• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
We have never had a 0-0 against Carlisle at Roots Hall and our last six home matches against them are very much honours even with 2 wins apiece and 2 draws.

Saturday's man in charge is the loose cannon that is Trevor Kettle. Or, rather, ex Wing Commander Trevor Kettle who used to work for the RAF and Ministry of Defence. His Armed Forces days are behind him and he now works as the Sales Director for a firm of precision engineers in Melton Mowbray.

His “LinkedIn” profile states “I am a task-driven and team focused individual who thrives of delivering a quality output whatever the scenario. My strengths are my inter-personnel, simplifying complex matters and providing clear guidance to ensure successful output.” Well only three errors in that then, Trevor!

His last two visits to the Hall were co-incidentally both against Cheltenham. Firstly when he was good enough to send off one of theirs early on in our 4-0 win in 2011/12 (that was the last time we scored 4 goals at home in a League match – helped more than a little by Jack Butland) and more recently last season when a late, late penalty earned Cheltenham a point. Yellows for Prosser, Corr and Straker and one of theirs.

This is his 12th season as a League referee and his matches have been littered with controversy and condemnation throughout. I am sure there is not the slightest truth in the rumour that he only obtained and retained his position by virtue of his marriage to the daughter of the man who used to be in charge of Football League referees (Mr Ashworth). A referee noted for extreme over reactions and maverick decisions.

This is his 18th Southend match and we have a fantastic record with him in charge (won 12, drawn 5, lost 0); in fact there is no referee we have had a better run of results with.

However his matches have not been uneventful and include:

11/12 Cheltenham H – sent off one of theirs
11/12 AFC Wimbledon A - sent off one of theirs
10/11 Barnet A - not great - booked Hall & Easton
09/10 Brentford H - not great - booked Macca
09/10 Orient H decent game - booked Macca
08/09 Stockport H - sent off Harding
07/08 Oxford H - 8 yellows
07/08 Oldham A - sent off Richards (successfully appealed)
06/07 WBA H - 7 yellows
05/06 Bradford A - sent off one of theirs
05/06 Bournemouth H - sent off one of theirs
03/04 Canvey H - 5 yellows
03/04 Canvey A - 8 yellows and sent off Warren
03/04 Carlisle H - just 2 yellows but it was one of his first matches

He has actually had a couple of reasonable matches, especially a couple of seasons ago, when I have seen him, but needless to say these have been few and far between. His most recent away games were 2012/13 win at Aldershot (4 yellows, only Straker for us) and, in the same season our win at Wycombe in which he cautioned both of our forward pairing of Corr and Assombalonga.

Strangely his card count this season has dropped to below average with 33 yellows from 12 matches and, on a cautionary note, he has not shown a single red card.

Assistants are Daniel Cook from Gosport and Michael George (I think I’ve got that the right way round) from North Walsham in Norfolk. Gavin Muge from Bedford is 4th Official, as he was a few weeks ago here.

Elsewhere in the refereeing world, local referee Andy D'Urso from Billericay last week-end, at Newport, completed his 92 League grounds - an extremely rare and possibly unique achievement. He managed this with a combination of long service, getting chucked off the Premiership referees list and an obliging appointments officer.

We have never had a 0-0 against Carlisle at Roots Hall and our last six home matches against them are very much honours even with 2 wins apiece and 2 draws.

Saturday's man in charge is the loose cannon that is Trevor Kettle. Or, rather, ex Wing Commander Trevor Kettle who used to work for the RAF and Ministry of Defence. His Armed Forces days are behind him and he now works as the Sales Director for a firm of precision engineers in Melton Mowbray.

His “LinkedIn” profile states “I am a task-driven and team focused individual who thrives of delivering a quality output whatever the scenario. My strengths are my inter-personnel, simplifying complex matters and providing clear guidance to ensure successful output.” Well only three errors in that then, Trevor!

His last two visits to the Hall were co-incidentally both against Cheltenham. Firstly when he was good enough to send off one of theirs early on in our 4-0 win in 2011/12 (that was the last time we scored 4 goals at home in a League match – helped more than a little by Jack Butland) and more recently last season when a late, late penalty earned Cheltenham a point. Yellows for Prosser, Corr and Straker and one of theirs.

This is his 12th season as a League referee and his matches have been littered with controversy and condemnation throughout. I am sure there is not the slightest truth in the rumour that he only obtained and retained his position by virtue of his marriage to the daughter of the man who used to be in charge of Football League referees (Mr Ashworth). A referee noted for extreme over reactions and maverick decisions.

