• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

leroyjean

Youth Team
First of all I have to agree with PB and quite a few of the SZ contributors: in balance there wasn’t evidence enough to award a goal. Sorry Barry.
But the mind goes back to 1966. I’ve looked into that, and I have to say the (West) Germans had a point. A 1996 study conducted by the engineering department at Oxford University concluded that the ball did not cross the line entirely and that it was 6 cm away from being a goal. (https://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~vgg/publications/1996/Reid96/reid96.pdf)
An article in the Guardian 4 years ago re-visited the Hurst goal, and the following link includes video clips that may not be quite what we wanted to see:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2011/mar/14/goal-line-technology-video-analysis
I have to say that the very idea of the ball coming back into play after crossing the line completely implies that the point of bounce would need to be 11cm behind the back of the goal-line, and for me that already leaves something of a credibility gap.
As for investing a quarter of a million per club in technology, a rather cheaper solution would be to return to square crossbars.

First of all I have to agree with PB and quite a few of the SZ contributors: in balance there wasn’t evidence enough to award a goal. Sorry Barry.
But the mind goes back to 1966. I’ve looked into that, and I have to say the (West) Germans had a point. A 1996 study conducted by the engineering department at Oxford University concluded that the ball did not cross the line entirely and that it was 6 cm away from being a goal. (https://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~vgg/publications/1996/Reid96/reid96.pdf)
An article in the Guardian 4 years ago re-visited the Hurst goal, and the following link includes video clips that may not be quite what we wanted to see:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2011/mar/14/goal-line-technology-video-analysis
I have to say that the very idea of the ball coming back into play after crossing the line completely implies that the point of bounce would need to be 11cm behind the back of the goal-line, and for me that already leaves something of a credibility gap.
As for investing a quarter of a million per club in technology, a rather cheaper solution would be to return to square crossbars.

[video=youtube;HV4nc_sjW9Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV4nc_sjW9Y[/video]

Stop that kind of talk right this minute.....................

I think it being played little more than twenty years after the war meant that the Soviet linesman who gave it was not quite as disinterested as he perhaps should have been.

EVERY German i meet,still moans,they still keep crying into their "sauerkraut" about how We cheated in 66..In 1991 Franz Beckenbaurer said live on German tv,stop moaning about it..England were the best team in the finals & final ... worthy winners...But Germans dont get beat fair,if you ask them...only yesterday,in the German papers,drugs have come up again,in German football. in the 70s-80s...even the old German keeper Schumacher said he took them...they (germans ) forget that they won the world cup 1954??(58)..every player was injected , and the first world cup ever ,where players were tested for drugs, only 2 failed!!!yes both Germans in the wcf 66.....

The 1966 goal was not clear cut, whereas Barry Corr's looks well over the line to me. As it hits the ground it's the back spin put on it by hitting that particular point on the bar, that makes it then bounce out just like Frank Lampard's.

Gawd, I wondered what this thread was about with my username!

Anyway, I was at that match (as you might have guessed) and (a) their equaliser should have been disallowed for handball and (b) we won by two clear goals so it didn't matter whether the ball crossed the line.:winking:

Well I was there also, in 1966, at the other end of the stadium, but it definately went in! Just like BBBC,s at Wimbledon.
Now here,s a thought, there were 100,000 people at the match, I was 19, I'm now 67. I was probably one of the youngest there on the day, prob av age of the crowd would have been 40 ish, so how many people are still alive today out of that 100,000? ...............20,000?.............10,000? Whatever it still means I,m getting bloody old, and too old to wait another season for League 1 football!

If memory serves, I think I bought a book of tickets for all the London-based rounds at the equivalent of 12.5p per match which was doubled (what a rip-off) for the final.

I was also at The 1966 World Cup final, standing behind the '' They Think It's All Over '' goal, the other end to Hurst's disputed goal, so impossible to tell if the ball crossed the line. I had a season ticket for all 10 of the Wembley matches, total cost was £3-15-0, which was 7/6d per match ( ie. 37p in today's money ). Yes it was nearly 49 years ago, but how the football world (and ticket prices ) have changed in that time!

Well I was there also, in 1966, at the other end of the stadium, but it definately went in! Just like BBBC,s at Wimbledon.
Now here,s a thought, there were 100,000 people at the match, I was 19, I'm now 67. I was probably one of the youngest there on the day, prob av age of the crowd would have been 40 ish, so how many people are still alive today out of that 100,000? ...............20,000?.............10,000? Whatever it still means I,m getting bloody old, and too old to wait another season for League 1 football!

I'm guessing if you actually asked people if they were there that day you would still get yes responses from about 200,000 people!

Back