• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Most Important Southend United Goal

• Total voters

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers 🍤 ⭐
During my time of supporting Southend United, I have witnessed some crucial goals for this Club.

The likes of Duncan Jupp at the Millenium Stadium, Freddy Eastwood vs Man United, Wayne Gray vs Bristol City, Ben Reeves vs Leyton Orient, Peter Clarke vs Chelsea. Also, there have been some huge goals that are before my time like Ian Benjamin vs Bury, Brett Angell vs West Ham.

From your time watching the mighty Shrimpers, what have been the most important goal in our history?

For me, it has to be Duncan Jupp's at the Millenium Stadium. After being down in the doldrums for so long, and with us clinging onto Freddy Eastwood's opener, we needed a second goal to get us over the line and up popped Duncan Jupp to seal the win and our promotion into League One.

This was just a magical goal for so many different reasons, and I don't think I've celebrated a goal as much as this one.

Over to you....

Promotions and relegations come and go. Freddy Eastwood's goal will never be forgotten IMO.

THAT goal at Bury. Folklore. If you were there you'll never forget it. Got us promoted to the Championship for the first time.

Gotta be Ian Benjamin for me. Didn't follow the Blues that far back but have read up a lot on the history of the club and that wins my vote. Couldn't say any cup goals were as important as such a vital league goal, as the old saying goes... the league is the bread and butter. Hadn't we already won promotion before the Bristol City game in League One? Winning the title was nice but promotion was the important matter (was sweet to pip Col. U to the title though :winking:).

Wayne Gray. Still a bit gutted we didn't do a bit more to keep him going into the Championship

Best goal for actually being there has got to be Peter Clarke vs Chelsea. Best goal in my time for not being there has got to be Freddy vs Man U. Best goal of all time, it just HAS to be Benji vs Bury.

Gotta be Wayne Gray. Yes promotions are important, but we have only won two things in 109 years, so actually winning the league has to be the best.

Maybe, Andy Polycarpou vs Watford because it set up the tie against Liverpool

or Brett against Luton as it secured our place in the 2nd tier and we stayed for another 4 seasons

Bit too young to remember Ian Benjamin's goal so went for Juppy against Lincoln.

That was the moment we knew we were going up after so many years of hurt and fighting at the wrong end of the table. Remember trying my hardest not to burst into tears when Jupp stuck that one in. Such a brilliant weekend and one I'll remember for a very long time!

To see the Bury goal, go to You Tube and search for 'Southend Uniteds greatest moments to the sounds of Alison Moyets Blue'. The goal is about 20 seconds in. Watch our supporters go mental! :happy:

THAT goal at Bury. Folklore. If you were there you'll never forget it. Got us promoted to the Championship for the first time.
Absolutely this without a shadow of doubt. Got free tickets through a Bury contact I worked with so three of us sat in their main stand near the halfway line surrounded by Dr. Who's. So easy to get on the pitch afterwards and celebrate with the players. Tops everything !!!

I loved the Peter Clarkes goal, just for the sheer euphoria that followed. The most important I would say is Freddys goal in the Play off final. If we hadnt been one up, I doubt Juppys would have ever happened. Lincoln were pushing up desperate to equalise.

Huge disappointments of the late sixties in not getting promotion to the third division (and knowing that if we had we would have gone straight through the third, or so popular mythology had it). This was followed by the anti-climax when promotion was finally achieved and created a general feeling that we wouldn't ever reach the second level of football.

Even before the Bury match there was a big worry that we could still c*ck it up, therefore it had to be Benjamin's goal for me which completed what seemed an unachievable dream and took us to the second tier for six years and raised our profile for ever.

All the selected goals were amazingly important in the clubs history for one reason or another with the Bury goal shading it, but lets not forget the two goals scored by David Crown the season before which secured us automatic promotion from div two at Peterbrough. The longest 45 minutes I've ever had to endured as Peterborgh who were chasing playoff place themselves, put us under incredible pressure to equalize. If we hadn't hung on and got out of that division then I seriously think we wouldn't have stood a chance in the playoffs as we were a side not in the best of form while others in the playoff position were gathering their momentum. So either of David Crown's for me.... without which we wouldn't have even got to Bury the following season.

Best goal for actually being there has got to be Peter Clarke vs Chelsea. Best goal in my time for not being there has got to be Freddy vs Man U. Best goal of all time, it just HAS to be Benji vs Bury.

I pretty much was going to say the same word for word

What the fuk was Jupp doing anywhere near the goal?

Think for me it's Eastwood Vs UTD as no matter what league we are in...we are 100% vs Rooney/Ronaldo and co.

Back