• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I've been given this a lot of thought this morning. There is no doubt that we are now at the business end of the season. Yes, we are still in contention for promotion sitting in fifth place. However, performances have been far from convincing and you get the feeling that we might now struggle to get over the finishing line whilst remaining in the top seven.

It would be a brave decision to end Phil Brown's tenure at this time, but could it be the most inspired one if Ron Martin decided to do just that and install Mr Southend, Adam Barrett, as his successor? If only on a temporary basis until the end of the season?
I have a feeling that it would breathe new life into our season, unite the club and finally see the players playing with freedom and confidence which many of us feel has been holding this side back this season. We already know that AB is all about team spirit and playing the game without fear. Imagine how we would all feel seeing Adam walking out at Roots Hall and taking his place in the home dug out.

I know AB and RM have had their differences, but surely AB wouldn't turn down the opportunity to manage his home town club.

I just want our players to go out onto the pitch, not worrying about the opposition, just simply expressing themselves and playing with the freedom and confidence that would see us excel.

It would be Ron's biggest call undoubtedly. But just maybe his most inspired.

Not for me thanks, would not change anything this season at all. Maybe if we do not get promoted, but certainly not with an un-tried manager.

Give it some more thought. You'll find your heart is ruling your head.

At our level, success is to large degree down to having a great team spirit. The man is a natural leader and players would give their all for him. He demands respect and the feeling of togetherness he would create amongst the players would be huge.

Brentford manager Mark Warburton used to work as a trader in the city before out of nowhere he got his big chance. Look where they are now. Any managerial appointment carries an element of risk. AB knows what makes players tick at this level......He would get the best out of each and every one of them.
With 14 games to go, I know who I'd have in charge to get the 30 points we need to secure a place in the top three.
Roots Hall would become a pleasurable place to visit once again for home supporters.

He clearly wants to go into coaching and management. Let's give him his big chance before someone else does.

Why do people on here keep banging on about former/current players becoming coaches - someone was going on about Gower recently and now Barrett - what evidence is there that they would be any good :stunned:

Being a good player doesn't mean (s)he will become a good manager. Look at Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton for examples - never cut it as managers.

I've been given this a lot of thought this morning. There is no doubt that we are now at the business end of the season. Yes, we are still in contention for promotion sitting in fifth place. However, performances have been far from convincing and you get the feeling that we might now struggle to get over the finishing line whilst remaining in the top seven.

It would be a brave decision to end Phil Brown's tenure at this time, but could it be the most inspired one if Ron Martin decided to do just that and install Mr Southend, Adam Barrett, as his successor? If only on a temporary basis until the end of the season?
I have a feeling that it would breathe new life into our season, unite the club and finally see the players playing with freedom and confidence which many of us feel has been holding this side back this season. We already know that AB is all about team spirit and playing the game without fear. Imagine how we would all feel seeing Adam walking out at Roots Hall and taking his place in the home dug out.

I know AB and RM have had their differences, but surely AB wouldn't turn down the opportunity to manage his home town club.

I just want our players to go out onto the pitch, not worrying about the opposition, just simply expressing themselves and playing with the freedom and confidence that would see us excel.

It would be Ron's biggest call undoubtedly. But just maybe his most inspired.

It's okay your hangover will go soon.

Why do people on here keep banging on about former/current players becoming coaches - someone was going on about Gower recently and now Barrett - what evidence is there that they would be any good :stunned:

I can see why you call yourself Grumpy Blue now!

I'm looking at this appointment in terms of it having the necessary impact to secure promotion.
Trust me, I always saw AB's limitations as a player. He was completely out of depth at championship level. So I'm not wearing rose tinted specs on this one.

PB over complicates management for me. 75 per cent of being successful at our level is about having a great team spirit whilst being organised and letting players express themselves. ...letting them do what they're good at.
AB would bring that to the table in my view.

"PB over complicates management for me. 75 per cent of being successful at our level is about having a great team spirit whilst being organised and letting players express themselves. ...letting them do what they're good at.
AB would bring that to the table in my view."

A good manager knows how to handle people. Dave Webb excelled at that. He knew who to strangle and who to hug, as it were. He put together a good team - a very good team with players that weren't great. Decent for sure but not great -the team was better than the players (if you see what I mean!).

