• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Since the 4-4 draw seventeen years ago (a match in which goals were so easy to come by, Dublin got 2 ), York's visits to Roots Hall have barely troubled the scorers. Seven games have produced just 6 goals: three 0-0s , three 1-0s and the comparative goal glut of our 2-1 win in the cut price match last season.

That match was rather poorly refereed by Darren Sheldrake.

Co-incidentally, Saturday's game sees the return of that very same Darren Sheldrake.

He is from Kingston in Surrey and is in his sixth year as a Football League referee.

That York match last year was an opportunity for him to atone for a woeful and inconsistent display earlier that season away at Wycombe when he cautioned Prosser and White and 3 home players in a match we could, and should, have won.

However that opportunity was spurned and his reputation sank even lower with a poor performance including a dismissal for Hurst and a caution for Kiernan along with a red and a couple of yellows for them.

His refereeing career has progressed quickly making the National List just 12 years after taking up the whistle at the age of 14. His progress has been steady without any suggestion of any great potential and he has been given a surprising number of Championship matches over the last couple of seasons, although none since September.

He has refereed Southend eight times before. Firstly the dull 0-0 at home to Exeter five seasons back (just the one caution for Scannell).

Then he refereed the home match against Lincoln which we won 1-0 the following season (cautions for Mohsni and Timlin and a couple of theirs). Then, in 2011/12, he was a late replacement for the JPT home defeat by Swindon when he cautioned Gilbert and 3 of theirs. Just before the Swindon match he did the East Thurrock/Macclesfield FA Cup tie when a bad error probably cost the non-league side the tie.

The fourth match was the season before last's very disappointing home defeat thanks to a very early and a very late goal from Aldershot. He cautioned just two of theirs. Then came the match which was probably his and our easiest of the lot - the Boxing day win at Dagenham with a solitary caution for one of theirs. Then our impressive 2-1 win at Port Vale when he cautioned 4 of theirs and Lund for us and finally that Wycombe match followed by the York one.

Not a referee I've got a lot of time for. He can be inconsistent and prone to over-reaction and also, at times, a bit quick with his cards, although his 18 matches thus far this season have produced only a slightly above average 59 yellows but a very high 8 reds (oh dear).

He last refereed York earlier this season for their win at Stevenage with a home player sent off.

Assistants are Chris O'Donnell from Leighton Buzzard and Lee Venamore from Maidstone and the Fourth Official is Dave Bushell from London.

Another great report Mick, where do you get all your information from? Or is your memory that good.

I rate his performance at Wycombe last season as one of the worst I've seen. He turned an easy to ref game into a difficult game because he could not get simple decisions right, didn't grasp advantage and was inconsistent. I don't think he is very good and I am surprised he has not been demoted.

I wonder if Mr Sheldrake could give my boy and I a lift there and back? I'm thinking we might have plenty to talk about on the journey home judging by his past performances.

Hmm, a wet pitch that cuts up? some sliding tackles, a few slips etc and it reads like this ref might be dishing the cards out in big numbers.

What's the betting we don't end up with 11 at the end? Or a normal Saturday as we call it!

Saw a stat earlier that we have spend 8.2% of league games with less than 11 men on the pitch. That is the 3rd highest in the Football League behind Watford and Fulham.

Saw a stat earlier that we have spend 8.2% of league games with less than 11 men on the pitch. That is the 3rd highest in the Football League behind Watford and Fulham.

Watford rather strengthened their position on that one with last night's 30 second red card. Surprised about Fulham.

Watford rather strengthened their position on that one with last night's 30 second red card. Surprised about Fulham.

They have 4 this season, including an 18th minute red against Watford.

Interestingly, the team in 4th is York and with your comment on the ref having a rather high red card count, we could see a red today.

B8rDQuCCEAA1Xcf.jpg:large

Ref did well. No complaints from me. I've seen those penalties not given but not not sure he had much option to be honest as defender did make contact with Piggott.

He was ok today, very moderate with his cards.

He did want to use his spray and one time it meant the wall could move nearer the kick spot!

He talked a lot to the players and seemed to know most of the names so he had done his homework.

The shoelace fiasco in the 1st half should have been dealt with quicker and firmer -how does not being able to tie a knot allow play to be held up for 2 minutes?

The lino on west side was flag happy in 2nd half and ref waved down a flag for o/s as the play had moved on several phases from the offside SO that merits a thumbs up for sense.

Thought he was poor, very inconsistent. The shoelace thing was a disgrace, and the telling off White got after the York player had hold of him around the middle was bang out of order.

He could very easily have given York a penalty soon after ours but didn't. 2 blatant handballs by the York players right in front of the ref went unpunished too.

Thought he was poor, very inconsistent. The shoelace thing was a disgrace, and the telling off White got after the York player had hold of him around the middle was bang out of order.

He wore long sleeves. LONG SLEEVES!!!!! I've never worn long sleeves in my career. I'd certainly NEVER wear long sleeves if my assistants are in short sleeves. Embarrassing...

On more technical points, his decision making was once again poor. Got a couple of easy things wrong. His fitness is questionable, you get found out in conditions like today and in my book he was too far away from play for long periods of the game and looked to be struggling the longer the game went on. Got the penalty right, even if it was as soft as ****.

Come on Kerry, what would you have done with the shoelace thing?

He should have told the player to take the kick & if he couldn't then tell him if it isn't taken inside a ten count it is time wasting and a yellow. It really isn't that difficult is it?

He wore long sleeves. LONG SLEEVES!!!!! I've never worn long sleeves in my career. I'd certainly NEVER wear long sleeves if my assistants are in short sleeves. Embarrassing...

On more technical points, his decision making was once again poor. Got a couple of easy things wrong. His fitness is questionable, you get found out in conditions like today and in my book he was too far away from play for long periods of the game and looked to be struggling the longer the game went on. Got the penalty right, even if it was as soft as ****.

Maybe he has a Col U tattoo on his forearm. Didn't think about that did you? :winking:

He could very easily have given York a penalty soon after ours but didn't. 2 blatant handballs by the York players right in front of the ref went unpunished too.

The problem with handball is the rule; in my opinion this is causing so much confusion and inconsistency, you only have to watch MOTD to see this. Personally I think they should scrap this 'is his arm in a natural position' rubbish and simplify it by saying if it hits the arm/hand it's handball, ok we'll see more freekick/penalties possibly given, but it least it will be consistent.

Unless anyone had any other ideas :smile:

BTW anyone else surprised their defender never got booked for the penalty - seem to think if he hadn't been on a booking, he would have done. In most situations like that defenders tend to get yellows

Back