• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As an oldie I find most grounds a challenge these days. Lack of hand rails on steps is a clear risk and not sure why health and safety standards appear to be reduced at football grounds.
Best wishes for her health of course.

Hands rails at useful heights on steps would impact on the view from a large number of the seats unfortunately.

Thanks cricko. I've donated. It pleases me no end to see that so many people at this club care about each other as opposed to football matters only. I am so glad I picked SUFC as my club when so many people were trying to force Wet Spam or Spurs on me as a kid. I'm not cockney, I'm a Southender!

Totally agree, especially when you have giant concrete steps to negotiate. This does frustrate me with the way ticketing works at away games, you should be able to request seats where you don't have to climb a mountain of steps if you or one of your party is elderly or has some minor mobility problems, like dodgy knees or hips.

Our ticket office may not be the best in the world (understatement of the year entry), but they're normally pretty obliging if you have a need for particular seats.

Sad to hear this and hope the lady makes a fully recovery.

I was born with a genetic condition which makes football stadiums really tough for me. I have one of the most common inherited neurological disorders but hardly anybody (including doctors frustratingly) have heard of it. I had a nasty fall at Colchester about ten years ago and spent the second half in the medical room. Was fun walking (hobbling) past the Col U fans though with us 2-0 up.

I take the point about bannisters impeding views but some stadiums have those poles on every other or every third step which people can use for balance but trying to navigate steep steps is a real challenge for some of us. I often get to the stadium early so that I don't have to navigate crowds on steps and leave last so that again, the issue of crowds of steps isn't a problem.

UTB

I think it would be a great gesture if the club would treat this lady to a VIP experience at Roots Hall when she is well enough to attend a home game. Complimentary tickets and introduction to the team would be good publicity for the club as well as a way of rewarding a loyal fan. Is there anyone in touch with the club who could speak to them about this? It would send out a message that the club values their supporters. I wish the lady concerned a speedy recovery. We are one family, we are Southend United.

Our ticket office may not be the best in the world (understatement of the year entry), but they're normally pretty obliging if you have a need for particular seats.

Are they? Whenever I've asked about tickets for away grounds trying to think about my dad who is in his mid 70s, for instance, I get told they have to sell them in order and they have no way in knowing if it's an aisle - which is what I normally try to get him.

I think it would be a great gesture if the club would treat this lady to a VIP experience at Roots Hall when she is well enough to attend a home game. Complimentary tickets and introduction to the team would be good publicity for the club as well as a way of rewarding a loyal fan. Is there anyone in touch with the club who could speak to them about this? It would send out a message that the club values their supporters. I wish the lady concerned a speedy recovery. We are one family, we are Southend United.

Will draw this thread to SK's attention.

Right that's it. Next time we score I'm diving head first down the concrete steps. I'm well up for a personal intro. Any chance of a complimentary season ticket as well next season. Surely it's the least they can do.

Hands rails at useful heights on steps would impact on the view from a large number of the seats unfortunately.
An extension on each end seat is all that is required and it should be mandatory. The only reason it is not done is due to costs. I guess the majority of fans negotiate steps easily without problems as I did when I was younger. I often see older fans using the shoulders of sitting fans to assist in negotiating steps. Perhaps grounds could incorporate a codgers area. Disabled are catered for, so why not us older ones. Crumbling hips and age worn knees should not prevent us enjoying attendance at away grounds rather than fretting about falling.:winking:

Last edited:
An extension on each end seat is all that is required and it should be mandatory. The only reason it is not done is due to costs. I guess the majority of fans negotiate steps easily without problems as I did when I was younger. I often see older fans using the shoulders of sitting fans to assist in negotiating steps. Perhaps grounds could incorporate a codgers area. Disabled are catered for, so why not us older ones. Crumbling hips and age worn kness should not prevent us enjoying attendance at away grounds rather than fretting about falling.:winking:
Someone rep this man!

The Daggers stand is really steep, probably the steepest I've been in. The only plus side really is the generous leg room in the seats, not that I need it but for someone with long legs behind you, a knee in the back for 90 mins isn't nice

Millenium stadium takes some beating...if you're measuring "the angle of the dangle"

The Daggers stand is really steep, probably the steepest I've been in. The only plus side really is the generous leg room in the seats, not that I need it but for someone with long legs behind you, a knee in the back for 90 mins isn't nice
Your right it is steep and also the steps are very narrow something which I had to negotiate carefully.
I had the misfortune of having seats right up the back yesterday and I hate sitting right up the back mainly because I have a terrible fear of heights. It was my mistake as I normally check where the seats are but I purchased the tickets as soon as they went on sale (only because I was going away on holiday) never again though as they sell from the top down.

I do hope the lady makes a swift recovery

Hope the lady makes a speedy recovery.

