• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Probably just edged it. We didn't have many chances but we've been far more clinical in our last two games and it's made all the difference.

Pompey started well and deservedly took the lead after a short period of sustained pressure. Not a great goal to concede from our perspective - just a free kick from out wide which was headed in. Other than that, defensively we looked solid and committed at the back and Bentley played a big part in taking all three points.

Going forward we just seem to have a few more options, we commit more forward and 2 up top seems to work well. Both goals came from crosses (as did all three last week) but we're putting bodies in the box and getting reward. Leonard got enough on it to bundle the ball home and Piggott's managed to squirm through somehow - neither paticularly pretty finishes but decent build up and crosses into the box.

Corr's red was harsh, but he shouldn't have given the ref the opportunity to show him a second yellow.

Bentley 8

Coker 8
Thompson 7
Williams 7
White 7

Atkinson 6
Leonard 7
Timlin 7
Worrall 7

Piggott 8
Cassidy 6

Corr - 4
Weston - 6
Payne - 6

Important 3 points, though I feel that next week's performance and result are key. Away from home we've looked fine, if we can turn the home form around then we've got a chance at the autos.

Not a great game of football, pitch was awful. In the end on the balance of play we deserved the three points. Midfield worked their socks off, with Timlin easily the pick of them. Would be very disapointed if He is dropped for Deegan again. Willo and worked so hard and Worrell added the bit of class, his take down for the second goal brilliant. Defence a few shaky moments but held firm against an arial on slaught. Would still bring Barrett in when fit, need an experienced head in there. Both white and Coker defended well and supported going forward. The front two worked well without ever looking especially threatening until The Pig scored his goal. Love Corr but two stupid yellow cards.

Bentley - 7
Coker - 7
white - 7
thommo - 7
williams - 7
timlin - 8.5 mom
Worrell - 8
wilo - 7.5
lenny - 7.5
Cassidy - 7
The Pig - 7.5

Payne and Weston 7, Corr 5

fans 10, great support and backed the players even at 1 down

Cracking atmosphere and we deserved the win. They put us under pressure but we had the best chances. Worrall couldn't have come any closer in the first half and corr and timlin were v close in the second. Barring some frantic defending we looked comfortable. The key was work rate, especially in the midfield. There were no obvious weak links.

Bentley 8 made all the saves we now expect of him
White 7.5 one of his better performances going forward
Thompson 8 won countless headers and showed real leadership
Binnom-Williams 7.5 v committed and a nuisance in their box
Coker 7.5 not as threatening as last week but still several great crosses
Leonard 8 creative, composed and great at finding space
Atkinson 9 MoM was everywhere and at the centre of our best defensive and attacking play
Timlin 8.5 tenacious and back to his best
Worral 8.5 proper handful
Cassidy 7 loads better than last week but still a bit off the pace.
Pigott 8.5 great display. Would be great to get him long term

Subs
Corr 4
Payne 6
Weston 7.5

First away game of the season for me, and thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Thought we started well for the first 10 minutes, but then Pompy put us under some pressure, and went in front from some poor defending from a good set piece. I think getting back into it so quickly knocked the stuffing out of Portsmouth, some great work from Worrall, and good anticipation from Lenny, but poor defending from the home side.

Rest of the first half was fairly even, with both sides having one cleared off the line and probably 1-1 at half time was a fair result.

2nd half we came out like a train and dominated. Got a bit of luck for the goal, but again great work by Worrall. Last 15 minutes we came under pressure as Pompy went more direct, and some heroic defending, and a couple of good saves from Bentley we managed to see out the game fairly comfortably.

Bentley - 8 Two very good saves
White - 8 Defended well and also got forward
Coker - 8 Same as White
Thompson - 8.5 Growing as a player, won a lot of headers
B Williams - 8 A much better CB than LB
Atkinson 8 - Worked very hard, but still can lack an end product sometimes
Leonard 7.5 - Gave the ball away a few times, but battled hard
Timlin - 8 Took his chance well, and if he gets dropped next week, I would expect him to go mental.
Worrall - 9 MOM. Great workrate the same as the rest of the midfield, but assists for both goals
Piggott - Has hit the ground running, looks sharp, has good feet, not afraid to run at the defence. Need him until the end of the season
Cassidy - 7.5 Lots of running, but on fringes of the game really.

Corr 6 - Probably the softest 2 yellow cards I have ever seen
Weston - 7 Did really well when he came on, battled in defence, and offered an outlet also
Payne - 6.5 Not sure he touched the ball did he, but battled hard

Bentley 8....(MY MOTM) Made two match winning saves, after not having much to do
White 7...Solid
Coker 7.5..Classy
Thompson 7...Put in a big shift. Not the most subtle but cleared his lines
Binnom-Williams 7.5...Looks much better at CB. Always looked to play out of defence
Worrall 7.5...Always lively. Always a threat
Leonard 7...Still not at his best, but always puts in 100% effort
Timlin 8...Harried, hustled and kept things simple. One big error - one goalsaving tackle
Atkinson 7..Not at his best, but like Lenny, gave everything for the cause
Cassidy 7...Looks a good player. Strong and intelligent
Pigott 8...Top class. The quality striker we've been missing

Subs : Corr 5 A prat for getting sent off (could have been costly). 7 Weston Did well. Used his pace and used his brain at the end going into the corner. Payne 6.5 Not on long

Ok here goes... Firstly, 2 up top works much better!

only been home an hour, after dropping my Dad back home. Long day, tired, and it was so worth the trip!! Very pleased with another well deserved 3 points on the road.

