• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I thought Barrett and Bolger dealt with everything in the air but had difficultly when ran at on the ground. The pitch was crying out for a player with low center of gravity who could just run at the defense and make them turn, in that respect I was disappointed Payne wasn't introduced. Don' think Casidy will ever score although he created his chance well enough. Leonard... omg ..no way a creative midfielder his mistake changed the game. For me its playoffs at best now and another season in this awful div and get rid of the dead wood in the summer. Some of our players desperately need a challenge elsewhere to kick start their careers. Leonard, Hurst and Corr to name a few. Sign Pigott whatever it takes as his as close to a 20 goal a season man we've seen in a long while.
Agree with every word:smile:

All in all not a great day. My mate Del fell over just outside the ground, cut his face up badly and had blood everywhere. I must praise the St Johns guys and Stevenage stewards who were really helpful and attentive.
Thought our penalty looked a bit soft at the time, but watching it back on TV it looked like their bloke went through Worrall without touching the ball, but you just knew that the totally inept ref would even it up and lo and behold they got their soft penalty, I thought Leonard waved a foot out but seemed to withdraw it before their player tumbled. I was in seat 7 and the ball was definitely out of play before whatever goal it was (think it was 3rd).
I also cant see how people are moaning about Barrett, because through my rose tinted glasses he was one of the few to have a good game, he hardly put a foot wrong in my opinion.
Last grumble of the day, how loud was that PA system, couldn't hear my self think, let alone talk! Was it like that all the way along the stand? Do they do that to stop the away supporters building up an atmosphere? We had to go and stand by the tea bar at half time just to be able to hear each other moan about the referee, the pitch, the weather and the state of the Greek economy!!!

I do think we will finish in the play-offs but Browns tactical skills make it highly unlikely we could beat 2 decent teams.Though one down at ht I felt the game was very winnable but when 2-1 up it was always likely we needed at least one more goal but of course we were happy to surrender the initiative.Then the substitutions were poor.Quite a few players performed indifferently :-
Bentley. 4 1/2
White. 5. 1/2
Bolger. 6
Barrett. 6
Coker. 5
Worrall. 7
Leonard. 5. 1/2
Deegan. 7. 1/2
Timlin. 5. 1/2
Pigott. 6
Corr. 6
subs.....Cassidy 5,Hurst 4 1/2, and Coulthirst.
The referee made a number of hopelessly wrong decisions,the most obvious being our penalty.

All in all not a great day. My mate Del fell over just outside the ground, cut his face up badly and had blood everywhere. I must praise the St Johns guys and Stevenage stewards who were really helpful and attentive.
Thought our penalty looked a bit soft at the time, but watching it back on TV it looked like their bloke went through Worrall without touching the ball, but you just knew that the totally inept ref would even it up and lo and behold they got their soft penalty, I thought Leonard waved a foot out but seemed to withdraw it before their player tumbled. I was in seat 7 and the ball was definitely out of play before whatever goal it was (think it was 3rd).
I also cant see how people are moaning about Barrett, because through my rose tinted glasses he was one of the few to have a good game, he hardly put a foot wrong in my opinion.
Last grumble of the day, how loud was that PA system, couldn't hear my self think, let alone talk! Was it like that all the way along the stand? Do they do that to stop the away supporters building up an atmosphere? We had to go and stand by the tea bar at half time just to be able to hear each other moan about the referee, the pitch, the weather and the state of the Greek economy!!!

Did he have a swab over his nose inside the ground? If so, looked nasty. Hope he feels better soon

I saw someone with a nose swab in our end yesterday and wondered what had happened because it looked nasty - hoped no one had punched him! Wish him well please x

My friend, the second was Leonard making a hash of it in midfield, charging back to make amends, and doing something that made me immediately say "penalty" (I don't know if it was, or if it wasn't). Bolger NO WAY played with the assurance of Thompson. Both Thompson and Prosser don't win man of the match awards (Barrett would), but very rarely do they do something that draws themselves to the spectator's attention. I value them for that. I've also just summarised John White.