That was me who talked about Gower, because if the players are going into coaching and they do all their badges etc, it's always nice to have a familiar face/legend as a coach/manager at your club. Look at how happy Arsenal are that Henry is going to be back coaching at Arsenal and is being groomed to be Wengers replacement, whose to say he will be at success? Any Southend fan would love to see the likes of Maher, Barrett, Gower, Eastwood etc on our coaching stuff because they are the faces of the good times at Southend. Every club and most fans are they same.... Don't see what the issue is myself.

Not for me thanks, would not change anything this season at all. Maybe if we do not get promoted, but certainly not with an un-tried manager.
Untried managers are often better than journeymen like Brown and Sturrock. Hasslebank and Ainsworth were untried when appointed and Micky Mellon was untried but achieved promotion with Fleetwood. The above managers occupy the top three places in Division Two.

We are 5th in the league, go on a small winning streak and we could see ourselves in the automatic promotion places. Sacking Brown because of 2 bad games would be madness.

We also have no idea of Barrett's managerial capabilities, if Brown does go I'd rather see a manger with a decent track record in league 2 coming in.

Untried managers are often better than journeymen like Brown and Sturrock. Hasslebank and Ainsworth were untried when appointed and Micky Mellon was untried but achieved promotion with Fleetwood. The above managers occupy the top three places in Division Two.

Mark Warburton.

Bloody hell, lost two games after a great run and the calls for Brown to be sacked are back again. It's purely down to people's personal opinions of him as a person. If this was Tilly or another fans favourite, no one would be calling for a new manager. Brown is easily dislikeable because of his ways, but sacking him now and putting a completely untried, rookie manager in place is a huge risk and not worth taking at all. If Penney/Coughlan decide to move on, Barrett would be my first choice to fill in so he can get the experience and be groomed into a future manager. If we were mid-table and coasting, unlikely to go up or down, I'd probably say lets go for it, but we're 5th. If we'd won the last two we'd be in the autos and threads like this wouldn't exist.

Keep the faith!

Bloody hell, lost two games after a great run and the calls for Brown to be sacked are back again. It's purely down to people's personal opinions of him as a person. If this was Tilly or another fans favourite, no one would be calling for a new manager. Brown is easily dislikeable because of his ways, but sacking him now and putting a completely untried, rookie manager in place is a huge risk and not worth taking at all. If Penney/Coughlan decide to move on, Barrett would be my first choice to fill in so he can get the experience and be groomed into a future manager. If we were mid-table and coasting, unlikely to go up or down, I'd probably say lets go for it, but we're 5th. If we'd won the last two we'd be in the autos and threads like this wouldn't exist.

Keep the faith!

Absolute nonsense. For me it has nothing to do with Brown as a person. I don't even know him. I have however witnessed his management and am less than inspired.

A new manager now and we may not go up. Stick with PB and in my opinion we will definitely not go up.

Yesterday was about unnecessary wholesale changes on a side that needed a tweak and ludicrous substitutions yet again. PB's record of losing the initiative after making substitutions is probably second to none.

Sacking PB is not personal it is necessary.

Absolute nonsense. For me it has nothing to do with Brown as a person. I don't even know him. I have however witnessed his management and am less than inspired.

A new manager now and we may not go up. Stick with PB and in my opinion we will definitely not go up.

Yesterday was about unnecessary wholesale changes on a side that needed a tweak and ludicrous substitutions yet again. PB's record of losing the initiative after making substitutions is probably second to none.

Sacking PB is not personal it is necessary.

5th in the table but we won't go up? Like I said, if we'd won the last two which our great run suggested we should have, we'd be in the autos. We can be a right fickle bunch sometimes.

5th in the table but we won't go up? Like I said, if we'd won the last two which our great run suggested we should have, we'd be in the autos. We can be a right fickle bunch sometimes.

But we did not win the last two games or countless other games at key stages under PB. It's always a case of flatter to deceive.

If my Aunt had b*lls she'd be my Uncle.

But we did not win the last two games or countless other games at key stages under PB. It's always a case of flatter to deceive.

Spot on. I think that's what has caused the trust and patience of a few of us to finally break. I just get this feeling that under PB we will never quite get where we want to be. So many times we've just needed one more win to climb into the top three, only to lose to a team we should be beating handsomely.

I don't dislike PB in the slightest, but simply believe that by AB taking over now.....that will give us the best chance of achieving promotion.

Should an ex player manage his former club , Peter Taylor springs to mind .

Back