• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium update please!

It was mentioned at a home game that maybe Ron could sell the roots hall land for a housing estate .How far fetched is that or is it at all realistic .

Half of it was planned to be a housing estate anyway so it cant be totally out of realms of possibility.

The question is whether you'd get planning for enough and whether the land is worth the same amount.

A property will only be worth its market value but the land would be worth more to a supermarket as it would generate income over the next 20 years.

When Lakeside started I know for a fact House of Fraser and M@S were paid somewhere in the region of 3 mill each to take prime units and a subsidised rent for years.

I still think the first part of what was the shopping area will be where the Dome will go./QUOTE

God forbid. Not an indoor market :omg:

Slightly edited Jam Man's post;

A property will only be worth its market value but the land would be worth more to a supermarket if it would generate profit over the next 20 years.

As I've said many times before, retail would be a risk on the new site, but Ikea would be ideal.

Now with operation SoccerDome, god knows what will happen!

As I've said many times before, retail would be a risk on the new site, but Ikea would be ideal.

Now with operation SoccerDome, god knows what will happen!

Don't worry. All will be revealed...

...in about 2025

I remember when the plan for a new stadium was first mentioned by Vic J, Scunthorpe hadn't yet moved into their 'new' ground at Glanford Park. Now they're making noises about having another new stadium built & we still havent got our first new one!

Oddly enough at that point (in the mid-80s) Roots Hall was the youngest ground in the Football League.

Having looked at this as a complete novice, it appears that the club are asking Southend Council to give an Environmental Impact Assessment EIA screening opinion before a planning application is made. As per the council website there is a time limit for the council to conclude its opinion in which time it has to consult with various agencies.

Also, Further Information shows a map which, I may be incorrect, shows different boundaries to the original plans??? Does this mean they are planning to put the super dome behind the fire station.

For those with greater knowledge, I invite your opinions.

According to Chris Philips there'll be a small update in the Echo tomorrow.

any info from the echo? couldn't see anything about the stadium online.

Basically, it says there's going to be homes, office space and a cinema complex in the re-designed plan. They're making a big thing about homes, saying they weren't in the original plans, but I thought I recalled homes in the form of flats.

I'll try and scan it in.....

Here you go, hope you can read it - do click on it though to enlarge!

SUFC.jpg

There were indeed three blocks of flats in the original plans with some, if I recall correctly having views of the pitch.

There were indeed three blocks of flats in the original plans with some, if I recall correctly having views of the pitch.

That's what I thought, and with some of them ear marked for those in St Mary's Court weren't they?

No one really knows what is going on because Mr. Martin does not tell us (as the fans) anything. All I can tell you is that he is currently gathering occupants for the proposed retail park, and he plans to build all 4 sides of the new stadium (not 3). The problem at the moment (it would seem) which is holding up proceedings is the whole redevelopment of Roots Hall now Lidl have bought prospects and thrown a spanner in the works. If Lidl decide to build a new store there (which they are entitled to do so, subject to planning approval), then the whole redevelopment plans would have to be redrawn and a new planning application submitted, and this will add even more time on to the project. There was a bit of positive news behind the scenes around a couple of months ago, but now Ron has caused some tension with Southend Council as a consequence of the retail park (in particular one of the proposed anchor stores) and another issue in which the council could/would not help him. The whole thing is very complicated and I cannot see where it will end (or start). One thing you can't deny is that Ron is doing everything he can to sort it out and drive the stadium plans forward, but even he will have his limitations.
Determination date today,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whats new?

Have they signed some sort of contract with Southend Council? Perhaps we might get details this week.................on the other hand maybe not :unsure:

Back