Bentley 8 - for not having loads to do, then pulling two fantastic saves that should have gone in! Excellent performance again.
White 7.5 - safe, secure and solid as always.
Coker 8 - best left back we have had in a long time, solid defending and adds so much going forward.
Binnan-Williams 7.5 - played really well, strong in the air and won most things he went for. Couple of mistakes, made up for by him covering for others errors as well.
Thomson 7 - improving, and played well.
Timlin 8 - definately wants his space back! Awesome today.
Atkinson 8 - was everywhere, defended well, attacked well, good distribution.
lenny 7 - better than I have seen him for a while, saved the defence a couple of times and was more like the lenny from last season
Worrall -8.5 edged MOM today with his creativity. Caused them loads of problems.
Cassidy - 7.5 looks the real deal, strong, brave and linked well with midfield
Pigott - 8 well taken goal, a class act. What we have been missing.

Subs
weston 7 - great pace, which he used to great effect. One question though - Why the hell did he head off to the corner when he had a clear run onto goal, with their defence stranded and totally unable to get back..??
Payne - can't rate as not in long enough really.
Corr 6 - marked down for being a prize idiot! Wasn't sure whether the first booking was for the handball or something he said to the ref? As for the second... As soon as he went for the tackle, I just knew it was an early bath. Maybe he doesn't want his place back!

That's eight league wins away this season, which is incredible. If we can just get the home form going we can achieve the dream. I've been a big critic of Brown this season and will remain so if he ultimately fails to take this group of players up. And we are still four (call it 5 with goal diff) away from autos. But, I'm seeing signs of improvement in tactics and maybe we are starting to get a bit of the rub of the green.
Today was a true joy. End to end game, the right result, amazing support, and some stand out performances. This was my take on the players

Bentley. 8. Made saves which were important although most were at him. One down low to left in second half was genuinely impressive. Very important player now and miles better than Paul Smith
White. 9. Best game I have seen him play for us. Immense blocks, sublime timing in tackles and that ball he pinged sixty yards to Worralls feet.
Coker. 7. Did well, supported attacks well without really being as clinical today as recent games.
Thompson. 8. Was a leader out there and I've not generally been a big fan. Commanding, no-nonsense and rallied the troops. Coming of age perhaps
Binnom-Williams. 8. How can you drop him? Would have been a Nine but for some dithering at times that threatened to cost us. Immense defensive performance and leadership
Timlin. 8. Drove forward and attacked which made such a difference today. Must play all games Brown. Don't even think about dropping him
Leonard. 7. More like old self but still one of least influential players out there. Took goal well. We been missing far easier recently.
Worrall. 8. His touch is too good for this division. Can't wait to see second goal on TV. From the other end the way he cut back inside before crossing looked ridiculously good
Atkinson. 6. Worked hard and did ok. Preferable to Weston but still can't see why Clifford couldn't fill this role and offer us more attacking threat.
Cassidy. 6. Supported attack well but largely in defenders pocket. Unfit?
Pigott. 8. Proper frontman. Like him. Came up trumps again with bulging the onion sack

results went our way and it's really in our hands now.. Must beat York. But you kind of just know it will be 0-0.

Bentley 8- couple of top draw saves to keep us in the lead

White- 8 defended well body on the line also attacked with intent
Thompson- 7 won headers but a few sliced clearances
B-Williams- 7 looks a decent cb imo great tackle in the first half
Coker- 8 does his job so well again defended and attacked brilliantly

Worrall- 8 two assists and constantly worked hard
Leonard- 7 battled and work hard few off passes
Timlin- 7 I like him in the middle of the park breaks up play well
Atkinson-7 it's the workrate that does it for him everywhere the guy is a work horse

Cassidy- 7 again worked very hard and seems to be getting used to playing with Piggott couple more games and I think we will see something special.
Piggott- 9 MOM for me we have a striker willing to pick the ball up turn and run at the defenders also not afraid to have a go from distance.

Corr- 5
Weston-7
Payne-6 4

Great day out. Few beers beforehand. Brilliant away support (as always). Had to console a Pompey fan all the way back to London on the train! I think that even the Samaritans hung up on him!

Bentley - 8 Made some very important saves to keep us in front

White - 8 Good captains part. Defended as required and made forward sorties as well
Coker - 7.5 A favourite of mine but not quite as influential as he was at Oxford
Thompson - 8.5 Thought he was rock in the centre of the defence winning most headers.
B Williams - 8 Seems to be enjoying playing in the centre. Getting better imo.
Atkinson 7.5 - Not one of his best games, but worked his socks off
Leonard 7 - Managed to thigh the ball into the net. Don't know what ruffling his hair was all about though!
Timlin - 8 On this form cannot be dropped next week. Fantastic work rate
Worrall - 9 (MOM) Was the major creator of all things good. He is looking a very class act.
Piggott - 8 Is getting that lovely knack of putting the ball in the onion sack. Feed the pig some more please.
Cassidy - 7 Disappointed with him but it is early days.

Corr - 3 Why oh why oh why? The stupidest red card I have seen for ages. After one yellow you'd think he would realise.
Weston - 6.5 Despite others thinking he should have gone for goal when breaking through, it was important to eat up the seconds and run the clock down as we were under the cosh and hanging on.
Payne - 5 Made little impact except getting the biggest player on the pitch to attack him for a red card!

Back