• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Portsmouth are rubbish, they haven't won in 7 games, and have lost at home to Accrington, and Wimbledon in that time. Although they have shown signs of improvement with draws against Burton and Luton in the last three.

They are only 3 points of the relegation zone and if this was Mansfield, Accrington, Cheltenham, York etc, we would be saying a must 3 points.

Therefore Pompey will win :nope:

Form table

Last 6 matches (overall)
P W D L
6 Southend Utd 6 2 4 0 5 3 +2 10

24 Portsmouth 6 0 3 3 5 9 -4 3

So out of the 12 games played 7 of them have been draws.

Interesting how many people are leaving Payne out and those that are selecting him are chucking him out on the wing....

It's a tough one. I personally don't think our best formation (442) suits the best attacking player at the club (Payne)

It's a tough one. I personally don't think our best formation (442) suits the best attacking player at the club (Payne)

No I dont think he fits a standard 442 system and he isnt consistent enough to build a team around. Maybe he can adapt to play wider, but seems to square peg in a round hole to me.

I've been his biggest critic but this is harsh. Bolger is still very young and will make mistakes. I remember a certain Luke Prosser being utterly terrible in his first season and he is now our best defender (why he has been dropped for a left back with no positional sense I cannot comprehend).

That said Bolger should be out of the team for a while. He needs to learn from his mistakes and be chomping at the bit to prove himself again.

Yep Bolger is nowhere near the liability Prosser was when he was first here. Massive improvement from Prosser, who is a decent player now.

I thought JBW deserved to keep his place for the last game but I’d expect Prosser to slot back in Saturday.

Have to agree. It's Worrall.

Whilst also appreciating both Worrall and Payne , I actually think it's Hurst if all were at the top of their game.
Sadly , this season he has fallen short of the last two years and for me this is a big reason why a lot of our creativity at home has been missing.

Payne clearly has talent but certainly Worrall has had far more of an impact recently.

I dont think Brown will play him wide, maybe he will have to make do with coming on later in the game which might suit him.

Cue Brown getting slated the first game we dont win where Payne doesnt start...

Without Worrall's form over the last couple of months we would be really struggling, Coker's return has also made a huge difference, we now attacking options on both sides, just think back to earlier in the season when we had Hurst and Weston who kept swapping sides and produced the sum of bugger all between them.

Play 4-2-3-1 and drop one of the strikers for Payne

Bentley

White Prosser Barrett Coker

Timlin Leonard

Worrall Payne Shaq

Pig

Play 4-2-3-1 and drop one of the strikers for Payne

Bentley

White Prosser Barrett Coker

Timlin Leonard

Worrall Payne Shaq

Pig

I'd much prefer 4-4-2. We've badly struggled to score goals under 4-5-1, mainly because there's rarely many (if any!) in the box to take advantage of deliveries from out wide. With two up front we were able to get more bodies in the box leading to the 1st and 2nd goals at the weekend. If that means either playing Payne wide left or as an impact sub for a few games to see if our goalscoring form continues to improve then I'm all for it.

Bentley
white Thompson Prosser Binnon-Williams
Worrall Timlin Leonard Coker
Piggott Cassidy

Smith, Corr, Payne, Atkinson,barrett, Coulthirt, Hurst

Whilst also appreciating both Worrall and Payne , I actually think it's Hurst if all were at the top of their game.
Sadly , this season he has fallen short of the last two years and for me this is a big reason why a lot of our creativity at home has been missing.

Hurst has been crap since Clohessy left!

No, No, NO!

1 up front does not work

You can’t dismiss 1 up front completely, the problem was that Payne wasn’t playing close enough to the man up top IMO, he was playing as an attacking midfielder rather than a trequartista. I do think with the squad set up as it is that we should stick with 4-4-2 but I don’t see why 4-2-3-1 couldn’t work. I think it’s a popular misconception that 1 up front is negative, it isn’t always the case.

No, No, NO!

1 up front does not work

We have played 2 up front on a number of occasions and not found it any easier to score.

We scored 3 on Saturday, but one of them, the winner, was with 1 up front.

Our top scoring season of recent years we played one up front and got 83 points and ended up 2nd highest scorers.

So in short it can work, and we havent so far looked any more prolific with two up front.

That said Im happier to be playing 2 up front than one...

I've been his biggest critic but this is harsh. Bolger is still very young and will make mistakes. I remember a certain Luke Prosser being utterly terrible in his first season and he is now our best defender (why he has been dropped for a left back with no positional sense I cannot comprehend).

That said Bolger should be out of the team for a while. He needs to learn from his mistakes and be chomping at the bit to prove himself again.

In all fairness mate I do actually agree with you. Had a similar conversation with others about Bolger. Goes from doing something quality to making the biggest mistake of the game in the space of 30 seconds. He needs to build on that consistency. Maybe a loan out like Prosser had? I do feel next season he will be a much better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back