• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick Hennessey's got a show on tomorrow night, live on Channel 5 at 10pm. Hughie Fury goes in against some Brazilian. Worth a watch (or at least worth a SkyPlus) just to see the future British HW king & AJ conqueror in action :)

Ah, good spot. I'll have a little look at that, a bit of couting for Camp AJ. Also, Buglioni has a title shot against Chudinov and Kolorov is up against Mohammedi tomorrow as well.

What do you reckon on prediction points, try and pick three bouts on a Friday?

1 point for correct outcome - i.e. Ricey beats GBJ

3 points for correct method of victory? - i.e. MK Shrimper KO's Blue_Wes

5 points for correct round in a KO or a draw - i.e. Duncan Bulgaria KO's ESB in the 4th

Edit: Buglioni is tonight.

Ah, good spot. I'll have a little look at that, a bit of couting for Camp AJ. Also, Buglioni has a title shot against Chudinov and Kolorov is up against Mohammedi tomorrow as well.

5 points for correct round in a KO or a draw - i.e. Duncan Bulgaria KO's ESB in the 4th

Cool I'm in. Although, The Chudinov fight fell through a couple weeks back. Buglioni faces some no-hoper instead. Therefore, I'll go a Stoppage victory for Frank, in the 4th round

FWIW, I think Chudinov beats Buglioni, if the fight is actually rescheduled. He didn't look too bad against Eubank Jr, who is a mile apart from Buglioni.

I'll be up for that as well if you need some underdogs

Eh, what now? :unsure: I'm a lover not a fighter :smile:

What's happened to Hughie, GBJ? Three wins and no stoppages. Is he stalling? 41 year old journeymen just about survive the ring walk against AJ.

In fairness I couldn't catch it as took my boy to the Star Wars Secret Cinema, where there a lot more knockouts and excitement!

Found this assesment from a 'fan' - like I said, I didn't see the fight.

Hughie’s lack of punching power was really frustrating to watch. I mean, you can tell that he’s just unable to muster up any kind of punching power even when he loads up on his shots. Part of the problem is Hughie is frequently fighting at the range for him to get maximum power. He was stifling his power tonight by standing too close to Arias when he’d throw a shot. If Hughie has the sense to get at the proper distance when throwing a punch, he might have a little more power. I still don’t think he’d have been able to hurt Arias, but at least he would have gotten his attention every once in a while. But like Tyson Fury, Hughie stands too close to his shorter opponents when throwing his shots, and this robs him of what little punching power he has.

Talks of a two fight deal between Quigg and Frampton. One in Manchester and the other in Belfast.

What's happened to Hughie, GBJ? Three wins and no stoppages. Is he stalling? 41 year old journeymen just about survive the ring walk against AJ.

In fairness I couldn't catch it as took my boy to the Star Wars Secret Cinema, where there a lot more knockouts and excitement!

Found this assesment from a 'fan' - like I said, I didn't see the fight.

That report isn't fair in the slightest & reading between the lines, is biased as ****. Let me educate you on Hughie. He's a 20-year-old KID. Just because he stands 6"6, and weighs 16 stone*, people forget that were talking about a basic adolescent still.

*16 stone is well underweight for a man his stature, but I believe he's still slightly suffering from the effect of that Niemens Pick disease, personally. When he's fully fit, and fully filled out, he'll be 17-18st, of unstoppable muscle.

Heres my thoughts... Not a great spectacle. Especially not for the casuals. From a purists POV, it was an excellent workout for Fury (unless you're biased/clueless) Look at it logically, he's a 20-year-old kid, who is learning how to dominate a fight, by boxing off the back foot. He's had 16 professional fights, and he's dominating a fighter, who's vastly experienced, by boxing off the back foot & controlling the pace & tempo of the fight, winning by complete shutout. That's almost unheard of in boxing. Take AJ for example, he hasn't been hit yet, let alone boxed off the back foot. And none of his opponents, have had the professional record that the Brazilian did. He was something like 56-6, with 42 KO's. AJ hasn't faced anything like that in his 2 years as a pro.