It was a stonewall penalty...BUT...in Leonards defence he was running back to cover the left back position as Coker was lying near the halfway line trying to get the game stopped by pretending to be injured after losing a header....something that fecks me off something chronic..that left us short at the back and Leonard had to bomb back and cover (something that he has been doing exceptionally well recently despite a lot of criticism)

Because there is some weird love-in for the guy. Apparently he can do no wrong. He doesn't need all this love as he loves himself enough. The fact he takes his position last and exits the pitch last so he can get his own separate ovation should tell you everything about this self-obsessed man.

By the way, he is a good goal keeper. He's just self obsessed and selfish.

Wouldn't blame Bentley today...blame the manager, he clearly wasn't fully fit therefore shouldn't have played. I think a fully fit Bentley probably saves goal 1 and 3.

We didn't play badly yesterday, it was just one of those days. But the worry is we have now lost in consecutive weeks to pretty poor teams.

It was a stonewall penalty...BUT...in Leonards defence he was running back to cover the left back position as Coker was lying near the halfway line trying to get the game stopped by pretending to be injured after losing a header....something that fecks me off something chronic..that left us short at the back and Leonard had to bomb back and cover (something that he has been doing exceptionally well recently despite a lot of criticism)

Wouldn't blame Bentley today...blame the manager, he clearly wasn't fully fit therefore shouldn't have played. I think a fully fit Bentley probably saves goal 1 and 3.

We didn't play badly yesterday, it was just one of those days. But the worry is we have now lost in consecutive weeks to pretty poor teams.

And with Carlisle at home next week, what could possibly go wrong? :omg:

shuffle,shuffle,schffle.....didn't work
shuffle,shuffle,shuffle......didn't work
shuffle,shuffle.shuffle.........didn't work

answers on a postcard please to Mr Tango Man

Thought Barrett was immense & rolled back the years. Pigott's finish was class, but poor Cassidy if he had put that open goal away? However what let us down was:

1 subs. They made changes before we did and picked it up where we were tiring. Brown waits until we concede to make changes . Not sure why Timlin went off?
2. At 2-1 we have to kill the game off, this is what good teams do and we can't do. Can we recall being 1 up then 2-1 down and going on to win 4-2?

3 Leonard. No doubt he will be 1st name on team sheet next week, but this must rankle with other players Brown drops.
thats it for now finally edging out the car park!

Open goal?! You mean the one where the keeper rushed out and got down low to save the shot, and there was a defender on the line? Strange open goal that....

As for Timlin, I think he took him off as he was on a yellow and we needed someone on who could still get stuck in. Thought Timlin played well, but I understood why he took him off.

Biggest mistake was playing Corr. Good penalty but nothing else. Pigott is class and should have Cassidy alongside to develop a partnership that could blast us into the automatic promotion places.
So disappointed at Stevenage when team was announced. :sad:

A very disappointing result. However, we were the better side for most of the game, on a woeful pitch with inept officials.

Their 2nd goal was frustrating, but their 3rd was a joke, should have been a throw in their corner, and that changed the game then.

My biggest annoyance though, is PB making us look Sunday league by having a defender taking goal kicks because the keeper can't. Bentley clearly wasn't fit and shouldn't have played. I hope that doesn't make his injury worse.

I think those blaming Barrett and Bolger are harsh;
2nd goal was Coker/Leonard's fault
3rd was the refs
4th we were going kitchin sink for an equaliser

Next weekend is now a must win.

Biggest mistake was playing Corr. Good penalty but nothing else. Pigott is class and should have Cassidy alongside to develop a partnership that could blast us into the automatic promotion places.
So disappointed at Stevenage when team was announced. :sad:

Cassidy did miss a sitter though didnt he, and he played with Pigott when we lost to Accrington (when it was Corr who got the only goal).

