• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I completely agree. We have conceded 4 goals to a very poor side because PB is more concerned by their supposed strengths rather than ours. We had the 7th best defensive record in the FL and yet he changes the 2 CB's. Absolutely clueless! Time for him to admit he has no nous. Absolute joke.

I completely agree. We have conceded 4 goals to a very poor side because PB is more concerned by their supposed strengths rather than ours. We had the 7th best defensive record in the FL and yet he changes the 2 CB's. Absolutely clueless! Time for him to admit he has no nous. Absolute joke.

Most zoners wanted at least 1 if not 2 changes at CB. like I have said on another thread we conceded by attacking, their 95 min fourth goal was on the break when we had Shaq on for Deegan and obviously we were gambling to get a point.

Half time Stevenage led 1-0 from a cross that crept in at the far post after their player misses a header at the near. Corr had missed a one on one and a free header from a corner, that's wright should have scored from a corner and I had a good view from their main stand of a definite pen on Corr [ two handed shirt pull].

Second half 2-1 up [wait till you see Pigott's goal] and Lenny concedes a break away penalty. Some say ball was clearly out on the far side, deep in their half for the third. I could hear our fans all shouting from where I was.

We didn't play that bad and it was never a 4-2 game. If anyone in the back four has to be blamed, as we all love to do, then it has to be the can do no wrong Coker not Bolger or Barrett.

He bought in the two CB who weren't even in the squad a week ago?! Barrett and Thompson imo, thomo hasnt exactly played so badly he's dropped from the squad!

Thing is, JBW was included because of his versatility, but Prosser can play LB or CB, I really don't buy that. The defence last weekend had been a constant over a good period defensively. A number of them looked a little nervy with the youngster in goal, not sure it needed both CBs to be dropped. If Brown wanted the change, then it should have been Barrett and Prosser both much more experienced than Bolger. I have nothing against Bolger, in fact, I have defended him often on here, however, I didn't think that was the right game for him yesterday.

Thing is, JBW was included because of his versatility, but Prosser can play LB or CB, I really don't buy that. The defence last weekend had been a constant over a good period defensively. A number of them looked a little nervy with the youngster in goal, not sure it needed both CBs to be dropped. If Brown wanted the change, then it should have been Barrett and Prosser both much more experienced than Bolger. I have nothing against Bolger, in fact, I have defended him often on here, however, I didn't think that was the right game for him yesterday.

You are probably right. The problem with PB is, and its happened a number of times now, is that when a tweak is needed he suddenly makes wholesale changes. To the best of my memory we have not won a game after making wholesale changes. I know PB likes to blow his own trumpet but he is looking increasingly like a numpty every week.

Maybe this is all a strategy to put some more money in the coffers by going through the play offs!

Given our chances on paper are 25% its a pretty dangerous strategy.

Personally think we to give PB the season. We are 5th after all and the good squad we have built is in part his squad so think we have to judge at the end of the season.

Am I right in thinking that PB's new contract never did get signed? If that's the case then I'm sure he'll be off at the end of the season. I'm just gutted that Gillingham managed to secure the services of Justin Edinburgh before we did. He would have been my first choice. A very astute and likeable man who gets the best out of his players.

I was thinking the same as you about that four year contract. It is probably gathering dust in Ron's desk drawer. Another sign that Ron is getting fed up is his decision not to let PB sign Elliott Lee. Its as if he is saying enough is enough. Agree that Brown will go at the end of the season if promotion is not achieved.

I am fed up with Phil Browns excuses and team changes. Yes he's gonna change it again next week. Nearing the end of the season and he still does not know his best eleven. This squad with different manager equals promotion.

Spot on, he doesn't and hasn't known his best XI all season. He tinkers too frequently and has his favourites, Leonard (who I do like) has been poor for a long time yet others are sacrificed for him.

He has been backed with a huge squad at this level, big back room team including a chief scout (hasn't signed many good players) - stop making excuses Brown!!!!

