• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"Star in a reasonably priced fracas"

I enjoy(ed) Top Gear because it's friends mucking about and there are nice cars. There wasn't any need for the alleged racism (the angle they built the bridge and the nursery rhyme) as who would find that funny? Then to top it all off, attacking a work colleague deserves the sack whomever you are. It's a shame but the BBC are right.

Personally I don't care much for Top Gear or any of it's presenters. I used to enjoy it but it just became too predictable and tiresome of late. Anyway, Clarkson slapped a worked colleague causing injury. Could someone bemoaning the decision taken by the BBC please tell me in what other industry or workplace would that be an acceptable thing to do to the point that you kept your job? I don't care how much money he brought to the BBC. He apparently assaulted someone and thus deserves all he gets.

Personally I don't care much for Top Gear or any of it's presenters. I used to enjoy it but it just became too predictable and tiresome of late. Anyway, Clarkson slapped a worked colleague causing injury. Could someone bemoaning the decision taken by the BBC please tell me in what other industry or workplace would that be an acceptable thing to do to the point that you kept your job? I don't care how much money he brought to the BBC. He apparently assaulted someone and thus deserves all he gets.

Football!!

This.

Top Gear fans need to be bracketed with the same GROWN MEN who watch wrestling. Man-children with questionable hard-drives who need to be on some kind of register. And don't get me started on that Guido Fawkes oddball, if ever there was a man with too much time on his hands...

Get off that high horse man.

Why is it younger people always think they know better than older people with more experience of life. *Sigh*

Please, O Enlightened Elder Gandalf, bestow onto me the wisdom and experience required to comprehend Top Gear's popularity and how assaulting a colleague is behaviour befitting a 54-year old.

Get off that high horse man.

Exactly. Some people watch tv not for any intellectual reason, but actually for ENTERTAINMENT. Some might like to try it some time.
Why OBL! Punching a workmate is ok? Just no.
Not condoning that behaviour, but I'm sure they could have come up with something that served as a punishment whilst retaining his contract.

I'm gutted personally, it's easy watching and always brings a good laugh. I like cars and have watched top gear for absolutely years, I watched it when it was like Fifth gear and more about the cars than the challenges and comedy.

Shame, oh well always Dave repeats and no doubt Clarkson and co will be back on another channel.

I'm sure they could have come up with something that served as a punishment whilst retaining his contract.

You work in an estate agency, do you not? Let's say, for example, the top agent at your firm - middle-aged bloke, shiny suit, has been warned a couple of times for some bigoted jokes around the water cooler but he's a "real top bloke" and is responsible for the majority of your firm's sales - tomorrow afternoon he pops you in the mouth, leaving you requiring hospital treatment, because you brought him a glass of water instead of the cup of tea he asked for. You'd be willing for him to return to work on Friday morning and retain his job? Righto.

You work in an estate agency, do you not? Let's say, for example, the top agent at your firm - middle-aged bloke, shiny suit, has been warned a couple of times for some bigoted jokes around the water cooler but he's a "real top bloke" and is responsible for the majority of your firm's sales - tomorrow afternoon he pops you in the mouth, leaving you requiring hospital treatment, because you brought him a glass of water instead of the cup of tea he asked for. You'd be willing for him to return to work on Friday morning and retain his job? Righto.

Like a the BBC editor who bit a junior colleague and later became Director General? I know it's different but double standards perhaps.

I like Top Gear, but you can't really allow the 'talent' to verbally abuse BBC employees, or put them in hospital.

I think there might be a pay rise for May and Hammond to stay with the show. Let's face it neither would be as rich or famous had they not appeared on Top Gear. May's Toy Stories and that one where he flew in a U2 plane were quite good, but I doubt he would have been able to have got either made had it not been for his Top Gear fame. I don't really remember much of what Hammond has done outside Top Gear other than a few adverts, Brainiac and talking about red balls on Total Wipeout.

I think TG could survive and thrive with a new, perhaps totally different presenter. Maybe someone like Jay Leno who has been on the show and is a total car nut, or Jodie Kidd.

I think the BBC have got it right, as sad as that is. They can't be seen to condone Clarkson's behaviour but it is a real shame as I thoroughly enjoyed TG and happen to quite like Clarkson.

In response to ESB's analogy.. It's not right, but it does happen. I know of instances where guys who bring in stupid money and behave stupidly and violently, much like Clarkson did, have not been let go because the people who made the decision based it on what was best commercially for the company.

I'd wager if this was a private company and not an organisation funded by the taxpayer Mr Clarkson would have kept his job.

I'm gutted personally, it's easy watching and always brings a good laugh. I like cars and have watched top gear for absolutely years, I watched it when it was like Fifth gear and more about the cars than the challenges and comedy.

Shame, oh well always Dave repeats and no doubt Clarkson and co will be back on another channel.

Me too. It's actually one of the only programmes both myself and my wife watch. It stopped being about cars years ago, and is now just about 3 mates having a laugh. It's the only programme that has had me literally crying with laughter for a very long time.

I'm upset that they have got rid of Clarkson because the whole dynamic of the programme will be lost. However, I don't think the BBC had any other choice.

This.

Top Gear fans need to be bracketed with the same GROWN MEN who watch wrestling. Man-children with questionable hard-drives who need to be on some kind of register. And don't get me started on that Guido Fawkes oddball, if ever there was a man with too much time on his hands...
Not true. I hate wrestling.

Please, O Enlightened Elder Gandalf, bestow onto me the wisdom and experience required to comprehend Top Gear's popularity and how assaulting a colleague is behaviour befitting a 54-year old.

Sorry I missed this reply..you are correct nobody should be able to get away with smacking a part of their team..I do however not agree with the two rules that seem to apply to others over the years.. Of course time has moved on but the days of Saville et-al were ignored and yet today The BBC are trying to become whiter than white whilst it seems shooting their own Golden egg in the foot.

It's a Grey area in my opinion but it seems now they have done what they feel is right and TG will become another money spinner for Murdoch and his cronies under the guise of Top Speed.

Much love ....Gandolf.:winking:

I wonder what they will do with the 3 'lost' episodes if Hammond and May do not stay?

Wrestlemania was fantastic on Sunday, don't you agree? Good to see the Undertaker back.

The thing everyone forgets here is that Clarkson has been sacked. Its not like you or I getting sacked, where we would struggle to find a job with "hit a colleague" as a reference from our previous employer. He will get snapped up by SKY or ITV given a hefty pay cheque and told to carry on doing what he has been doing for years. In essence this is not a punishment, it is just a change of employer. Hardly sends out a decent moral message, does it.

Wrestlemania was fantastic on Sunday, don't you agree? Good to see the Undertaker back.

The thing everyone forgets here is that Clarkson has been sacked. Its not like you or I getting sacked, where we would struggle to find a job with "hit a colleague" as a reference from our previous employer. He will get snapped up by SKY or ITV given a hefty pay cheque and told to carry on doing what he has been doing for years. In essence this is not a punishment, it is just a change of employer. Hardly sends out a decent moral message, does it.

Has he been sacked though as opposed to not having his contract renewed?

I stopped watching that wrestling stuff when my kids grew up, but the Undertaker? He must be about 80.

Back