• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Well that is not a great result. :'( We should be beating teams like this at home.

Over to you people for your Thoughts and Ratings.

Shockingly wasted opportunity. Could have been in third place tonight with Wycombe losing. As it is, we no longer look automatic promotion material. It's only one game, but we should have beaten Accrington bloomin' Stanley.

Luton's game in hand could put us further adrift of the autos, plus our safety net in the play-offs has been cut to 5 points.

Southend United 1, Accrington Stanley 2

SOUTHEND United’s unbeaten run came to end with a shock 2-1 defeat to Accrington Stanley at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Wasted opportunity yes, dent to auto hopes yes, but frankly if we can't sink dross like Accrington Stanley at home then we don't deserve automatic promotion. I get the whole idea of not changing a winning team and everything but nothing on Tuesday night made us look like world beaters. Cheltenham were poor technically and mentally and Accrington were always going to be a different proposition. We know from experience what tinpot no mark sides like Accrington and Morecambe come to try and do at Roots Hall and today was Brown's chance to dispel calls of naiveity and be cuter with his set up and starting team. As it was, the team and mentality that he should have started with (Hurst and Worrall on the wings and us playing a very high tempo game) didn't materialise until the last 15-20 mins, by which time it was too late. Very poor and very flat, and even after such an excellent last month or so, it's idiotic performances and stupid points dropped at home when we should be claiming all 3 which will probably undo us again this season. The way we build up hopes and then pop the balloon like that is so so sickening.

Wasted opportunity yes, dent to auto hopes yes, but frankly if we can't sink dross like Accrington Stanley at home then we don't deserve automatic promotion. I get the whole idea of not changing a winning team and everything but nothing on Tuesday night made us look like world beaters. Cheltenham were poor technically and mentally and Accrington were always going to be a different proposition. We know from experience what tinpot no mark sides like Accrington and Morecambe come to try and do at Roots Hall and today was Brown's chance to dispel calls of naiveity and be cuter with his set up and starting team. As it was, the team and mentality that he should have started with (Hurst and Worrall on the wings and us playing a very high tempo game) didn't materialise until the last 15-20 mins, by which time it was too late. Very poor and very flat, and even after such an excellent last month or so, it's idiotic performances and stupid points dropped at home when we should be claiming all 3 which will probably undo us again this season. The way we build up hopes and then pop the balloon like that is so so sickening.
Same old, same old, so disappointed for Ted Smith to play behind that lot. :sad:

Absolutely woeful performance:

Smith 6- Nothing to do, goals weren't his fault
White 4- Awful, all he could do was aimlessly hoof the ball to no one and struggled defensively.
Thompson 5- Poor
Williams 4- Poor, kept giving the ball away
Coker 6- Decent performance
Leoanrd 3- Grabbed an assist for their 1st goal and couldn't pass to save his life.
Atkinson 2- Absolutely awful, should have been brought off at half time.
Timlin 4- Completes the trio of rubbish midfield performances.
Payne 6- Did well but struggled to make an impact against their parked bus.
Pigott 5- Missed an easy opportunity to score and did little else.
Cassidy 4- Did nothing yet again.

Corr 7 - Nice goal and the only player who looked like scoring a 2nd.
Hurst 5- Pointless sub, should of stuck Shaq on.
Worrall 6- Tried to make something happen and was ok.

We don't know what to do when we play against a team that parks the bus and that simply isn't good enough. No width, no creativity, awful defensive performance, chances wasted. As for Accrington's blatant time wasting at 0-0 what's the point? Boring club which highlight why we need to get out of this dreadful division.

So much for 442 making goals flow, they flowed alright I guess, just the wrong way.

Shame Pigott hit the bar first half, that goes in and its a different game, other than that a frustrating affair. Do like the look of the front two though but what stuck out to me was total lack of width and just asks the same question, how we play Payne and still play a balanced system.

Pointless playing 2 up front if you arent giving them enough service and there is only so much Coker and White can do out wide. Although ironically the goal came from Payne in a wider position (and a fantastic cross too)

We have 4 great crossers in hurst, Worrall, Coker and White. And a group of strikers who are good in the air. It's time to go back to basics I think.

