• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend to become a City??

Razam

Coach
From the BBC's Prime Minister's Questions feed...

12:27: A new city?
Sir David Amess, the Conservative backbencher for Southend West, wants David Cameron to outline which policies will continue the economic recovery. And he says he wants Southend to be made a city, too. The PM congratulates him for the "consistency of his campaign" on this but doesn't promise anything. On the "long-term economic plan", of course, he has rather a lot more to say.

Does it make any difference if it is or not? MK calls itself a city when it's not (officially).

Isn't having a cathedral needed?

Noooooo...Urban myth.

A town can now apply for city status by submitting an application to the Lord Chancellor, who makes recommendations to the sovereign. Competitions for new grants of city status have been held to mark special events, such as coronations, royal jubilees or the Millennium.

The actual Q&A from PMQs
http://www.parliament.uk/business/p...mmons/todays-commons-debates/read/unknown/95/

Sir David Amess (Southend West) (Con):
With unemployment falling in Southend, enterprises expanding and 310 new businesses being created, will my right hon. Friend describe to the House which Government policies will see this recovery continuing so that the irresistible and unstoppable case for Southend to be made a city actually happens?

The Prime Minister
:
Can I once again commend my hon. Friend on the consistency of his campaign to see Southend recognised in that way? He asked me what policies will make a difference and continue to bring businesses to Southend. We are cutting the jobs tax for businesses and charities, and that is helping; we have got the lowest rate of corporation tax in the G7, and that is helping; we are abolishing national insurance contributions for under-21s; and we are extending the doubling of the small business rate relief. All of these things, sticking to our long-term economic plan as the OECD, IMF and others have advised us to, can make sure that Southend can continue to grow and perform well.

Noooooo...Urban myth.

A town can now apply for city status by submitting an application to the Lord Chancellor, who makes recommendations to the sovereign. Competitions for new grants of city status have been held to mark special events, such as coronations, royal jubilees or the Millennium.

Dunno about that but the first time I went to Brum I asked for a town map at New Street Station.The salesgirl at WH Smith's was really miffed and said (in her best Brummie accent), "Birmingham's a city.We've got a cathedral here, you know." :smile:

Dunno about that but the first time I went to Brum I asked for a town map at New Street Station.The salesgirl at WH Smith's was really miffed and said (in her best Brummie accent), "Birmingham's a city.We've got a cathedral here, you know." :smile:

You've been miffing people off for decades.

Back