I have no complaints about the team, it was the team I thought we should play, other than Bolger, and thought Corr would be the right man for the game and conditions seeing as it was a terrible pitch and Stevenage are renowned for being Physical. I quite like Cassidy but he had a great chance to put us in the lead and didnt.

I've only just got around to watching the highlights and I'm only going to talk about the positives.

What a finish that was from Pigott. Just held back a yard and let their defender go, a very difficult finish when so many others would have lashed it over the bar. Very composed for a young lad on a rugby pitch.

Great play from Worrall as well to get the cross in.

Leonard is a very useful player but surely needs to be dropped for a couple of weeks. His speed, height and calmness on the ball are all still there but he's playing at about 60%, typified but the lazy naive challenge in the area for their penalty. He's young and I think he just needs a rest, it's not like we don't have tons of central midfielders.

I think Brown gambled a bit wit the selection in other areas of the team. Barrett & Bolger did well at set pieces but the whole back 4 looked slack when facing their own goal. Bentley shouldn't have played. Whilst Corr's link up play was again excellent, most of the time the most dangerous we looked was playing ball over the top to Pigott.

The pitch was awful, the away ticket policy was awful, the stewarding was jobsworthy. All in all a rather terrible day out.

Open goal?! You mean the one where the keeper rushed out and got down low to save the shot, and there was a defender on the line? Strange open goal that....

.... PLUS, the handful of supporters laying into Cassidy for missing an "open goal" fail to mention - and possibly didn't notice - that it was Cassidy himself who made the opportunity, with the most exquisite turn that beat one -or was it two?- defenders. We all like to see a bulging net, but sometimes you see a touch of skill that's worth the gate money on its own.

.... PLUS, the handful of supporters laying into Cassidy for missing an "open goal" fail to mention - and possibly didn't notice - that it was Cassidy himself who made the opportunity, with the most exquisite turn that beat one -or was it two?- defenders. We all like to see a bulging net, but sometimes you see a touch of skill that's worth the gate money on its own.

Agreed - that touch was class.

Cassidy did miss a sitter though didnt he, and he played with Pigott when we lost to Accrington (when it was Corr who got the only goal).

I have no complaints about the team, it was the team I thought we should play, other than Bolger, and thought Corr would be the right man for the game and conditions seeing as it was a terrible pitch and Stevenage are renowned for being Physical. I quite like Cassidy but he had a great chance to put us in the lead and didnt.

Conditions? Young kennedy came on and tore us a new one. He is not big, he is fast. Cassidy missed one ok but he has not scored in other games but has been a great foil to Pigott. As for Corr taking the penalty i hope he is head and shoulders the best taker because if I were Pigott I would have expected the ball in that situation.

PB has just done his usual and made wholesale changes where a tweak would have done. It has never worked for him and I'm afraid he for me is the only person that thinks he has nous.

Conditions? Young kennedy came on and tore us a new one. He is not big, he is fast. Cassidy missed one ok but he has not scored in other games but has been a great foil to Pigott. As for Corr taking the penalty i hope he is head and shoulders the best taker because if I were Pigott I would have expected the ball in that situation.

PB has just done his usual and made wholesale changes where a tweak would have done.
It has never worked for him and I'm afraid he for me is the only person that thinks he has nous.

Stevenage are known for being a strong physical side, thats where Deegan and Corr are better suited and why I said I thought they would both play. Kennedy may have done well, but he didnt have to play against Stevenage.

Brown cant win can he.

We were woeful against Stanley at home, we then have to go and play on a poor pitch against a physical side. Im not sure just tweaking was enough. Defensively we were terrible in that game.

After the echo story when he said he would make changes the response was, so its unchanged then. So he gets criticised for making not enough changes and criticised for making too many.

I thought the team he put out was was the right one personally, other than Bolger, its easy to say it wasnt with hindsight.

As for penalties, Corr is obviously the designated penalty taker, he scored his last couple and scored this one, so why criticise that ?! If he missed it then I could understand raising it, Pigott might not even like taking them.

Back