Likes Likes:  99
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: West Stand Block W

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Jackson View Post
    I was possibly one of these "13 year olds" (17 years old) who turned to face our fans at one point today. What I was trying to do was to encourage some of those in the middle of the block that I could see not chanting. Sorry for trying to do my bit to improve the atmosphere. It seems as though no matter what anyone does, it will always be wrong. Criticised for not boosting to atmosphere, and also criticised when some of us do try to encourage the support. Shame that apparently anything we try to do is not right.
    By turning around standing on your chair shouting "F***ing sing!" Etc etc is not being encouraging.

First XI

Quote Originally Posted by Romford Shrimper View Post
    By turning around standing on your chair shouting "F***ing sing!" Etc etc is not being encouraging.
    At what point did i say that's what i was doing? I turned round mid chant and tried to make weird arm movements (don't know what to call what it was i was doing) and tried to chant even louder even though my throat was already hurting to try to encourage those i could see to get behind the team. I see absolutely nothing wrong with doing that, then again I'm probably just some 13 year old wannabe European ultra and most certainly not someone trying to improve the atmosphere that everyone seems to complain about on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Jackson View Post
    At what point did i say that's what i was doing? I turned round mid chant and tried to make weird arm movements (don't know what to call what it was i was doing) and tried to chant even louder even though my throat was already hurting to try to encourage those i could see to get behind the team. I see absolutely nothing wrong with doing that, then again I'm probably just some 13 year old wannabe European ultra and most certainly not someone trying to improve the atmosphere that everyone seems to complain about on here.
    Right you are

Quote Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
    How is everyone bunching up into one block going to improve the atmosphere? Why not have sections in each stand and then w block can play off the south and east contingent. You have groups in each stand singing then you will influence more around to sing. My first season as a season ticket holder in 99/00 the south upper used to have a great atmosphere and lots of singing and that was when the football was a million times worse than what it is at the moment. Now it seems if you sing you must move to w block or in the north when the club allow it.
    That wasn't the point I was trying to get across, I think it would be absolutely great if we could get every stand singing at Roots Hall but unfortunately that isn't going to happen unless some sort of group similar to TBV starts elsewhere in the stadium.

If the one person I was talking about starting singing in the south upper/ east stand or wherever he sits it would have absolutely no impact trust me, I had a season ticket in the east for 7 years and anyone trying to start any sort of song was usually greeted with strange looks. This is why I suggested he move to the W block if he felt it wasn't generating enough noise and cared that much because it is unlikely he would have any impact on atmosphere singing by himself in some other block.

Neverthless, I agree that bunching people into one block probably doesn't help the atmosphere and you are right that if you want to sing you have to move to the W block (or one of the blocks next to it) because if you want to sing and sit somewhere else you'll be doing it on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Romford Shrimper View Post
    Right you are
    You are an embarrassment if you ever went to a proper away game u would get turned over

Super Moderator
    (Was) Back home on the North Bank now back in W, again.

No, the person who was turning round, over my shoulder, and telling people to 'Sing, this is football, not a ****ing library' (copyright Jack the Flag) was me, the old, bearded, fat git, in the flat cap.

Have a look at the tag line below and then come and tell me why I can't try and stir up some passion when we need it.

12th man? Most of you ain't even men.
    First game under the Friday night lights at the Hall, 25/3/66 England Amateurs 3, Scotland Amateurs 3.

First ride on the Shrimpers rollercoaster, Friday, 8/4/66, Shrimpers 5, Gills 2 Eddie Firmani hat trick

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hogg View Post
    Probably did. But is is now seen as their song. It sounds awful...Palace or Shrimpers. Dire!
    Well it isn't their song, it was done on the Continent years before Palace adopted it. And I'm pretty sure some English clubs did it before them as well. It's not easy to come up with a new and effective chant which is why a large portion of clubs in the football league use it at the moment and whilst I agree that isn't great it's better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWestcliffShrimper View Post
    You are an embarrassment if you ever went to a proper away game u would get turned over
    Turned over? In what way and why?

Ilford exile, only minutes from Roots Hall' those great floodlights in sight.

When looking at ticket availability online, block W never comes up. Are they all taken up by season ticket holders?
    For the Cheltenham match I'll get a ticket as close as possible then tuck myself in there somewhere to keep warm.
    Hip flask should help with that (and the throat). I'm a loud one, gotta keep myself entertained when the players don't.
    Though it's only natural the crowd make more noise when winning, I'm one who believes the crowd shouldn't stop and wait to be entertained. In an ideal world of course!
    Fortune's always hiding

@IronMik33933744

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    When looking at ticket availability online, block W never comes up. Are they all taken up by season ticket holders?
    For the Cheltenham match I'll get a ticket as close as possible then tuck myself in there somewhere to keep warm.
    Hip flask should help with that (and the throat). I'm a loud one, gotta keep myself entertained when the players don't.
    Though it's only natural the crowd make more noise when winning, I'm one who believes the crowd shouldn't stop and wait to be entertained. In an ideal world of course!
    Don't step in w block u west ham mug

Wow. You really are a charmer. Isn't it passed your bed time little one?

Ilford exile, only minutes from Roots Hall' those great floodlights in sight.

Right that's me told....

Or is it? Your grammar suggests I shouldn't step in block U.
    I take it you attend Westborough and not Earls Hall then?
    Hope I'm right as I'd rather not be in fear at the gates when picking my kids up.

Anyway back on topic adults....
    Fortune's always hiding

@IronMik33933744

Right that's me told....

Hope I'm right as I'd rather not be in fear at the gates when picking my kids up.

Be afraid, be VERY afraid!

Some people should either put ideas forward and not criticise those who at least try to create an atmosphere, or just shut up.
    Whilst TBV are not perfect, nothing is, instead of gobbing off about how bad they are, try discussing improvements with them either in person, if you are bold enough, or via their website which actually has a comments section.

The location does not help,W block has **** acoustics, but at least they try and show passion, which IS appreciated by the players.

Get of your keyboards and do something positive for a change.
    Last edited by Ricey; 01-02-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Swear filter abuse

Right that's me told....

I do agree with you, Mike. But Westborough is a great school. My grandson who's just started Southend High went there as do all my other grand children.