Sorry to sound like I'm stating this just after we finally concede at home , but I've read post after post on here in recent weeks about how good JBW is at CB.
I'm sorry but I know we've been winning games , but IMO he is a liability and an accident waiting to happen.
After his shocking start I decided to focus in his stats.
in the first half he made 8 passes ( not including clearances under pressure ).
7 out of those 8 went to the opposition - quite shocking.
Thompson I hope and think will develop into a decent CB , but he simply tries to win 'every' ball , when that really isn't possible.
I like him but he really needs to make better decisions.
Not sure if Barratt was injured or just left out but IMO , he and Prosser would make a more solid pairing than the current two.
As I say , given our recent record that may sound harsh but I believe it to be true.

I also like Brown but sometimes I think the loyalty goes too far and Lenny seems undropable for some reason.

First half MOM by a mile was Cassidy yet he takes him off ?
I know Pigott has been scoring but please Brown judge each game on its own merits.

Smith had a good debut IMO , vocal and decisive.

Bad day at the office but we move on.

So much for 442 making goals flow, they flowed alright I guess, just the wrong way.

Shame Pigott hit the bar first half, that goes in and its a different game, other than that a frustrating affair. Do like the look of the front two though but what stuck out to me was total lack of width and just asks the same question, how we play Payne and still play a balanced system.

Pointless playing 2 up front if you arent giving them enough service and there is only so much Coker and White can do out wide. Although ironically the goal came from Payne in a wider position (and a fantastic cross too)

Cassidy came off cleaner than went he went on!

Sorry to sound like I'm stating this just after we finally concede at home , but I've read post after post on here in recent weeks about how good JBW is at CB.
I'm sorry but I know we've been winning games , but IMO he is a liability and an accident waiting to happen.
After his shocking start I decided to focus in his stats.
in the first half he made 8 passes ( not including clearances under pressure ).
7 out of those 8 went to the opposition - quite shocking.
Thompson I hope and think will develop into a decent CB , but he simply tries to win 'every' ball , when that really isn't possible.
I like him but he really needs to make better decisions.
Not sure if Barratt was injured or just left out but IMO , he and Prosser would make a more solid pairing than the current two.
As I say , given our recent record that may sound harsh but I believe it to be true.

I also like Brown but sometimes I think the loyalty goes too far and Lenny seems undropable for some reason.

First half MOM by a mile was Cassidy yet he takes him off ?
I know Pigott has been scoring but please Brown judge each game on its own merits.

Smith had a good debut IMO , vocal and decisive.

Bad day at the office but we move on.

Agree about JBW, he was indeed a liability, but I thought Pigott had a decent game today right to the end and not sure why Cassidy was your MoM, although he did play well..

As for Lenny, who is the better option if he doesnt play?

Cassidy came off cleaner than went he went on!

Thats how you judge players ?

Payne is a bit of a luxury I feel, one that we can't really afford if we want to make the most of having 2 up front. I don't relly want to see him dropped but a difficult decision needs to be taken. We need 4-4-2 and 2 out-and-out wide men

We can't win can we,should have two strikers at home well that really works don't it So what's the next excuse then.
Playoffs again this year I think the next four or five. Games could easily end in defeat

Payne is a bit of a luxury I feel, one that we can't really afford if we want to make the most of having 2 up front. I don't relly want to see him dropped but a difficult decision needs to be taken. We need 4-4-2 and 2 out-and-out wide men

Thing is he shows moments of real quality, but the side as it is set up has no balance whatsoever, I dont see how he fits in, but its a waste not to use him because he clearly has talent.

We can't win can we,should have two strikers at home well that really works don't it So what's the next excuse then.
Playoffs again this year I think the next four or five. Games could easily end in defeat

Indeed 442 is not a miracle cure. Sadly football isnt as simple as that.

Currently consoling. Yslef with a bottle of Jack Daniels,.... Very disapointing after the good run

typical Southend, proper mess up !

Hope Yslef feels better, always good to see our Eastern European fans getting to games.

Smith 6- Feel sorry for the lad having to play behind Thompson and Williams today. They did him no favours whatsoever
White 4- Just hoofed all day, very poor
Thompson 5- Poor
Williams 4- Poor, couldn't pass the ball to a blues player
Coker 6- Best of a bad back four
Leonard 5- Still off form
Atkinson 6- Worked hard, was everywhere
Timlin -7 Provided all the drive
Payne 7- Tried to make things happen. Got an assist
Pigott 7- Strong on and off the ball, unlucky not to score
Cassidy 5- Strong and a few good flicks

Corr -7 Made a difference
Worrall -6 Lively but just not strong enough
Hurst -6 Seems to be playing too deep when he came on

Ref- 4 Extremely weak and got a lot of decisions wrong.

Brown should really have started with Worrall and Hurst. We were too narrow today

Back