pitch and Timlin has come in to compensate for that leaves us very narrow if the opposition counter. I think any of the front 3 given freedom is fine as our defensive shape isn't affected, perhaps I am splitting hairs as sometimes you need to take these gambles and it doesn't seem a ridiculous idea to me, I just have my reservations. That said I can't see Phil going for it for the very reasons I have mentioned.

Talking of styles and set ups Gills chairman Paul Scully has just said Peter Taylors 5 man defence, often played with wing backs was not popular with him . He said I want us to attack more, the previous system didnt suit the players,. " I dont think you can have a system and and try and teach the players to play the system, You have to look at the players you have and design a system around them" Looking at your strengths..
Defender Legge ( scorer of 5 goals) said "WE are enjoying the new style of football and its helped take the pressure off defenders" ( by being more attacking) When you are pressing high it gives defenders a break, getting higher suits us better.
Justin Edinburgh has emerged as a possible replacement for Spud. He hasnt ruled out the Gills and Steve Claridge announced he had sat next to him watching the Gills. Edinburgh is reported as saying " if the call comes .. I do want to speak to Gillingham"

It would be a shame if Justin Edinburgh goes to Gillingham. I was rather hoping he would succeed Phil Brown if and when Phil moves on. But I think Ron Martin missed his chance when he decided to replace Paul Sturrock.

Bentley
White, Barrett, Prosser, Coker
Worrall, Leonard, Timlin, ?
Piggott, Cassidy

That's the essence of the side, just not sure what's going to happen on left wing, could well be Weston if Hurst not fit.

Temperature below zero in Oxford tonight. Hope there is no danger of a frozen pitch and game being called off. Snow also forecast overnight.

Bentley
White, Barrett, Prosser, Coker
Worrall, Leonard, Timlin, ?
Piggott, Cassidy

That's the essence of the side, just not sure what's going to happen on left wing, could well be Weston if Hurst not fit.
Certainly right to leave Payne out for a while but can't believe anyone who saw last week's game would consider dropping Deegan,esp. Not for an away game.

Certainly right to leave Payne out for a while but can't believe anyone who saw last week's game would consider dropping Deegan,esp. Not for an away game.

I think Deegan will play in a five man midfield. Cant see PB changing a habit of a lifetime, and play two up top. So only say Piggot as a striker.

Demes anyone else have the good feel factor back due to the las test signings? Hopefully this rubs of on the squad and gives us the final push for promotion

It is difficult to predict what PB will do. Timlin was very good at Northampton but benched last week. And yet Deegan did not play at Northampton but did against Plymouth. Perhaps it has to do with what PB and his staff consider will be the formation adopted by the opposition. In choosing their team, it is surprising how often Atkinson is overlooked by posters, even as a bencher.

I think the popular view would be to have all three of our new boys in the starting eleven. I get a little bit cautious about starting all three so soon after arriving, and I think we will see one, possibly two, on the bench, especially as this is an away game.

Struggling to make this, got a stinking cold, car off the road this weekend, train journey from Herts £50, ground 4 miles from the station which would mean taking a bus with common people :smile:, plummeting temperatures......call me a fair weather supporter but going to have to miss out :sad:

Hope we get 3 points, but struggling to erase sight of Barratt stuck in the sandpit at Colchester.
I have managed a few away games this season but giving this one a miss. Been there before, good view from the stand, but behind the goal one end is just hoardings and a massive car park. Plus it is freezing cold, weather forecast lousy and no Blues coaches from North Wales!
Brothers from Southend going though so family support guaranteed:smile:
Predicting a 2-1 win.

just to save my fellow shrimpers who like a little flutter some money. A little bird told me not to back Barrett for the first goal.

He's not my cup of tea I'm afraid. Much prefer Timlin or Clifford in that role.

Back