That report is strange aswell, because it talks about Hughie being too close to the guy, to throw power punches. I thought his main problem was his inability to open up the guys defence, which was due to the height difference. A small man, covering up very tightly, is always gunna be a problem for an opponent, who stands nearly 7 inches taller. Trying to whip your hooks in behind that guard is tough. But the report is ridiculous, because from the outset you could tell Fury wanted to land 2 & 3 punches, then step away. He was always trying to keep him at bay. From the mid rounds, he had no intention of sparking the guy, he (and Peter) wanted to gain rounds & neutralise the opponent. Now I know that's not as exciting as watching someone (like AJ) steamroll opponents in 2-3 rounds, but in the long run, it's invaluable. As a youngster, he's learning more about the trade, than AJ had learned in 2 years as a pro.

Hughie has been thrown in the deep end & is definitely learning his trade. His power has been questioned, but again were talking about a 20-year-old kid, who's suffered a life-threatening blood virus for the past year or so. Give him time, and it will come.

So to sum up; the "report" is weird & misleading. Hughie is still miles off being a legit contender, by he's also a kid, with time on his side. He will challenge for a world title at some point, I guarantee. The only downside I can speak about, is his defence. He will get tagged a lot, and I've never been a fan of that lower left hand (a la Froch). It invites trouble.

He's definitely got s higher ceiling that AJ IMO.

Talks of a two fight deal between Quigg and Frampton. One in Manchester and the other in Belfast.

Like Floyd & Pac, it's all become a bit meh to me now. Great if it happens, but won't cry if it doesn't. They're still miles behind Leo Santa Cruz & Guillermo Rigondeaux.

In fact, Rigo (one of the best P4P fighters on the planet) has got a very good fight coming up against Vasyl Lomanchenko (one of the best amateurs, of all time. Definitely worth a watch

And Triple G has got Lemieaux. Both KO artists, but GGG just holds the advantage. This fight won't got past 6 rounds

I also see that talks are on going for a Khan vs Brook fight at Wembley next year. Now that I want to go to!

That report isn't fair in the slightest & reading between the lines, is biased as ****. Let me educate you on Hughie. He's a 20-year-old KID. Just because he stands 6"6, and weighs 16 stone*, people forget that were talking about a basic adolescent still.

*16 stone is well underweight for a man his stature, but I believe he's still slightly suffering from the effect of that Niemens Pick disease, personally. When he's fully fit, and fully filled out, he'll be 17-18st, of unstoppable muscle.

Heres my thoughts... Not a great spectacle. Especially not for the casuals. From a purists POV, it was an excellent workout for Fury (unless you're biased/clueless) Look at it logically, he's a 20-year-old kid, who is learning how to dominate a fight, by boxing off the back foot. He's had 16 professional fights, and he's dominating a fighter, who's vastly experienced, by boxing off the back foot & controlling the pace & tempo of the fight, winning by complete shutout. That's almost unheard of in boxing. Take AJ for example, he hasn't been hit yet, let alone boxed off the back foot. And none of his opponents, have had the professional record that the Brazilian did. He was something like 56-6, with 42 KO's. AJ hasn't faced anything like that in his 2 years as a pro.

That report is strange aswell, because it talks about Hughie being too close to the guy, to throw power punches. I thought his main problem was his inability to open up the guys defence, which was due to the height difference. A small man, covering up very tightly, is always gunna be a problem for an opponent, who stands nearly 7 inches taller. Trying to whip your hooks in behind that guard is tough. But the report is ridiculous, because from the outset you could tell Fury wanted to land 2 & 3 punches, then step away. He was always trying to keep him at bay. From the mid rounds, he had no intention of sparking the guy, he (and Peter) wanted to gain rounds & neutralise the opponent. Now I know that's not as exciting as watching someone (like AJ) steamroll opponents in 2-3 rounds, but in the long run, it's invaluable. As a youngster, he's learning more about the trade, than AJ had learned in 2 years as a pro.

Hughie has been thrown in the deep end & is definitely learning his trade. His power has been questioned, but again were talking about a 20-year-old kid, who's suffered a life-threatening blood virus for the past year or so. Give him time, and it will come.

So to sum up; the "report" is weird & misleading. Hughie is still miles off being a legit contender, by he's also a kid, with time on his side. He will challenge for a world title at some point, I guarantee. The only downside I can speak about, is his defence. He will get tagged a lot, and I've never been a fan of that lower left hand (a la Froch). It invites trouble.