This is his 18th Southend match and we have a fantastic record with him in charge (won 12, drawn 5, lost 0); in fact there is no referee we have had a better run of results with.

However his matches have not been uneventful and include:

11/12 Cheltenham H – sent off one of theirs
11/12 AFC Wimbledon A - sent off one of theirs
10/11 Barnet A - not great - booked Hall & Easton
09/10 Brentford H - not great - booked Macca
09/10 Orient H decent game - booked Macca
08/09 Stockport H - sent off Harding
07/08 Oxford H - 8 yellows
07/08 Oldham A - sent off Richards (successfully appealed)
06/07 WBA H - 7 yellows
05/06 Bradford A - sent off one of theirs
05/06 Bournemouth H - sent off one of theirs
03/04 Canvey H - 5 yellows
03/04 Canvey A - 8 yellows and sent off Warren
03/04 Carlisle H - just 2 yellows but it was one of his first matches

He has actually had a couple of reasonable matches, especially a couple of seasons ago, when I have seen him, but needless to say these have been few and far between. His most recent away games were 2012/13 win at Aldershot (4 yellows, only Straker for us) and, in the same season our win at Wycombe in which he cautioned both of our forward pairing of Corr and Assombalonga.

Strangely his card count this season has dropped to below average with 33 yellows from 12 matches and, on a cautionary note, he has not shown a single red card.

Assistants are Daniel Cook from Gosport and Michael George (I think I’ve got that the right way round) from North Walsham in Norfolk. Gavin Muge from Bedford is 4th Official, as he was a few weeks ago here.

Elsewhere in the refereeing world, local referee Andy D'Urso from Billericay last week-end, at Newport, completed his 92 League grounds - an extremely rare and possibly unique achievement. He managed this with a combination of long service, getting chucked off the Premiership referees list and an obliging appointments officer.

How did Andy D'Urso manage to ref a Southend and a Col Ewe home game? I would have thought these wouldn't be allowed for him?

Usual good read about refs, but having never lost with him in charge and Carlisle on a losing run, the omens are not good for us.
Hope I am wrong:'(

How did Andy D'Urso manage to ref a Southend and a Col Ewe home game? I would have thought these wouldn't be allowed for him?

Southend v Cambridge many moons ago and Colchester v Doncaster, Wycombe, Ipswich, Millwall, Leyton Orient over the years. Possibly others.

Usual good read about refs, but having never lost with him in charge and Carlisle on a losing run, the omens are not good for us.
Hope I am wrong:'(

Surely that means the omens are good ?

It's not as if we don't know a fair bit about the guy for goodness sake. Surely it's all about pre match preparation......

'this is the team we are playing, these are our tactics and this is the ref we have, you know how to behave'.

I would be far more concerned if we had an unknown with the whistle. All this business about refs having it in for us is as much our fault as it is their pre-conceptions. It isn't that hard to not brass a ref off for crying out loud.

Southend v Cambridge many moons ago and Colchester v Doncaster, Wycombe, Ipswich, Millwall, Leyton Orient over the years. Possibly others.

I'm surprised Cambridge accepted that...

Must have been a tough match for Col Ewe !

They would have no say in the matter.

Maybe, but why then do referees not referee matches usually close to home? My understanding is that this is minimised in order to minimise claims of favouritism.

I'm surprised that he was allowed to referee matches so close to home.

Well done Trevor we keep our great record when you in the middle. Personally I thought the game although not the best flowed quite well as the advantage was used well and there were many soft decisions. Not sure this opinion will be shared on any Carlise message boards though.

Mr Kettle.....................I revise my opinion, you are not without hope of redemption.
To award a foul on Barry Corr is revolutionary.
I am not sure why you didn't book more, especially the dive to try to get a pen?

Mr Kettle.....................I revise my opinion, you are not without hope of redemption.
To award a foul on Barry Corr is revolutionary.
I am not sure why you didn't book more, especially the dive to try to get a pen?

Thought it was a penalty all day long, I certainly would have been screaming for it if roles were reversed!

He did well, despite looking fairly unfit. The Carlisle penalty claim looked a penalty from the East but I think the theatricl overreaction from the striker didn't help him. Kettle being so unfit and far away also helped.

He did well, despite looking fairly unfit. The Carlisle penalty claim looked a penalty from the East but I think the theatricl overreaction from the striker didn't help him. Kettle being so unfit and far away also helped.
I didn't feel it was a penalty from the south lower , striker dived and made it look theatrical to say the least in my opinion

Back