• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United manager Phil Brown explains Shaq Coulthirst's return to Tottenham Hot

Evening Echo

The News
SHAQ Coulthirst’s loan spell at Southend United has been cut short by his parent club Tottenham Hotspur.

More...

Shame he didn't go back to Spurs before Lee signed for Luton, especially as Ron shares PB's view about another forward. Such is life I guess.

Shame it didn't work out as his attitude seemed good enough but for me he lack composure in front of goal and will be in the lower levels of league two at best throughout his career

Very poor management on Brown's behalf, it's obvious that since Xmas Shaq was not viewed as good enough to start - the loan signings of Piggott and Cassidy cemented that further.

In my opinion Shaq shouls have been sent back a lot sooner and replaced with a fresh approach - Elliott Lee being one of those....I really hope Lee doesn;t come back to bite us late in the season @ The Hall or in the play offs.

Poor from Brown and yet another poor signing overall

I'm not sure he ever got a fair crack of the whip and its a shame he has gone as he offered us dsomething different upfront. We currently have Cassidy, Piggott & Corr who are all similar in style so we are lacking a plan B which Shaq offered us. I'm also of the opinion that Brown doesn't get the best out of Weston and he should feature more than he does.

So he said we didn't need another striker. Hence we didn't go back in again for Lee. Coulthirst goes back and now “if the right player became available then I would certainly look to bring him in.” Sorry, but this is very poor from Brown. Send Coulthirst back a month or so ago, get Lee in (who he's wanted for some time), job done.

So he said we didn't need another striker. Hence we didn't go back in again for Lee. Coulthirst goes back and now “if the right player became available then I would certainly look to bring him in.” Sorry, but this is very poor from Brown. Send Coulthirst back a month or so ago, get Lee in (who he's wanted for some time), job done.

I think many of us feel exactly the same way

Shame he didn't go back to Spurs before Lee signed for Luton, especially as Ron shares PB's view about another forward. Such is life I guess.

I don't know how loan deals work, but maybe there was a 'penalty' if he was 'sent' back, but nothing if he was recalled.

Waste of a loan here. Talented player that we've done nothing with. Spent the first part of the season playing on the left hand side of a front 3 (not his position). Then dropped and used sparingly since. If I was Spurs I've had recalled him a while back and farmed him out to Mansfield.

Sadly he was not what we wanted. We thrive on a collection of steady central midfielders and an abundance of Centre Halves. Why would we want a goal scorer when we just about score a goal a game!

Sadly he was not what we wanted. We thrive on a collection of steady central midfielders and an abundance of Centre Halves. Why would we want a goal scorer when we just about score a goal a game!

But that is just the point. he wasn't anywhere near enough of a goal scorer to be worthwhile keeping.

I'm not sure he ever got a fair crack of the whip and its a shame he has gone as he offered us dsomething different upfront. We currently have Cassidy, Piggott & Corr who are all similar in style so we are lacking a plan B which Shaq offered us. I'm also of the opinion that Brown doesn't get the best out of Weston and he should feature more than he does.

He got more than a fair crack of the whip.

We created more chances with him in the team than without; sadly, he missed 90% of them.

But that is just the point. he wasn't anywhere near enough of a goal scorer to be worthwhile keeping.

Sorry this wasn't a post to say we should have kept him, more a dispirited reflection on the high level stratergy in that we are (in Phil's own words) not unhappy to be 0-0 at HT, but to grind out a win, if we can, but from a position of keeping a clean sheet.

Can you name any player that has improved under Brown? I can't and that sums him up, no coach:sad:

Dan Bentley, Luke Prosser, seem to have improved under Phil Brown

Back