He's definitely got s higher ceiling that AJ IMO.

Fair enough, as I say, I never saw the fight, only the result and his last couple of fights. You're right though, he is just a kid and rounds in the bank are more valuable at this stage than KO's - although a few KO's are good for the mind as well.

More interestingly though, it seem's his labours have drawn the attention of WIlder, offering him a four week notice title fight. Talk about cherry picking, he's not doing much for his reputation there, picking a kid and giving him no notice in the hope of KO-ing his oh. Hughie would do well to avoid this fight for a couple of years, that said, would a potential loss, for the chance of a title shot do him all that harm in long run, it'd be an experience? Then it c/would set up a Tyson Wilder revenge fight, in which Tyson then get's sparked as well :hilarious: All in all, a pretty low move by Wilder on Hughie's part though.

I'm a little bit in GBJ's boat with this one, I'd love to see it, but the longer it get's drawn out, for some reason the less attractive it's feeling. Neither want any part of Rigondeaux (but his fight against Lemechenko will be a very good watch), so it seems the natural way to go if they aren't both planning on just fighting mandatories. I say this though, once announced, I'll be straight on board the hype train, first class!

I also see that talks are on going for a Khan vs Brook fight at Wembley next year. Now that I want to go to!

Hopefully this won't end up like the Quigg / Frampton saga, and be one of those things that is always talked about. Trouble is I can see it being that way, and only occuring when neither have anywhere else to go; but until FMJ actually confims his Sept 12th opponent, I don't think we'll see any interest from Khan's side.

Last edited:
Just seen on the BBBoC schedule, that Callum Smith Rocky Fielding is in diary for Sept 26th.

http://bbbofc.com/content/schedule

No official announcement's though, can only assume Hearn is trying to fix up the rest of the card? Or an error from the BBBoC?

Would be one of the most anticipated domestic fights.

Just seen on the BBBoC schedule, that Callum Smith Rocky Fielding is in diary for Sept 26th.

http://bbbofc.com/content/schedule

No official announcement's though, can only assume Hearn is trying to fix up the rest of the card? Or an error from the BBBoC?

Would be one of the most anticipated domestic fights.

Would imagine it's just a provisional date. So, Hearn's applied to the Board to sanction the fight, on that date, but it'll be subject to contracts being signed.

I'd say it's a good domestic fight. I don't think Fielding has the potential to be World Level. Callum has slightly better potential, but again I don't really see him achieving much at World Level, Certainly not Elite level. Good domestic fight, but there's better fights out there I'd rather see, not that half of them will ever happen (due to politics, of course)

In no particular order:

Kell Brook vs Amir Khan
Scott Quigg vs Carl Frampton
Kevin Mitchell vs Luke Campbell
Billy Jo Saunders vs Eubank (rematch)
Ant Crolla vs Ricky Burns
Ricky Burns vs Kev Mitchell (rematch)
James DeGale vs George Groves (rematch)
Derry Matthews vs Kev Mitchell
Derry Matthews vs Luke Campbell
Martin Murray vs George Groves
James DeGale vs Martin Murray

That's just off the top of my head. Any of those fights there, with Smith vs Fielding as chief support would be a great card. Add 2-3 of those on the list & it's one of the strongest cards in British history

Would imagine it's just a provisional date. So, Hearn's applied to the Board to sanction the fight, on that date, but it'll be subject to contracts being signed.

I'd say it's a good domestic fight. I don't think Fielding has the potential to be World Level. Callum has slightly better potential, but again I don't really see him achieving much at World Level, Certainly not Elite level. Good domestic fight, but there's better fights out there I'd rather see, not that half of them will ever happen (due to politics, of course)

In no particular order:

Kell Brook vs Amir Khan
Scott Quigg vs Carl Frampton
Kevin Mitchell vs Luke Campbell
Billy Jo Saunders vs Eubank (rematch)
Ant Crolla vs Ricky Burns
Ricky Burns vs Kev Mitchell (rematch)
James DeGale vs George Groves (rematch)
Derry Matthews vs Kev Mitchell
Derry Matthews vs Luke Campbell
Martin Murray vs George Groves
James DeGale vs Martin Murray

That's just off the top of my head. Any of those fights there, with Smith vs Fielding as chief support would be a great card. Add 2-3 of those on the list & it's one of the strongest cards in British history

Yeah, that maybe true, but kudos on getting the fight done, when we've seen how long some other bouts have been protracted out for - Khan/Brook, Quigg/Frampton for example - credit to two young prospects for being willing to put their oh's and promising reputations on the line so early in their careers.