The Carlisle game is now HUGE.
Fail to win and I suspect Phil will have to GO.
Can Dave Penney run things?
With Ron "making up" with Adam, and Tilly back in the directors' box, is there a possible replacement being lined up for the run in towards the play offs?
I think Phil has alienated several players with his Phil Brown Show speeches, team changes; and a new manager might bring harmony over what is, IMO, a reasonable squad that ought to be enough to win this league.

Most zoners wanted at least 1 if not 2 changes at CB. like I have said on another thread we conceded by attacking, their 95 min fourth goal was on the break when we had Shaq on for Deegan and obviously we were gambling to get a point.

Half time Stevenage led 1-0 from a cross that crept in at the far post after their player misses a header at the near. Corr had missed a one on one and a free header from a corner, that's wright should have scored from a corner and I had a good view from their main stand of a definite pen on Corr [ two handed shirt pull].

Second half 2-1 up [wait till you see Pigott's goal] and Lenny concedes a break away penalty. Some say ball was clearly out on the far side, deep in their half for the third. I could hear our fans all shouting from where I was.

We didn't play that bad and it was never a 4-2 game. If anyone in the back four has to be blamed, as we all love to do, then it has to be the can do no wrong Coker not Bolger or Barrett.

I'ts true that most people called for changes to the CB's, however I doubt that many we're thinking of Bolger.

Prosser needs to be starting games again but I have a feeling he has fallen out of favour with Brown and will end up going the same way as Clifford. Brown seems to get very personal with players to the detriment of the team and progress.

Prosser is our best CB and should be playing

Prosser needs to be starting games again but I have a feeling he has fallen out of favour with Brown and will end up going the same way as Clifford. Brown seems to get very personal with players to the detriment of the team and progress.

Prosser is our best CB and should be playing

I agree , Prosser has very rarely let the team down in the past two seasons.
He was unlucky last season when he got injured and then Egan and Sokolik formed a great partnership.
I don't see how he can't even get on the bench.

I agree , Prosser has very rarely let the team down in the past two seasons.
He was unlucky last season when he got injured and then Egan and Sokolik formed a great partnership.
I don't see how he can't even get on the bench.

Agreed. Madness that he doesn't even make the bench, but even worse that he's behind Bolger in the pecking order.

Is this a thread about man love for Luke? or is that a reason for your unexpressed views on Phil?
Still off topic but you can't seriously believe Luke would/should be a nailed on starter for us, or that he would cut it in Div1 (if we ever made it there)?

Is this a thread about man love for Luke? or is that a reason for your unexpressed views on Phil?
Still off topic but you can't seriously believe Luke would/should be a nailed on starter for us, or that he would cut it in Div1 (if we ever made it there)?

Well if Prosser can't cut it in L1 then I fear that says a lot about the CB's we have at the club. I agree with many on here, IMHO Prosser is our best centre-half and he should be in the side. He lost his place last season through no fault of his own, he got injured and the Egan/Sokolik partnership was immense. They aren't here anymore though and if you go through our CB's Prosser is the most reliable. Thompson has improved recently but is still inconsistent, JBW's has had some solid games but looks like an accident waiting to happen sometimes and Bolger has been a big let-down both in performances and discipline.

Sadly I believe there may have been a falling out, I can't see why Brown would otherwise isolate his best CB. I sincerely hope he doesn't go the same way as Clifford.....

I'm not totally enamoured with Phils performance right now , but if you read this board last week , many comments were along the lines of :

Rookie keeper is risky , we really need Dan back !
Cassidy isn't scoring , change it.
Deegan must play !
CB's were shocking last week !
We really miss Worrall.

Now apart from the possible shock of Bolger above Thompson or Prosser , Phil basically did all those things.

Result ? , apart from getting best 4-2 !

Phil has lost the plot !
6 changes , the man is crazy !

As I say , I'm not overly pleased myself this weekend , but all a bit too much IMO.

From what I heard on the radio , at 2-1 there was only one likely winner.
They got a pen and the momentum ( as it does in most games around the world ) swung back to the team who were behind.
We still pushed for the win and got caught on the break twice.