The Dagenham steps were bad enough but the steepest I have encountered this season so far was Stevenage, with my two dodgy knees. At least at Dagenham your knees are not pinned against the seat in front unlike Stevenage and Sixfields.

Is there anyone in touch with the club who could speak to them about this? It would send out a message that the club values their supporters. I wish the lady concerned a speedy recovery. We are one family, we are Southend United.
The club know and will endeavour to do something with/for the lady concerned.

Good Afternoon.i am the son of the lady that took a fall at Saturdays Dagenham game.

Firstly, All my family and myself would like to say a very very very big Thank you from the bottom of our hearts with regards to all the well wishers wishing my mum better.

I showed my mum the thread today, she was quite taken aback by the well wishers who have posted on here, she was not expecting that, but said it did make her feel better.

it is not nice to see your 75 year old mum take fall in any situation especially after a really nice day out.
All I remember is at the last minute seeing my mum land heavily on her right side at the bottom of the steps. Junior had seen what was happening as he was behind her on the steps and managed to get a hold of his nan but lost grip with her forward momentum, throwing him onto the steps. I rushed up to help my mum, but as I got to her a man from nowhere popped up and told me not to move her and was holding her head and arm steady, then a lady supporter with medical knowledge appeared to my left and then some one appeared to my right to assist,

what I am trying to say is, normally in times of need you look around asking for help and people dont want to get involved and just look in the other direction. But on that day, within what seemed like 15 seconds there was already 3 people around me helping, all knowing what they were doing. All we could do was to look on and watch.

So again, a really big heart felt thank you to the lady supporter to my left, the gentleman who also tried to stop her falling and to the supporters who tried to get the stewards attention.

My mum is still in hospital, her dislocated shoulder was popped back in on Saturday night and she is just now waiting to have an operation on her wrist but should be out on Wednesday. Hopefully.

i must also say that all the Dagenham staff at the ground were fantastic, from the stewards to the medical staff, a representative from Dagenham's ground has been in touch with us everyday so far, wishing well.

Thank you again for all your kind comments.

Snr.

Good Afternoon.i am the son of the lady that took a fall at Saturdays Dagenham game.

Firstly, All my family and myself would like to say a very very very big Thank you from the bottom of our hearts with regards to all the well wishers wishing my mum better.

I showed my mum the thread today, she was quite taken aback by the well wishers who have posted on here, she was not expecting that, but said it did make her feel better.

it is not nice to see your 75 year old mum take fall in any situation especially after a really nice day out.
All I remember is at the last minute seeing my mum land heavily on her right side at the bottom of the steps. Junior had seen what was happening as he was behind her on the steps and managed to get a hold of his nan but lost grip with her forward momentum, throwing him onto the steps. I rushed up to help my mum, but as I got to her a man from nowhere popped up and told me not to move her and was holding her head and arm steady, then a lady supporter with medical knowledge appeared to my left and then some one appeared to my right to assist,

what I am trying to say is, normally in times of need you look around asking for help and people dont want to get involved and just look in the other direction. But on that day, within what seemed like 15 seconds there was already 3 people around me helping, all knowing what they were doing. All we could do was to look on and watch.

So again, a really big heart felt thank you to the lady supporter to my left, the gentleman who also tried to stop her falling and to the supporters who tried to get the stewards attention.

My mum is still in hospital, her dislocated shoulder was popped back in on Saturday night and she is just now waiting to have an operation on her wrist but should be out on Wednesday. Hopefully.

i must also say that all the Dagenham staff at the ground were fantastic, from the stewards to the medical staff, a representative from Dagenham's ground has been in touch with us everyday so far, wishing well.

Thank you again for all your kind comments.

Snr.

Great news! Just in time for Burton game!!

Are they? Whenever I've asked about tickets for away grounds trying to think about my dad who is in his mid 70s, for instance, I get told they have to sell them in order and they have no way in knowing if it's an aisle - which is what I normally try to get him.

They genuinely do not know which are aisle seats but they will generally manage to find one near the front to avoid stairs. You would have to do your own research to ensure the entrance does not come in at the top of the stand !

It was my mistake as I normally check where the seats are but I purchased the tickets as soon as they went on sale (only because I was going away on holiday) never again though as they sell from the top down.

Don't think they give it that much thought.

I think you'll find they sell from the top of the pile down !

Your right it is steep and also the steps are very narrow something which I had to negotiate carefully.
I had the misfortune of having seats right up the back yesterday and I hate sitting right up the back mainly because I have a terrible fear of heights. It was my mistake as I normally check where the seats are but I purchased the tickets as soon as they went on sale (only because I was going away on holiday) never again though as they sell from the top down.

I do hope the lady makes a swift recovery

I don't think its that simple. We were in the back row at Dagenham and at least 600 tickets had already been sold. Maybe they are sold from the back, but one block at a time - I could maybe understand that

Back