Edit: I appreciate there is more to go before it's signed and sealed, but both camps must be willing.

Yeah, that maybe true, but kudos on getting the fight done, when we've seen how long some other bouts have been protracted out for - Khan/Brook, Quigg/Frampton for example - credit to two young prospects for being willing to put their oh's and promising reputations on the line so early in their careers.

Edit: I appreciate there is more to go before it's signed and sealed, but both camps must be willing.

It wasn't that hard for Hearn to get it done though, because he promotes both. As far as I know, both camps have always been willing, but It's the typical "build-up" of both careers that's taken time, for the fight to be "bigger", and therefore gross more money. I use the term "bigger fight" loosely though, because both of these are still unknowns to the majority of people, (unless your an actual boxing head & follow the domestic scene)
Same sort of reason why the Groves - DeGale rematch has taken ages, and why Fury - Price never happened.
But credit to them for both wanting the fight

Quigg - Frampton is purely down to two promoters, who each believe their man is the better fighter & should therefore claim the most money. Unfortunately, neither of them are willing to concede ground. That's the difference with that fight & the other one, because Eddie calls the shots for both Fielding & Smith.

I'm not buying the Khan - Brook one though. It's always been a simple no-brainier for Khan. Why risk a $15m payday, at the boxing capital of the world, against the best fighter of your generation?
Hearn offered him $5m for the Brook fight in Wales ffs lol Then Hearn has the cheek to try & con/cheat the (casual) fans by claiming Khan is the bad man etc. when anyone can see it was the worse of 2 options. Especially when Hearn's offer will still be waiting, if/when the Floyd fight falls apart. Brook has always needed Khan, more than Khan needed Brook. And I say that as a fan of Brook, and a mild-hater of Khan

So, Floyd Vs Berto on Sept 12th. Crap fight. Berto has no chance of winning, not even a punchers chance. Think I saw somewhere that some bookies have installed Floyd at 1/66 already. I don't think England's odds are that long, when we play the likes of San Marino ffs.

So, it's an uncompetitive fight. Are there any silver linings though? Maybe...

- This is supposedly Floyd's "final" fight. I don't believe it & never have. He's mentioned a few times, in the past, he wants to beat Marciano's record. This fight with Berto, should he win, puts him level (49-0).

- His 6-fight contract with Showtime, will be up after this, so a potential 50th fight, will see Floyd as a free agent basically. Which means even more $$$, as he can hold the broadcasters to ransom. And let's be honest, for an achievement/event like that, the broadcasters would be willing to dish out untold millions. It's blank cheque levels.

- He's not slowing down or deteriorating. Normally a fighter will retire, because their body simply can't do it anymore. That's not the case with Floyd. He's still as quick & as sharp as he's always been.

- MGM's new arena, on the strip, opens next year, slated for April time. This would fit a 50th fight for Floyd, and grand opening for the arena. At the MGM right now, they've got a massive mural on one side, with a picture of Floyd, and a message saying "Home of the champ". They've also got his collection of World Title Belts, robes, gloves, shorts etc from previous big fights, displayed in the foyer. The MGM would certainly love Floyd to be the one to christen their new arena.
I'll post a pic of his collection.

Finally, whether you love or hate the man, you can't argue with his resume. It's genuinely top class;

Pacman
Canelo
Maidana
Oscar De La Hoya
Arturo Gatti
Jose Luis Castillo
Juan Manuel Marquez
Hatton
Victor Ortiz
Shane Moseley
Miguel Cotto
Baldomir
Zab Judah
Diego Corrales

With a resume like that, I'm genuinely not that disheartened for him picking Berto. Besides, he'll face the winner of Canelo-Cotto, in a rematch, at the New MGM Arena, over Cinco De Mayo Weekend, next year, for a record breaking fight, worth millions.

Back