• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

the map is very clear. It does not touch Jones Memeorial ground but Ron does seem to have "aquired" Cecil Jones's playing fields (although I think they have plenty more at the school). As far as I can see the plans are the same including the training pitches in Rochford apart from the dome (there seems to be only one - there were 2 at Greenwich) is to be on the Cecil Jones site and there is changing rooms alongside and some player accomodation and flats now seem to be incorporated in the stand along with he hotel?? The letter started off with the "Scooping" proposal and I feared the worst but they then realised it was "Scoping" and it got quite interesting. Mind you I think I'll be long gone before "the vision" is realised.

Indeed Ken, it's a ***** area anyway, who wants to be going to a cinema, or their kids going to a cinema on their own, with a red light district literally just yards away?!

Red light district?!?!? There is not one

Also regeneration as to start somewhere and don't think cineworld has not done their homework first

Have read through the letter and there are a few things that stand out:

- There is likely to be a fresh planning application submitted in May 2015
- The stadium development (still stated as "phased") and hotel are unchanged
- The dome is included in the application and the players hostel is moved to here from the stadium
- There could be up to 170 apartments in the stadium (in addition to the 67 already approved on site, and the 114 bedroom hotel)
- The retail and restaurant area has increased and the car parking for this almost doubled in size
- The 12 screen cinema is included - this is in addition to the increased retail/restaurant footprint.

I am a chartered town planner by profession, so am not without knowledge on such matters. My gut feeling is that Ron is pushing his luck a bit here and being a bit greedy!

If he had substituted apartments for the area previously occupied by the players hostel in the stadium, and swapped in the cinema for some of the already approved retail so the overall floor area was the same, then this probably would have sailed through without a hitch. By being a bit greedy and asking for more, I think this will just hold things up.

Yes I had subsequently seen that.. I have no argument against 2 complexes in Southend and of course if it helps get FF on the go all the better. I just don't see this town catering for three and the council already have one in their sites at Seaway. I guess we will have to wait and see how it all goes.

- The dome is included in the application and the players hostel is moved to here from the stadium
- There could be up to 170 apartments in the stadium (in addition to the 67 already approved on site, and the 114 bedroom hotel)
- The retail and restaurant area has increased and the car parking for this almost doubled in size
- The 12 screen cinema is included - this is in addition to the increased retail/restaurant footprint.

I am a chartered town planner by profession, so am not without knowledge on such matters. My gut feeling is that Ron is pushing his luck a bit here and being a bit greedy!

If he had substituted apartments for the area previously occupied by the players hostel in the stadium, and swapped in the cinema for some of the already approved retail so the overall floor area was the same, then this probably would have sailed through without a hitch. By being a bit greedy and asking for more, I think this will just hold things up.

Wow just wow, he cannot afford to build it as it is, yet he wants to add on a few more million to the project....

Moving on.

It is now 2023 and RM is submitting new plans for Ronnie-world to include a new airport and an inland harbour...You heard it here first.:smile:

Yes I had subsequently seen that.. I have no argument against 2 complexes in Southend and of course if it helps get FF on the go all the better. I just don't see this town catering for three and the council already have one in their sites at Seaway. I guess we will have to wait and see how it all goes.

I could see us having two no problems in different areas. One in town and one outside caters for everyone.

Certainly cant see 3 working though and as said above if there is a choice to be made by the cinema company as to which to go for I would have thought Fossetts would be the better choice, but that might cause problems for the Council anyway.

A cinema would be perfect for the development as it will bring people to it, surely a better prospect than just a row of shops when other retailers have been closing stores.

can't see it happening, unless Southend Council grant a load of cash (witch I doubt)

As much as I dislike the football league show, this weeks feature was on Crewe. And like any time anyone opens their mouth about them they have to mention their incredible youth academy. One thing that did catch my eye was that they had an indoor training facility. This makes me think we're looking to pretty much copy their entire model.

I don't think this is such a bad idea. For a lower league club in the modern game this is probably the only way to be self-sustaining as the money dries up from the leagues above. Have a look at this list of academy graduates from Crewe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crewe_Alexandra_F.C._Academy#Graduates

There's a fair argument there that not many have done better than L1, but frankly they won't expect to be duking it out at the top of the Championship. Going for a structure like this seems like a great idea!

As much as I dislike the football league show, this weeks feature was on Crewe. And like any time anyone opens their mouth about them they have to mention their incredible youth academy. One thing that did catch my eye was that they had an indoor training facility. This makes me think we're looking to pretty much copy their entire model.

I don't think this is such a bad idea. For a lower league club in the modern game this is probably the only way to be self-sustaining as the money dries up from the leagues above. Have a look at this list of academy graduates from Crewe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crewe_Alexandra_F.C._Academy#Graduates

There's a fair argument there that not many have done better than L1, but frankly they won't expect to be duking it out at the top of the Championship. Going for a structure like this seems like a great idea!

The dome has very little to do with copying Crewe, and a whole lot to do with trying to move our academy up to the next level, which will hopefully attract even better young players.

I believe Crewe are at the next level, so yes, we might emulate them, but not because we are consciously trying to copy them.

The dome has very little to do with copying Crewe, and a whole lot to do with trying to move our academy up to the next level, which will hopefully attract even better young players.

I believe Crewe are at the next level, so yes, we might emulate them, but not because we are consciously trying to copy them.

The only way to copy Crewe is to go back in a time machine and abduct Dario Gradi in 1980.

Dario Gradi is unique, and also times have moved on (as have Crewe and the rest of football).

We need to stick with the right person (most people seem to think Ricky Duncan is good at what he does) and allow him to work with the best facilities possible (which is what the dome will hopefully do).

Give Duncan time and facilities and hopefully we'll (continue to) reap the benefits of having a good youth system.

I'm not a planner, but having worked on such all-encompassing stadium applications as this in the past, then I am wholly inclined to agree with you.

The big issue for me here is how the Club are going to deal with the travel plan - surely a whole new traffic impact assessment has to be submitted with an application that has changed to this degree, and I can't see how the introduction of this many residential units and the cinema is going to be justifiable in relation to impact, unless of course Ron adopts a similar model to that used at Watford's Vicarage Road, where all apartments were allocated to key workers (slightly more justifiable given the ground's location next to a major Hospital...) on the basis that they could only use public transport.

Watching brief on this one...

Ken are you fed up with saying the same old stuff here? You should really try and mess with the papers and chuck a few "rumours" in.

Multi cinema
Tower blocks
Mass parking

Any chance he could throw in the main stand too.

Back