• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think its more to do with the players. Cassidy and Pigott look like a good partnership and you can see they have played at a higher level.

Pretty much this.

Both goals came from balls into the box from the full-backs, which is what is needed if we are playing a diamond 4-4-2. If we can get Hurst back to his form of last season for the run in and Worrall on the opposite flank, we will have no excuse for not giving service to the front 2.

So one or two are now claiming that we've suddenly experienced an upturn in form due to the stubborn Brown "finally" getting, worse still, listening to what they've been clamouring for behind the keyboard for months. Obviously, we all know that player form, those pesky opposition teams, small print in contracts, random goalkeeping out-of-skin-manship, and the ability of our players to actually convert the damn chance when you've just got the keeper to beat are all infinitesimally small considerations compared to just sticking 4 in the middle, having 2 upfront and turning to Jason Williams but...

I'm curious...

We've got some great stattos on here. Is this whole 451, 442 claim a myth or reality?

Strikes me we've been there or thereabouts all season; the only difference has been finally securing the services of someone who knows how to stick it in the net (which is far easier on Football Manager than in real life)!

A little bit if luck and / or someone sticking the chances away can go a lOng way. Compare the Daggers game with York. Playing 451/433 we cOntrolled the midfield, controlled possession and whilst not being much of a threat their goalie made some stunning saves. Against York, a team at a similar level, we got the win playing 442 but we were absolutely dire, often outplayed and lucky.

Rubbish sometimes I go in a private box. Couldn't possibly lower ones self to sit in the cheap seats and get stuck between you and rab

mrsblue is an anagram of rumbles and she rumbles on and on but on occasion she has a point. Perhaps you could attend to the odd point instead of being so dismissive. I know the team are riding high and finally finding the net on a more regular basis but that openly papers over the problems.

SBH's original post was about providing some useful stats, maybe we could keep this thread to discussing those and any facts/trends that emerge? People claiming credit for our improvement probably have a place on SZ, but not in this particular thread, at least until we have some detail to discuss.

I normally only reply to people who have at least half an idea about football so PLEASE not another thread of Mrs Blue's utter rubbish.[/QUOTE

Well try denying what mrsblue said. PB royally screwed up our early season chances with his disastrous signings for the forward berths. Even now, in fourth spot, with two people up front making the chances count, the game changes instantly with PB's substitutions. Thank god for Pigott who may well turn out to be Browns Freddy

Really? We have rarely been out of the the play off spots all season! Using words like screwed up and disastrous when we have competed all season is ridiculous IMO. My take is Phil was always on course for the play offs and recent tweeks have given us a shot at autos. The guy is doing a good job

Phil has been excellent in the defence department no question ,yes he has done very well getting Piggy .

Many on here were disturbed by the teams performances at home,there is after all only one man in the entire world who had the power to change the style of play.

Which he did as soon as he had the players available.

Well done him.

Thanks. I have to say I think the forecast based on season form looks more likely than the forecast based on the last 6 games ...

Yep I agree, I don't think the forecasts really add much (I've been thinking about doing something more involved, but haven't really got time!).

We have played 4 4 2 plenty of times earier in the season and no joy. A few things have turned us into title contenders.
Timlin has started bossing things in midfield last night he was unplayable in that first half.
Piggot. ..He sticks the ball in the net and to be honest that was our issue all along.
This is a weird one...cassidy, I don't really think he is that good but it seems to be working with him and piggy the one thing I've noted is that he does make clever runs/moves that give piggy space to operate in.

We have played 4 4 2 plenty of times earier in the season and no joy. A few things have turned us into title contenders.
Timlin has started bossing things in midfield last night he was unplayable in that first half.
Piggot. ..He sticks the ball in the net and to be honest that was our issue all along.
This is a weird one...cassidy, I don't really think he is that good but it seems to be working with him and piggy the one thing I've noted is that he does make clever runs/moves that give piggy space to operate in.

They seem to be a pair, in the same way as Angell and Benjamin. Benjamin did all the grunt work, Angell scored the goals and took all the plaudits.

Phil has been excellent in the defence department no question ,yes he has done very well getting Piggy .

Many on here were disturbed by the teams performances at home,there is after all only one man in the entire world who had the power to change the style of play.

If you check the shots stats, we havent increased.

Perception is a wonderful thing. A couple of those shots go in because a better striker is converting them, and some see that we are now playing totally differently.

York, 442, one of the worst performances of the season, one you left early in and then raised multiple threads of your disgust.

Southend vs Cheltenham
9 shots, 6 on target : 2:0

Southend vs Dagenham (with 10 men!)
14 shots, 8 on target : 0:0

So playing 442 with 11 men we created less chances than 451 with 10 men, difference being Pigott kicked the ball past the keeper, not at him.

Not as simple as people want to believe in my book

That said I do think its the best platform for us going forwards.

Strikes me we've been there or thereabouts all season; the only difference has been finally securing the services of someone who knows how to stick it in the net (which is far easier on Football Manager than in real life)!

This is the biggest difference for me. We were playing well enough and creating plenty of chances but we didn't have someone who could finish.

This is the biggest difference for me. We were playing well enough and creating plenty of chances but we didn't have someone who could finish.

Indeed, the Daggers game I mention above is a perfect example. We created two or three clear cut chances (FM talk) yet finished none of them.

Put a player who can actually put it in the net at the end of those chances and we would have won easily.

Put us at 442 at the beginning of the season with Weston instead of Pigott and lets see how cut and dry it is then.

Indeed, the Daggers game I mention above is a perfect example. We created two or three clear cut chances (FM talk) yet finished none of them.

Put a player who can actually put it in the net at the end of those chances and we would have won easily.

Put us at 442 at the beginning of the season with Weston instead of Pigott and lets see how cut and dry it is then.

Its not about formations. It is about people who can score and that is the difference we have now. For all this 4-4-2 jabber, Cassidy plays wide for the majority and when switched to he middle its in a trade with Pigott. So in effect its still 4-5-1 but as we have two recognised strikers on the pitch everyone calls it 4-4-2.

We needed firepower. We got firepower. That is the game changer.

We played 442 v Exeter with Barry and Barney [not a comedy act] . Far to many long balls that missed Corr and left LB struggling to get into the game, was subbed and hasn't been seen since.

One week previous v Exeter... LB upfront on his own, better football into feet, more chances etc. Remember this was the game that launched Worrall's season. His goal came from drifting into the far post area whilst the other wide man crossed. would not have scored that one with a 442 set up. As jam man has pointed out don't judge a system because of miss in front of goal. Barney's miss v Exeter or Westons penalty at Newport had nothing to do with formations

Its not about formations. It is about people who can score and that is the difference we have now. For all this 4-4-2 jabber, Cassidy plays wide for the majority and when switched to he middle its in a trade with Pigott. So in effect its still 4-5-1 but as we have two recognised strikers on the pitch everyone calls it 4-4-2.

We needed firepower. We got firepower. That is the game changer.

Indeed, just needed a spark, which Ive been saying all along. Pigott has been that spark, not the formation.

A couple of goals go in and some thing everything has changed.

Back