Lets have some balance people.
Not the greatest hour in our history , but not outplayed for 90 mins and not the team a million miles away from the one we were all asking for.

Graham Westley in his programme notes said "At our best, we have outrun sides, outfought sides, out played sides and out thought sides. It is our belief that we will probably have to do all four of those things today"
Ultimately, that is what happened.
The only positive from the visit to Stevenage was the superb Southend supporters.:happy:

I'm not totally enamoured with Phils performance right now , but if you read this board last week , many comments were along the lines of :

Rookie keeper is risky , we really need Dan back !
Cassidy isn't scoring , change it.
Deegan must play !
CB's were shocking last week !
We really miss Worrall.

Now apart from the possible shock of Bolger above Thompson or Prosser , Phil basically did all those things.

Result ? , apart from getting best 4-2 !

Phil has lost the plot !
6 changes , the man is crazy !

As I say , I'm not overly pleased myself this weekend , but all a bit too much IMO.

From what I heard on the radio , at 2-1 there was only one likely winner.
They got a pen and the momentum ( as it does in most games around the world ) swung back to the team who were behind.
We still pushed for the win and got caught on the break twice.

Lets have some balance people.
Not the greatest hour in our history , but not outplayed for 90 mins and not the team a million miles away from the one we were all asking for.

agree with most of that. I was there, and at 2-1 it was one way traffic in our direction. At 2-2 it was still one way traffic. For most of the game it was in our favour, even at 1-0 down we looked like we had an answer, and should have resulted in 3 points to be honest. The last 15 minutes after the "tactical nous" displayed by PB is where it all went wrong.

What was okay:

Cassidy adds a lot to the side, and continued to do so when he came on for Corr. If he had been able to take his chance and score, the 3 points would have been ours.
Deegan was excellent, strong, solid and offered good distribution.
The two CBs did a really good job, have no reason to criticise anything either of them did. Tough on Thompson, as he has been doing well, but he is young and will get other opportunities.
Worrall adds a lot to the side and played well.

the changes weren't really the issue, we were bossing the game.

what went wrong:

Bentley should not have started. Still injured and clearly uncomfortable.
Lenny giving away the penalty. It happens though at this level, but it put us on the back foot.
taking both Timlin and Deegan off for Hurst and Shaq. Madness. Timlin and Deegan had complete control of midfield, and whilst I like Hurst, he added nothing and I think Timlin was doing too good a job to come off. And what he was thinking taking Deegan off with Timlin already off is beyond me....
lenny, I am afraid to say, was awful for most of the game, and should have made way for Hurst or Shaq.
We pushed forward to get the win, which I think was coming anyway without the tinkering. Coker was left injured on the floor a couple of times and the ref didn't notice, leaving us desperately short at the back for at least one of their goals. We also had no answer for their substitutions after we lost our midfield advantage, so we got caught on the break twice.
the officials were terrible, got almost every decision wrong.

overall, the tactical substitutions were the biggest issue. Down to the manager. Again!!!

Learning points, Deegan and Timlin together are immense and should play together. The CB pairing worked, we are in a lucky position of having options. Piggott played well with both Corr and Cassidy, which also gives us options.

OK, we have lost 2 on the spin to average opposition, so need to do better as we have the potential.

I think we can still push for the autos as long as our meddlesome manager keeps his mouth shut and his eyes open. Sadly, not sure that will happen, and that will ultimately be our downfall.

Last edited:
Graham Westley in his programme notes said "At our best, we have outrun sides, outfought sides, out played sides and out thought sides. It is our belief that we will probably have to do all four of those things today"
Ultimately, that is what happened.
The only positive from the visit to Stevenage was the superb Southend supporters.:happy:

I don't think they managed the first three points; but certainly did the 4th for the last 20 minutes. With the 3rd and 4th goals our players ought to have thought "play to the whistle" instead of asking for the not given throw and foul while play went on: & the subs made a difference which shows some thought too.

Back